Scenario 10: Gryphon Mountain

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Scenario Review: HttT - Gryphon Mountain

Post by zookeeper »

Nkwazi wrote:I think there's an AI glitch that makes the Queen head into the enemy. Maybe this resulted from a recent update?
It should be fixed in 1.8.0.
BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.6

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?
3, and that from the Mother Gryphon. The loyalists aren't very hard given that the player should now have various advanced units. The ogres are a nice touch.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Not terribly- not to beat a dead horse, you need to spell out that killing the Mother Gryphon gets you the eggs.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear aside from the above issues.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Enticing the Mother Gryphon to come after me and not to wander off towards the loyalists. And the chaos caused by the Loyalists on the mountain.

But mostly, the fact that "waking up" a Gryphon on your turn doesn't hurt it!

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?
4 - would be better with a smarter Mother Gryphon/ eggs in her nest rather than with her or at the very least better dialogue. So much potential, but currently too much of a headache.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
As mentioned above:

Put the eggs in the Gryphon's nest, not with her. Or make her less suicidal. Or at the very minimum make the dialog clearer. Maybe make the sleeping Gryphons attack whoever wakes them up. Make sleeping Gryphons have 20% dodge (because they're asleep).

But most importantly, let me not have to waste a unit's attacks "waking up" a Gryphon.
roman_sharp

Post by roman_sharp »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Normal, 1.8.3

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

4, not difficult

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Good.

None.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

I found the enemy behavior somewhat strange - they don't pack together, scattering their forces, 2 horsemen were sent away at all, they go attack griphons and griphons attack them, so I don't have much challenge, one of griphons was still sleeping when I killed its mother. Maybe this can be changed a bit.
Orcus_Christ

Re: Scenario 10: Gryphon Mountain

Post by Orcus_Christ »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(1) Medium. Version 1.8
(2) 4.
(3) Clear enough.
(4) Good.
(5) Killing the mother gryphon before the enemy does.
(6) 6.
(7) It's easier for the enemies to reach the mother first. It's annoying, since you have to slowly climb up the mountain.
Island

Post by Island »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Hard, 1.8

5 overall, rescuing the mermen, defending from the elves after killing the undead and where you meet the thieves were the tough ones IMO around 7.

Clear, except for the griffon one where I couldn't get the eggs simply because the enemies finished off the, too easy, mother a turn before me...(I also didn't realise you needed to finish the mother to get the eggs until finishing and realising I did not get them despite going onto them ) The other gryphons were also too easy. Any way to edit the file so as not to have to do it again?
EDIT got the eggs rushing there with my elvish riders.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline of the scenario?

Good, apart from above but, slightly repetitive.

Dividing the enemies to finish them in my own time.

Only the griffon one. Pump the mother and other gryphons up and give similar access to enemies into mountains. Also, I didn't use rogues in the griffon scenario but could they do a coup de grace on the sleeping griffons?
Cheers
Last edited by Island on December 7th, 2010, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Island wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Clear, except for the griffon one where I couldn't get the eggs simply because the enemies finished off the, too easy, mother a turn before me...(I also didn't realise you needed to finish the mother to get the eggs until finishing and realising I did not get them despite going onto them ) Any way to edit the file so as not to have to do it again?
Sure, just use the debug mode at any point before "Plunging into the Darkness":

Code: Select all

:debug
:set_var get_gryphons=1
Island

Post by Island »

Cheers,
I did the scenario again. But I will look into that when I need it. I was looking all over before deciding to just do it again.
GagarinGambit

Post by GagarinGambit »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Hard, 1.8.4

3, Easy

Clear enough

Clear but not interesting

None

5, average

A few ideas are mentioned above, I don't think I have anything more to add.
Linux. Space technology.
B33fh013

Post by B33fh013 »

Hey Guys,

the gryphon mountain scenario is really bothering.

First time i played it the enemy killed the gryphon queen - i didn't thought that would be a problem so i played on. After winning the scenario i got that conversation that tells me "to bad we didnt get the eggs".

First Annoying Point: Had to play the map again. *grml*

Second Playthru - no problem so far. Could get the Queen without much problems and thought - again: Finally i've got it!

Won the scenario again and got the message that we got the eggs and can soon recruit gryphon riders.

Played the next map - used only Mermen, because they fit best. Didnt try to recruit gryphons. One Scenario later (the first snowy one) i tried to recruit gryphons and saw: Well, no Gryphons!

Second Annoying Point: Possible Bug - i definitly succeed the hunt for the gryphon eggs but the game wont recognize.

Googled for the Problem and got here. Read about the debug mode and tried it: Doesn't work.
After typing "debug" in Debug Mode i got the answer: Debug mode activated.
After typing "set_var get_gryphons=1" - nothing happens.
Still no gryphons!

Third Annoying Point: Possible Bug is deeper then the easy debug command could fix.

What can i do to get my hard-earned gryphons?

Greetings from Germany.
The Game rocks, but this bug really bothers me...
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Not a bug.
You get them once you get their riders - when meeting the dwarves.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.9.4, Normal

If you want to just kill all enemies: 1 – no problem at all
If you want to NOT kill any of the griffons: 11 – seems impossible to avoid killing some of them
If you want to get the eggs: 11 – seems impossible to get to the queen before the enemy forces do

Clear

Fine

There were no real challenges, just things that were practically impossible

0 – extremely frustrating due to reasons explained below

1) Change the scenario so that the griffons will attack ONLY the side attacking them. In other words they will attack me only if I attack them first
2) Give me some way to reach the griffon queen before the enemy – currently that seems impossible. Well, maybe if I use Shydes, Sylphs and/or Outriders… but I had just one Shyde and 1 Outrider (no Sylphs), and that’s just not enough
3) Make the griffons actually attack the humans, and add at least one more griffon guarding the queen
4) When a griffon gets attacked wake up all the other griffons and make them swarm the attacker

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No, unless I decide I want those eggs after all, or that I want to save the griffons.

Thoughts:
This scenario turned out to be extremely annoying. For some mysterious reason after waking up the stupid griffons decided to attack ME and ignore the humans that are actually attacking them, allowing the AI free access to the queen (not that there’s much stopping them to begin with). I was forced to kill all except the queen (the AI killed her). Looking at the scenario code it seems like this will have consequences later, which is what frustrates me the most because I’ll get penalized for things that were out of my control. I had no desire to kill ANY griffons and was planning to just pass by, but that proved impossible! :(

Also, looking at the code it SEEMS (I could be wrong here) that EVERY time I attack a griffon the variable gryphon_disposition is decreased, while said variable is increased only the first time side 2 attacks the griffons.

In any case this scenario frustrated me to the point where I have no desire to continue the campaign. I’ll probably replay the scenario tomorrow, but with me controlling the griffons. Yes, I know it’s cheating, but I just HATE it when I have to depend on the AI doing what I want it to do, and trying to manipulate the AI’s moves and decisions by changing my recruits and my moves until I get the desired result.

Or maybe I'll just use debug to make it as if I got the eggs anyway.
Attachments
HttT-Gryphon_Mountain_replay.gz
(37.29 KiB) Downloaded 793 times
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty level and version? Challenging (hard); 1.9.5; 200 starting gold (the minimum)
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 4 to win, 8 to get the eggs (+-2 for luck)
(3) How clear? One would expect to get the eggs by stepping on the appropriate hex.
(4) Dialog? Okay.
(5) Challenges? Killing the queen before the enemy, plus surviving the enemy's attacks.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 8
(7) Changes This scenario is the most in need of changes in the campaign thus far. Change it so that the first side to step on the queen's hex gets the eggs. Also, if the enemy gets the eggs, then they should get Gryphons later, if it would work with the storyline. And is it true that if Delfador tries to zap a sleeping Gryphon, it does no damage and only wakes it up (and same for other attacks)? That has got to be changed. Finally, posting some guards near the leader would make the ending more interesting and would thwart some assassination attempts.
(8) Restarts/reloads? My leader died from a Walking Corpse style attack of wounded Ogres. I restarted from start. No save-loads.

Replay is corrupt, so not attached, but here is a screenshot:

I sent units as quickly as possible towards the queen Gryphon, while my loyal Paladin flanked around the west side and a weak force handled the east flank. I got lucky when the enemy units left the mountain to attack a Gryphon, who had killed an enemy Mage out on the plain. This left the queen Gryphon all to me, so I got the eggs. Meanwhile, the Paladin was very effective in picking off wounded and vulnerable units behind enemy lines. Finally, all the enemy units were dead except the leader, and it was a bit anticlimatic finish. I delayed the killing blow one turn to give the XP to a Rogue (who had started the scenario as a raw recruit Thief.)
Faello

Post by Faello »

Challenging (Champion), 1.9.6, no saves/reloads, 200 starting gold

4. <getting Mother Gryphon eggs>

Robryn (General, blue, [NE] keep) leads a mixed lvl1&lvl2 force of 350gp worth loyalist Queen's army and tries not only to stop you from capturing the Mother Gryphon eggs, but also to defeat you in combat. Fortunately, AI performance on the difficult terrain is weaker than usually and it's an easy opponent. Still, There was one situation that almost costed me another restart (putting 59hp fugitive vs. pack of 3xlvl2 loyalist units during the dawn wasn't such a well thought move). Players that went through the Isle of the Damned and levelled up their outlaws force a bit can be quite relaxed in this one - gryphons are vulnerable to impact damage, thus a perfect targets for a fast force of outlaws, fugitives and bandits that can quickly reach Mother Gryphon and finish her off. Finished this one in turn 15/21, I was reasonably lucky tho' (nearly +15% luck on my side).

0 losses, 15 kills.

Not clear enough. Scenario objectives say "Defeat Mother Gryphon and enemy commander" which implies that player will be defeated if he will fail at any of the above tasks, yet even if loyalists will kill Mother Gryphon first, nothing happens, so it's obviously a bonus objective.

Clear and interesting. I like the idea of going for gryphon eggs to get some airforce :D

Pulling back my Mother Gryphon-assasination team.

It's a nice, average size map with interesting objective.

Inform players, that first attack vs. a sleeping gryphon ONLY wakes it up and deals no damage at all.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

1 restart (Asheviere soldiers finished off Mother Gryphon after I've failed to do that), no saves/reloads.
Maiklas3000 wrote:(...)Replay is corrupt, so not attached, but here is a screenshot(...)
It's a bug related with the gold carry over system. If you've finished the scenario with a negative amount of gold AND no early finish bonus, starting amount of your gold will be wrong in the next scenario replay. In order to repair it, you need to unpack the .gz replay file, open it with some text editor (for ex. Word 2007) and search for the incorrect starting amount of gp that is shown in the turn 1/X (for ex. for me it was 174, while minimal starting gold for this scenario is 200). You search for it, edit it to the correct value, save in the same format and pack into .gz with a 7zip. Field tested :)

Replay attached:
Attachments
Gryphon Mountain replay, Challenging (Champion) difficulty level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads
(46.27 KiB) Downloaded 761 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Found a bug in 1.9.6. Attacking a sleeping grpyhon causes your attack to be skipped and the character to lose their turn. As opposed to getting in a free shot, which would make more sense.

Also programming oversight.... how do sleeping grphyons DODGE?

And now I've beat it, easier than I expected. I guess this was a breather level after the hellish valley.

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on? 1.9.6 Normal
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? To get the eggs? 4. Easy enough once you use an Elven Outrider to the fencer and an ogre and Great Knight to pound them. To beat? 1(yes easier than Blackwater Port). Scenario is biased in your favour unless you lost your entire recall list in the last mission or such
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Crystal
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Clearish, except of course theirs no mention that humans and elves can't ride grpyhons.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Bloody ogres stealing my kill
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? 7 its quite original and a nice breather level after that painful Valley
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Give the enemy more level 2s (maybe even some level 3s) so that after you stop him stealing your eggs, you actually have to fight rather than walk over him.
Skaithe

Post by Skaithe »

v1.9.7 Champion - Challenging

Very clear.

Pretty nifty. Gryphons are always a nice touch. :)

I found myself trying to defend the gryphons because I noticed they were "loyal" and I thought for sure they would join or something. I was only forced to kill one, until I realized I had to defeat the mother --the baddies killed a couple. One was alive when the scenario was completed, he obviously didn't join. :)

None.
Attachments
(32.9 KiB) Downloaded 721 times