Vendraxis Prophecy, 1.16/1.18, Saurian Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WLFobe

Re: Vendraxis Prophecy, 1.16, Saurian Campaign

Post by WLFobe »

This is weird. In the "Betrayal", the Objective changes after side 5's turn. The Objective screen adds a statement that this is the last scenario. But it isn't, of course. Very strange.
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

Should be fixed now. Thanks for reporting.
I'll update the fix later.

This was a piece of code of my older interations of my campaign.
WLFobe

Post by WLFobe »

I Just fininshed the campaign. Very fun, very coherent. I played on Easy, which was much too easy (I started the final scenario with over 1,000 gold.)

I think the final scenario was the weakest. After recruiting a massive army, I advanced towards Vendraxis, using my allies as cover. Just as I was about to attack, my Dragonflies swept around and destroyed the Horcruxes. No fuss, no stress.

I would think the horcruxes should have been better defended. Or harder to kill (perhaps only certain units?)

I will play this again on harder levels once I get through some more campaigns.

Would you say that this is occurring sometime around 50 AW? Or later?
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

I got in my notes the year 49 AW.

With your feedback I can make the campaign more challenging. The last mission and the tunnel need improvement, if I got it right.

For the last mission, I would use guardians for the horcruxes. That is a good hint. I played it on normal and I also got too much money on the last mission. I need to shorten the turn limit or remove the time bonus.

I really appreciate your feedback. I will continue soon on the campaign.

I got some ideas to replace the drake's with another saurian tribe. I already got the sprites for them.
If I integrate them, I think I'll add some scenarios to the campaign.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S1
Zanza a young saurian huntress was -> Zanza, a young saurian huntress, was
So they tested her skills, if she is -> So they tested her skills, to see if she was
your abilities as leader and hunter -> your abilities as a leader and hunter
to exam your skills -> to examine your skills
Thats it? -> That's it?
don't take this test easy -> won't make this test easy
We expecting -> We are expecting
Make hay while -> Make haste while

S2
is travelling north -> are travelling north.
Until they met some new faces on the border -> There they met some new faces at the border
Attachments
VP-Hunting Practice replay 20230517-102047.gz
(19.34 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

Thank you very much Konrad2. I use your suggestions.
I appreciate your replay :)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S2
prepartion -> preparation
So we are in the luck -> So we are in luck

were you are and were you -> who you are and where you are
their leaders. The others -> their leaders, the others
People flee -> Everyone, flee
Report the city -> Report to the city

For the Thief versions of saurians you cannot check their advancements.

Pleeeeease tell the player that they won't be able to recruit more 'bandit' saurians after that scenario, I totally expected that I'd keep that recruit list.
(Didn't read the dialogue at first.)
Nonetheless, add a note to the scenario objectives pls.
Also, why does my knife thrower have the full recruit list? (My normal units included)
Actually, also tell the player that they won't be able to recruit more lvl 0 units after S1. I would have like to spend some more money on them.

Something for all scenarios: Sometimes you make units start out on a village. For some reason, you don't assign that village to their side, so the unit has to leave the village before you can capture it.

S3
Time of Day inside the cave is just Time of Day outside of cave instead of 'underground'.
If I spot dwarves after using the passge, the saurians still say that they need to find the secret entrance.

We are just traveler. -> We are just travelers.
To arm men -> To arms, dwarves
secret entrance quick -> secret entrance quickly

24,2 doesn't belong to the dwarves from the beginning?

I'm defeated -> I've been defeated
Please. let -> Please. Let
chidlren alive -> children live
or murderer -> murderers
trough -> through

I moved Zanza to the entrance without fighting the dwarves. Why does that make them surrender to me..?

S4
Scenario objectives are a bit unclear during this scenario. Once I met the Orcs, I stuck to defending the keep, and nothing ever happened. There is no indication that I'm supposed to trigger something else, or that I'm supposed to deal with this flood of Orcs by myself...
Attachments
VP-The Mountainpass replay 20230518-222247.gz
(22.93 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
VP-Depature replay 20230518-200823.gz
(40.21 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

Thank you for all the Feedback to improve the campaign :)

Yes, Tarex can recruit more of the Bandit Saurians. I want to emphasize that the player keeps Tarex alive.
I need to check the recruit list. Later on there is a similar use case. Maybe remove the recruit list completely and give each individual saurian his own recruit list?

I will give Anexir the ability to recruit more S0 units, if the player wants more S0 units with loyal and sometimes quick without disadvantage. That will also need an information.

I nee to check if there is a global warning/pop-up to give the player more informations.

The advancements for the thiefs are hidden that is a easy fix.

S3
The dwarfs surrender because the saurians enter the civilian area and they are afraid that the enemy's kill everybody. So I thought.
I am able to change the daytime in an area? I didn't know that. Maybe I can check that out in Utbs campaign.

S4
Another dialog should help. To lead the player through the orcish hordes.

Thanks a lot Konrad2. Today I'm not in Homeoffice so the fixes need a bit of time. It helps a lot, especially before I add new content.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Refumee wrote: May 19th, 2023, 5:20 am I nee to check if there is a global warning/pop-up to give the player more informations.

S3
The dwarfs surrender because the saurians enter the civilian area and they are afraid that the enemy's kill everybody. So I thought.

I am able to change the daytime in an area? I didn't know that. Maybe I can check that out in Utbs campaign.
There is, it recently came up in another campaign. viewtopic.php?p=681544#p681544

Maybe add a label to that place, 'civilian area', and reference that fact in the dialogue?

Yes, you are, you can also check Eastern Invasion: Revised S2 for that piece of code. Or indeed, UtBS S4.

S3
I'd also suggest some event to move zanza towards the big keep when you discover it. Especially due to Dragonfly Riders, chances are that you reach the keep with Zanza being still far away. So if you trigger the orcs, you are out of luck.

Fight Men -> Fight, Grunts

Run my tribe, here is a exit. -> My tribe, come here, there is an exit!
To the north!. -> To the north!

S4
burrowed some -> buried some
they are safe -> we were safe
Soonly -> Soon
to met some -> they were about to meet some
new enemies and friends -> new enemies and allies

Zanza and Anexir should have gold crowns.

Salanix should have a silver crown once he joins you.
Attachments
VP-Tunnels replay 20230519-175122.gz
(52.11 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

Thank you Konrad2. Your feedback helps a lot.

Now I uploaded the Version 1.0.6. With spelling fixes, changing of recruitment lists. Anexir recruits lvl 0, Zanza lvl 1, Tarex Bandits and Salanix deep saurians. I don't know if this will have an effect on ongoing campaigns.

Tarex and Salanix got silver crowns now. Tarex will get them as soon the player reaches the tunnels.

I added some more dialog to make clear, that the saurians need to pass the orcs.
I added more notifications in the beginning and notes in the objectives screens.

For Scenario 4, if a unit captures a village close the orc camp, Zanza runs to the keep, so the player is able to recruit some units. She also opens the gates in the south for quicker reinforcements. And a litte hint, that danger is ahead.

Caves are caves, even in outside maps.

It was much more work as I expected, haha.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(I think you realized it anyway, but I accidentally refered to S4 as S3 and to S5 as S4 in my previous post.)

S5
have a lot to talk -> have a lot to talk about

S6
got a lot to talk -> had a lot to talk
of their little -> of a little of these new/grey saurians
The saurians never -> These saurians called themselves 'deep saurians' and had never (adding this 'deep saurians' here, because a couple sentences later you suddendly refer to them as such without having introduced the term)
He only met -> He had only met/seen
only got one chief -> only had one chief
who leads the -> who lead their
I wasn't expected warmhearted welcome they expected -> They didn't get the warmhearted welcome they had expected
make yourself worth -> make yourself useful
just here, so -> just here so
him? It tries -> him? He tried / it? It tried
and it pets -> and its pets
are for durable and got fire spells -> are more durable and use fire spells

Salanix seems to have access to my normal recruit list. (You'd better check that yourself, since I started the campaign before you made the recruit list changes.)

Definitly need some way to keep track of how many civilians died.

Some of the Fire Ants spawn on lava if their hex is occupied.
https://wiki.wesnoth.org/SingleUnitWML#Creation_Options -> passable option

I feel like the Baneant Rider loses out to the Ant Rider. The unit has less hp, less dmg on one melee, slightly more dmg on the other melee, and no ability. Best comparision would be Elvish Captain and Elvish Hero. Captain has less of everything, but has leadership. Hero is better at everything, but no leadership. Clear trade off.

Please, follow me heroes -> Please, follow me, heroes

Teamname Betrayer -> Traitor

how many of my -> how many more of my
your grey scale -> your grey scales
to our own -> from out own
Attachments
VP-Betrayal replay 20230524-002222.gz
(73.99 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
VP-Meet'n'greet replay 20230523-165209.gz
(47.44 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

Thanks Konrad2 :)
Yes, I realized the mistake of the previous post. No, worries.

I actually planned the Baneant Rider and Banner Rider like your suggestions. Strange that I didn't implement it like that.

Salanix can only recruit deep saurians, if you replay Meet'n'greet. He will also get the Silver crown there.

S6
That is true, it would be good If it would be possible to keep track of the civilians.
Maybe a event for each turn to count the civilians? I thought it will help to inform the player if the half is dead.
I made the civilians more cautious. It is quite hilarious that one civlian advanced in your game.
I updated the goal to, defeat the enemies to defeat the traitors.

You really help me a lot. I didn't know that my english is so off. It was was never really my strong suit.
I'm looking forward for your feedback in the end :)

Surviving deep-saurians from Meet'n'Greet will join Zanzas recall pool. They will also keep their blue color.
Civilian Count will be in the Goals Tab as a note, in the next Update.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S7
Maybe their is more about -> Maybe there is more to
what is seems like -> than it seems
They met several -> They traveled through several
You got nothing -> You have nothing
beeing -> being
Raise my -> Rise, my
We should hurry -> We should hurry.
layer -> lair
Man, we found -> Men, we've found
terrories -> terrorize
Raise my -> Rise, my
Konrad2 wrote: May 18th, 2023, 6:15 pm Something for all scenarios: Sometimes you make units start out on a village. For some reason, you don't assign that village to their side, so the unit has to leave the village before you can capture it.
One instance of that is in S7, on 24,29.

The lvl 3 version of the dragon fly rider has less strikes on their charge than the lvl 2 version? :(

When Vendraxis sends his second wave, the objectives change back to killing him, but when I do, nothing happens.

When I send a unit to reach the entrance of the lair, nothing happens?
Attachments
VP-Snowpass-Auto-Save30.gz
(132.65 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

I'm sorry for that Konrad2.
The Original goal was it that Zanza reaches the entrance. I removed that.
The objectives are cleared now. The focus will be to finde Vendraxis lair. I keep the Original scenario name of the last scenario. It's called layer and not lair.
Don't want to crash someones savegames.

I have not planned that the player just rushes through this scenario.

The lvl 3 Dragon fly rider hits 3 times again. I reduced his damage to keep the old damage value.
I thought that 2 hits are enough, because it does more damage then the level 2 one. But I understand the frustration, if the attack has less strikes as the previous version.

Update is up.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I think I sort of broke S7 by sending a Dragonfly Rider to the Heroes before killing Vendraxis. I can't trigger his second appearance (including Reshans appearance)
Btw, due to how you coded his last breath, the two ifs will always happen when you kill him the first time.
Attachments
VP-Snowpass-Auto-Save15.gz
(104.9 KiB) Downloaded 28 times