New campaign: Mermen's Plight

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GregorR

Post by GregorR »

Thanks for the info ILikeProgramming, Mermen's Plight is now on the campaign server 8-D
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

How about Patrol Ship and Guard Ship for the boats?.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
GregorR

Post by GregorR »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:How about Patrol Ship and Guard Ship for the boats?.
Lesse, a patrol ship would have a greater range but less attack ability, and a guard ship would have greater attack but less range, essentially?

Yeah, I could do that. And will, if they become necessary ;)

Actually, I will if somebody draws them XD
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

Scenario 1 is still beatable. :twisted: :twisted:
A suggestion: make the following hexes deap water:
(28,40)(28,41)(28, 42)(27,43)(27,41)(27,40) and the area of shallow water between bridge and land.

Reason: Mermen can hide from boats by going there see the replay.
Attachments
An_Unprovoked_Attack_replay3.txt
(5.79 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
ILikeProgramming

Death Macro. just update main campaign .cfg and add deaths.cfg to the folder.

Then typing:

Code: Select all

{MERMAN_DEATHS}
would call this.
Attachments
Mermens_Plight.zip
(1.03 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
GregorR

Post by GregorR »

OK, 0.0.5 has the MERMAN_DEATHS thing, but I haven't fixed the balancing on scenario one yet.
GregorR

Post by GregorR »

ILikeProgramming wrote:Scenario 1 is still beatable. :twisted: :twisted:
A suggestion: make the following hexes deap water:
(28,40)(28,41)(28, 42)(27,43)(27,41)(27,40) and the area of shallow water between bridge and land.

Reason: Mermen can hide from boats by going there see the replay.
Implemented in 0.0.6
ILikeProgramming

0.0.8 is still beatable!!!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
pravin

Post by pravin »

!!!SPOILER!!! DONT LOOK BELOW!!! SUGGESTIONS FOR THE AUTHOR!!!

Nice campaign. I love the storyline! I think I played the 0.8 version. I have a few suggestions:

1. The first level is easily beatable because I put my mermen in the shallow water hexes and moved them from the left side of the map, hugging the shore. This way I killed off the spearmen easily, making them step into the water. The ships couldnt get to me at all. And I won by not losing a single merman.

2. The map is HUGE. Please reduce the size of it. By the time I reach some fighting action, I'm bored. Ideally a map shouldnt exceed 48 x 48. Smaller maps with strategic choke points/terrain are always better.
Here you only have forest. My elf ally is at an advantage because he always fights on forest. I don't have to bother with the loyalists on my side of the land. And the other level 3 general recruits ships, which I can easily defeat by picking them one by one. They can't come in shallow water and I can hide there and heal.

3. I didnt play this. The map was again huge.

Overall, I think, reducing the map size will be work wonders. Also, introducing more terrain elements will make it challenging because we have to use the terrain strategically.

You've started a wonderful campaign. I cant wait to see how it evolves. Good luck :)
A warrior may die a thousand deaths,
An empire dies but one.
GregorR

Post by GregorR »

pravin wrote:!!!SPOILER!!! DONT LOOK BELOW!!! SUGGESTIONS FOR THE AUTHOR!!!

Nice campaign. I love the storyline! I think I played the 0.8 version. I have a few suggestions:

1. The first level is easily beatable because I put my mermen in the shallow water hexes and moved them from the left side of the map, hugging the shore. This way I killed off the spearmen easily, making them step into the water. The ships couldnt get to me at all. And I won by not losing a single merman.
Yeah, I didn't do a good job balancing this - if you go out by sea on the east like "you're supposed" to, you'll get mostly whooped by the ships, which was the idea. The balancing isn't entirely done for any of the scenarios, but this one needs particularly delicate balancing.
pravin wrote:2. The map is HUGE. Please reduce the size of it. By the time I reach some fighting action, I'm bored. Ideally a map shouldnt exceed 48 x 48. Smaller maps with strategic choke points/terrain are always better.
I actually agree with you. I've been making the scale on these maps far too large.
pravin wrote:Here you only have forest. My elf ally is at an advantage because he always fights on forest. I don't have to bother with the loyalists on my side of the land. And the other level 3 general recruits ships, which I can easily defeat by picking them one by one. They can't come in shallow water and I can hide there and heal.
Again, this hasn't been balanced at all. However, you're not supposed to have to help your elvish ally on easy, and normal/hard haven't been implemented. Your elfish ally is supposed to win with no help. As per the northern human - well, balancing ships is really f*ing hard >_<
pravin wrote:3. I didnt play this. The map was again huge.
I think the sort of island-hopping nature of this level requires the map to be rather large ... if it was just-plain-smaller, the islands would be tiny and the mermen would be at a gigantic advantage.
pravin wrote:Overall, I think, reducing the map size will be work wonders. Also, introducing more terrain elements will make it challenging because we have to use the terrain strategically.
Both noted.
pravin wrote:You've started a wonderful campaign. I cant wait to see how it evolves. Good luck :)
Thank you :)
GregorR

Post by GregorR »

I've been working on balancing Friends and Relatives. I think 0.0.12 has it pretty well, but would desperately like people to test.

If you feel like helping, download the campaign, and choose it - it will give you the option to skip to Friends and Relatives for testing purposes, or you can edit the WML.

Thanks in advance :)
GregorR

Post by GregorR »

Proposed Mermen's Plight theme music!

http://www.gregorr.devisland.net/mpa.ogg
Academicus

Post by Academicus »

You should add "loyal' to the mermans you get in the begining for us to be able to recognize them.
GregorR

Post by GregorR »

Academicus wrote:You should add "loyal' to the mermans you get in the begining for us to be able to recognize them.
Yes, I should - I'll do that.

On a different note, both "Elvish Aid" and "Friends and Relatives" now have custom music 8-D
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Hm... that music is actually fairly decent. ;) Where'd you get it? And it is GPLed? I guess it would have to be, since it's on the Campaign Server, but it's a good idea to ask anyway...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm