New ability suggestion: Frenzy

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
appleide

New ability suggestion: Frenzy

Post by appleide »

New ability suggestion...

I don't know if this would work, but at least it seems cool.
A unit that has frenzy, when he attacks, he keep attacking until he misses his whole round of attacks. But for each round of attack he gets the opponent gets a round also.

It is like berserk, except it stops when the frenzy-er misses all his round of attacks.

Reason: A death is not assured, compared to berserking. I thought of it when I saw dibblethewrecker's post, but I decided not to hijack it, and dump his suggestion which I think works just as well.
--------
Alternatively, you can make it so that he stops as soon as he misses. That would be cool too. But this time, for each extra round of attack, opponent do NOT get an extra one also.

Eg: A frenzy2-er has a 15-1 attack, attacks a troll, and is attacked back. He hits. He gets a bonus round of attack of 15-1, but this time troll do not. He hits again, but the next time after that he misses. Combat over. Troll is badly hurt but still alive.

Reason: it is COOL! :)

What do you think?
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Hum... someone played Diablo 2's expansion... ;)
appleide

Post by appleide »

To tell you the truth, I never played Diablo before... (diablo one's demo, thats all)

HOWEVER, I did play warhammer 40k, and there was this unit who could do the same things...

But I did actually thought of that name... cool, eh? :wink:
Jose Luis

Post by Jose Luis »

What about doing like berserk in rolegames? Bersek unit get some extra hp and figth until the other unit or itself die. Then it lost the extra hp, so it may die. It's like a suicide attacks. Even it could be an hability used only when hp is low, then it'd become a unit dangerous to kill.
Beleth

Re: New ability suggestion: Frenzy

Post by Beleth »

appleide wrote:I don't know if this would work, but at least it seems cool.
A unit that has frenzy, when he attacks, he keep attacking until he misses his whole round of attacks. But for each round of attack he gets the opponent gets a round also.
appleide wrote:Alternatively, you can make it so that he stops as soon as he misses. That would be cool too. But this time, for each extra round of attack, opponent do NOT get an extra one also.
I think that I'm definitely against the second version of the ability because being able to attack without fear of a counterattack seems unbalanced. (The exception being when your opponent doesn't have a melee/ranged attack to fight back with, but that's a different issue.)

As to the first ability, it doesn't really seem to add that much above and beyond the beserk ability. Sure, you're more likely not to get killed, but you're also more likely not to kill your opponent. It's an interesting twist, but it doesn't seem different enough or useful enough to warrant a new ability (in my opinion).

I have been thinking about the idea of a "frenzy" ability of some kind, and one of my thoughts was to have units that have different attacks on offense than they do on defense. For example, frenzy could double the number of attacks made when the unit attacks an enemy and has no effect on defense. This means that a unit with 8-2 frenzy would have 8-4 on offense yet only 8-2 on defense. You don't want to get in their way, but they're too distracted to fight you back. :)
Jose Luis

Post by Jose Luis »

I think that I'm definitely against the second version of the ability because being able to attack without fear of a counterattack seems unbalanced. (The exception being when your opponent doesn't have a melee/ranged attack to fight back with, but that's a different issue.)

As to the first ability, it doesn't really seem to add that much above and beyond the beserk ability. Sure, you're more likely not to get killed, but you're also more likely not to kill your opponent. It's an interesting twist, but it doesn't seem different enough or useful enough to warrant a new ability (in my opinion).

I have been thinking about the idea of a "frenzy" ability of some kind, and one of my thoughts was to have units that have different attacks on offense than they do on defense. For example, frenzy could double the number of attacks made when the unit attacks an enemy and has no effect on defense. This means that a unit with 8-2 frenzy would have 8-4 on offense yet only 8-2 on defense. You don't want to get in their way, but they're too distracted to fight you back. :)
I like your idea. It's the opposite (almost) to steadfast. It could be also, double damage.
Beleth

Post by Beleth »

Jose Luis wrote:I like your idea. It's the opposite (almost) to steadfast. It could be also, double damage.
Thanks! :)

I think that doubling the number of attacks would be a better idea than doubling damage because of the more even statistical distribution of damage: frenzied units are more likely to deal some damage and are less likely to deal max damage, all the while dealing significantly more damage on offense than on defense.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

It should ignore defence values of both sides when used in offence, at least that'd make it -alot- different from Berzerker and Charge combined
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Beleth

Post by Beleth »

Neoriceisgood wrote:It should ignore defence values of both sides when used in offence, at least that'd make it -alot- different from Berzerker and Charge combined.
Something like both sides have a 70% or 80% to hit? That would be interesting... Very bloody, too.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Beleth wrote:Something like both sides have a 70% or 80% to hit? That would be interesting... Very bloody, too.
This would be very strong agnist fencers, assasins and such.
Beleth

Post by Beleth »

Tomsik wrote:This would be very strong agnist fencers, assasins and such.
Yeah, probably a bit too strong.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Erm; I ment resistance actually; ignoring defence values is already used on magical and marksman; sorry.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Beleth

Post by Beleth »

Neoriceisgood wrote:Erm; I ment resistance actually; ignoring defence values is already used on magical and marksman; sorry.
I'm not sure that this makes sense to me... A Wose should still be very resistant to pierce even if the one doing the piercing is a frenzied goblin instead of a normal goblin. To me, the extra damage that a freznied goblin would deal to a Wose would be that it's feverishly attacking the Wose as many times as it physically can in a frenzied state, hence my suggestion for the extra attacks.
appleide

Post by appleide »

Neoriceisgood wrote:It should ignore defence values of both sides when used in offence, at least that'd make it -alot- different from Berzerker and Charge combined
I like that one...