New animations

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Henkutsu: You've done a bit with the hair, but you need to do a lot more - the hair will take at least 300ms longer than the rest of the body to land - preferably 500ms.

This means several frames of hair drifting down and landing.

Zookeeper: Great Job! Commit at will.

Skizzaltix: Possibly good - lemme verify that the team color swatch is right.
henkutsu

Post by henkutsu »

500ms? Well, O.K. You're the boss.

I'm going to add another frame or so to the beginning of the second part of her fall as well, to make it slowly sped up. Maybe ad da bit of a bounce at the end? (that would be where the hair finishes falling.) Glad to see it wasn't rejected outright. I'm abit nervous doing this as it is only the third animation I've ever done. (All praise the GIMP!)
lachlanTheMad wrote:I have a premonition of imminent pain..
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

I got an idea on henkutsu's shyde animation! It was mentioned that the wings disintegrate first because they belong to magical part of the shyde and that part dies first or something.

What would you say if the wings just got blown away/dissappeared. Not only break and fall down... More like what I've done. (It's a quick and poorly done hack, but serves as a mock-up. It's way too fast in the first place...)

Good idea? Bad idea?

This could be better with that upcoming particle system though.
Attachments
shyde_die_deserter_mod.gif
shyde_die_deserter_mod.gif (8.79 KiB) Viewed 4020 times
henkutsu

Post by henkutsu »

It was mentioned that the wings disintegrate first because they belong to magical part of the shyde and that part dies first or something.
Hahahaha. I have been working on it and remembered that myself after I did the hair. I think I chose the wrong colours though... again.
I did alot of work on the hair, it floats a fair bit before it comes down. By itself it looks awsome. I think the disolving of the wings upstage it too much though. I'm not very happy with the disolving.(plus you don't notice the awsome effects on her hair, the bouncing head, how she moves her hands, the hips etc)

By the end of it, it is now 2800ms and 16 frames long... :roll:

thoughts are welcome.
Attachments
shyde_die_henkutsu_mod6HairNSparklesGrassTest.gif
shyde_die_henkutsu_mod6HairNSparklesGrassTest.gif (75.35 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
shyde_die_henkutsu_mod6HairNSparkles.gif
shyde_die_henkutsu_mod6HairNSparkles.gif (16.27 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Here's some footpad melee action. Footpads can look like they're drunk, right? :D Have to make the hair in the last two frames to be like the hair in the base frame, though. And maybe the last two frames need to switch places as well.

Committed, with the mentioned fixes.
henkutsu wrote:thoughts are welcome.
I think the wings looked much better when they just shattered and fell to the ground. Otherwise, it's looking really good at least to me.
Attachments
footpad-melee.png
footpad-melee.png (29.91 KiB) Viewed 3995 times
Last edited by zookeeper on May 18th, 2006, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

The new hair is good, the new wings not so much. Can you combine the new hair with the old disintigrating wings? And maybe utilize the alpha channel a bit more so it looks less like big square pixel pieces of wings and more like .. uhh fairy dust?
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

zookeeper: Once again, very good work, commit at will.
:P That guy kinda looks like he's doing a Monty Python SillyWalkâ„¢, but I also do thing it'll look good in-game.

Skizzaltix: It wasn't quite right - there were a few pixels that didn't have the correct team-color. However, it was close enough that, since it was just one frame, I was able to quickly clean it up and commit it.

Thanks.

henkutsu:
Woodwizzle wrote:The new hair is good, the new wings not so much. Can you combine the new hair with the old disintigrating wings? And maybe utilize the alpha channel a bit more so it looks less like big square pixel pieces of wings and more like .. uhh fairy dust?
I agree with woodwizzle - I'd go back to doing the disintegration animation you had before - I'd also make said disintegration animation more smooth.

To achieve said "smoothness", you're going to need more frames, and you're also have to apply all the changes that are supposed to be happening - within each frame.

If her wing is disintegrating, you can't only have chunks flaking away every other frame - to make it smooth, it has to be every frame, and each one has to be unique.

The other big thing, and I'm sorry for not mentioning it earlier, is that the perspective isn't quite right - when sprawled out on the ground, the body should stretch some 2-4 pixels further downward.
the awsome effects on her hair, the bouncing head, how she moves her hands, the hips etc)
These are all very nice touches, and it was a good idea for you to have put them in.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Jetryl wrote:zookeeper:

Skizzaltix: It wasn't quite right - there were a few pixels that didn't have the correct team-color. However, it was close enough that, since it was just one frame, I was able to quickly clean it up and commit it.

Thanks.
You're welcome.

I'll redo some of the other frames--Expect them sometime around this afternoon.
henkutsu

Post by henkutsu »

Thankyou VERY much for the advice. Like I said, this is only my third animation and the last two where just very simple ones (my old avatar and a bouncing duck).

I've taken out the sparkles and am working will be working on the rest.
Actually, the disolve doesn't look too bad just as is (minus sparkles.)

I'm thinking that, apart from the perspective move, I shouldn't mess with the body anymore. So to add the extra frames, I'm just gonna duplicate every frame and then shorten them to 50ms per frame. This should get me the space I need.

Anyhow, I'll just post what it looks like -sparkles at the moment.

EDIT: Oh, and gif doesn't seem to be able to do alpha channel (I tried that). What format should I use?
EDIT2: Uploaded version with body shift (Haven't redone shadow much yet.)
Attachments
shyde_die_henkutsu_mod7b.gif
shyde_die_henkutsu_mod7b.gif (26.39 KiB) Viewed 3910 times
Last edited by henkutsu on May 16th, 2006, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Well, I got these done faster than I thought I would.
Attachments
Boneshooters
Boneshooters
Boneshoots2.png (26.41 KiB) Viewed 3908 times
boneshoots.zip
Boneshooter archive
(13.69 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

henkutsu wrote:Thankyou VERY much for the advice. Like I said, this is only my third animation and the last two where just very simple ones (my old avatar and a bouncing duck).

I've taken out the sparkles and am working will be working on the rest.
Actually, the disolve doesn't look too bad just as is (minus sparkles.)
Actually, I'd stretch out the "dissolve" by several frames as well. Right now it's not so much a dissolve as an explosion. Referring to the latest .gif - the wings are there in frames 5 and 7 and 9, but then ... lose 90% of their volume immediately thereafter - I'd make the whole process a lot more gradual.

One head-up based on what you say below - we're not bound to equal time intervals per frame - we can have different frames last for different amounts of time, at least in-game.
henkutsu wrote:I'm thinking that, apart from the perspective move, I shouldn't mess with the body anymore. So to add the extra frames, I'm just gonna duplicate every frame and then shorten them to 50ms per frame. This should get me the space I need.

EDIT2: Uploaded version with body shift (Haven't redone shadow much yet.)
The body now looks right. Good work.
henkutsu wrote:EDIT: Oh, and gif doesn't seem to be able to do alpha channel (I tried that). What format should I use?
Gifs are fine for demonstrations, like what you've been posting so far, but all final frames must be in 24-bit PNG format, and for certain parts, transparency must be applied (the shadow being a great example - it has to be 60% opaque).

It is best to take all of the final PNG frames, and post them in a single .zip file.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Lieutenant - team colored animations
Attachments
Lieutenant.zip
(9.49 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Here is the orc xbowman melee animation that I promised.

ps he is stepping, honest, it just isn't very obvious (look at his feet)
Last edited by Ranger M on May 16th, 2006, 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Ranger M wrote:Here is the orc xbowman melee animation that I promised.

Won't that look a bit weird, he's going towards the enemy at the same time. Looks good though.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Disto wrote:
Ranger M wrote:Here is the orc xbowman melee animation that I promised.

Won't that look a bit weird, he's going towards the enemy at the same time. Looks good though.
probably true, but I remember reading somewhere that all new melee animations should step in the direction they are moving in.

BTW, why does the leutenant's ranged frame have lines across it?