Old version of Wesnoth?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PhilipN

Old version of Wesnoth?

Post by PhilipN »

Hi! I was first introduced to Battle for Wesnoth many years ago via a Linux distribution called Knoppix Games. Just for old times' sake, does anyone know which version of Battle for Wesnoth came with it?
egallager

Re: Old version of Wesnoth?

Post by egallager »

PhilipN wrote: January 24th, 2023, 7:44 pm Hi! I was first introduced to Battle for Wesnoth many years ago via a Linux distribution called Knoppix Games. Just for old times' sake, does anyone know which version of Battle for Wesnoth came with it?
Do you remember how many years ago specifically this was?
PhilipN

Post by PhilipN »

egallager wrote: January 24th, 2023, 8:39 pm
PhilipN wrote: January 24th, 2023, 7:44 pm Hi! I was first introduced to Battle for Wesnoth many years ago via a Linux distribution called Knoppix Games. Just for old times' sake, does anyone know which version of Battle for Wesnoth came with it?
Do you remember how many years ago specifically this was?
I'm thinking about 16-18 years ago, approximately. I'm not sure how old that version of Knoppix Games was at the time.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

According to the DistroWatch.com list of KNOPPIX releases, there were 3 "Games KNOPPIX" releases:
All of those were before Wesnoth 1.0 was released - so it would probably have included one of the Wesnoth 0.9.x versions, or an even earlier version.

Here's an archived snapshot of the list of Games KNOPPIX packages, taken after the last release, which indicates that it included Wesnoth 0.9.6.
PhilipN

Post by PhilipN »

gnombat wrote: January 24th, 2023, 10:47 pm According to the DistroWatch.com list of KNOPPIX releases, there were 3 "Games KNOPPIX" releases:
All of those were before Wesnoth 1.0 was released - so it would probably have included one of the Wesnoth 0.9.x versions, or an even earlier version.

Here's an archived snapshot of the list of Games KNOPPIX packages, taken after the last release, which indicates that it included Wesnoth 0.9.6.
Interesting! So they chose to include a dev version? Or were the odd-numbered versions stable back then?

Either way, thanks for the info!
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

PhilipN wrote: January 25th, 2023, 6:39 am Interesting! So they chose to include a dev version? Or were the odd-numbered versions stable back then?
The even/odd versioning system did not exist until after version 1.0 was released. So 1.0.x was the first "stable" series, and 1.1.x was the first "development" series. (Though it could be argued that every version before 1.0 was essentially a "development" version, as the game was not really considered stable yet.)