Working on a new unit, need advice

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ChrundleTheGreat

Working on a new unit, need advice

Post by ChrundleTheGreat »

Im making a unit for my umc campaign but im a beginner at this, i already got some advice on the hands and shadow so i updated her but she still needs a sword, i want her to have a long sword on her right hand sort of resting on her shoulder but as i said i don't have a lot of experience with this, i actually edited a fairy unit to get her like this so i don’t know how to begin with changing positions for the attack animation. Could anybody help me with this? :hmm:
Also any comments or advice on changing whats already done(or simply on how to get better at pixel art and animation) are welcome :) thanks!
Attachments
HumanGirl..png
HumanGirl..png (1.42 KiB) Viewed 3221 times
HumanGirlDirty 2.png
HumanGirlDirty 2.png (1.48 KiB) Viewed 3221 times
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Re: Working on a new unit, need advice

Post by Vyncyn »

The homepage already has some great tutorials for creators https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Create_Art#Sprite_Art
I especially recommend Zerovirus's Spriting Workflow and https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Basic_Animation_Tutorial

Also one trick I like is to paint a "puppet" over existing units.
Just use simple colors, place over head/torse/arms/legs and "map" out the unit. This gives you a good idea of its anatomy and you can also use it as start for animation later by moving/ redrawing the arms and legs of the puppet before readding the units image.

Made a small example for you
Attachments
frankenreplacement.png
frankenreplacement.png (4.67 KiB) Viewed 3172 times
ChrundleTheGreat

Vyncyn wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:55 am The homepage already has some great tutorials for creators https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Create_Art#Sprite_Art
I especially recommend Zerovirus's Spriting Workflow and https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Basic_Animation_Tutorial

Also one trick I like is to paint a "puppet" over existing units.
Just use simple colors, place over head/torse/arms/legs and "map" out the unit. This gives you a good idea of its anatomy and you can also use it as start for animation later by moving/ redrawing the arms and legs of the puppet before readding the units image.

Made a small example for you
thanks!
do you know where i could find the unit from the left? im curious about the attack and defence aimations.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

ChrundleTheGreat wrote: May 29th, 2023, 9:00 pm do you know where i could find the unit from the left? im curious about the attack and defence aimations.
It's a unit I'm working on and I don't often do animations, so that's the only image
ChrundleTheGreat

oh ok, i guess ill figure it out then, thank you for the help, ill post again when ive made more progress
:)
ChrundleTheGreat

I made some progress, i think i like her.
Attachments
HGsword.png
HGsword.png (1.68 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
maksiu

Post by maksiu »

Wesnoth style graphics, have several characteristics, try adding a dark outline (not necessarily black). I think the effect will be more interesting, and the image itself will have depth. Because in general the proportions are well maintained, and the whole attitude of the unit is interesting, but the colors are flat
My addons - Phoenix Era