Parliamentary Election in Wesnoth

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What Era Should the Next Election Map Be In?

Poll ended at February 7th, 2023, 6:29 am

Wesnoth, Starting of Wesnoth (TRoW/AOI/LoW/SotA/SoF timespan)
14%
Wesnoth, Between TRoW and HttT (AtotB/DiD)
14%
Wesnoth, Wesnothian Civil War (DM/L/HttT/NR/THoT timespan, either before or way after)
29%
Wesnoth, Ravanal War (TSG/EI/DW timespan)
14%
Late Era (SotBE timespan)
14%
Do a map for the Elves (timespan TBD)
No votes
Do a map for the Dwarves (timespan TBD)
No votes
Do a map for the Orcs (timespan TBD)
No votes
Other
14%

Total votes: 7

Ashmyr

Parliamentary Election in Wesnoth

Post by Ashmyr »

I had the idea of creating a Parliamentary Election in Wesnoth, as I was curious what it would be like.

The year is 519 YW. In the aftermath of the Wesnothian Civil War, fought bitterly in the two preceding years, Asheviere’s reign of terror over Wesnoth ended. The brutal tactics she used to suppress those who opposed her were exposed, and heightened during the War.

Before the War, for about 20 years, Asheveire exercised control over the country, using her party as a puppet to give her a blank check and solidify and legitimize her rule. Despite the Wesnothian Parliament having limited power, she believed the more support she could get from institutions, the more her rule would be legitimized in the eyes of those who opposed her.

However, the Crown Prince Konrad, a nephew of hers, started a war against her, stopping her army's progress, uncovering ancient artifacts, and ousting her. Li’sar, Asheviere’s own daughter, switched sides during the Civil War, defecting to the rebel cause. She proved to be a vital aid to the Rebels. Li’sar and Konrad married after ousting Asheviere, and, after they had defeated the last vestiges of Asheviere’s loyalists, they aimed to establish peace and prosperity.

In the aftermath of this War, Konrad and Li’sar have led many efforts at reforming the institutions used by Asheviere. This includes limiting the scope of their own power, and giving the Wesnothian Parliament more power. They made the bold choice to hold free and fair elections, opening up the Parliament for free elections for the first time in two decades.

Shortly after this, Konrad and Li’sar founded their own party, the Reform Party. They advocate for reforms to stop government corruption, grant greater rights, and they wish to make sure to never allow a ruler like Ashievere in power again. They have experienced a surge in popularity due to winning the Civil War, and have won over many constituencies and demographics.

The National Party, a puppet party that Asheviere used for so long, is in ruins. While she was in charge, she assured it always had a supermajority and was always loyal to her. Now, it is tearing at the seams. It has won over rural constituencies which were already loyal to the Queen, or the areas that she defeated rebels the harshest in. Due to fear mongering and propaganda, the attitudes promoted by the Queen still linger in many areas. Despite it clinging on, its messaging is incoherent, with leaders advocating for everything from open rebellion to cautious cooperation with Konrad. It has lost many seats due to Konrad’s popularity and regionalist movements.

The People’s Party is a set of grassroots movements advocating for greater restriction of, or the abolition of, the monarchy. Although there are restrictions on enfranchisement, it aims to get enough public support to pressure those who can vote to vote their members in. They are most popular in areas which resisted the Crown several times. While they have nowhere near a majority, and are slandered as radicals, their popularity has grown faster than most have predicted.

The Elense Party advocates for greater autonomy of, or independence for, the city of Elensefar and its surroundings. They believe, due to Elensefar’s ethnic, political, and cultural differences, it should gain more independence. The party has experienced a surge in popularity, due to Asheviere trying to sack the city during her reign. Its leader is Gwydion, the son of Lord Maddock, who has been lionized by the city for his tough, but ultimately unsuccessful, defense of the city against the Crown. It accepts many of Konrad’s reforms.

The Non-Human Unity Party is a series of racial and ethnic minorities, usually from autonomous areas, advocating for greater rights and autonomy. Some of the party wishes to abolish the Monarchy, being close to the People’s Party ideology-wise, while others are more similar to the Elense Party.

The Kerlash Party is a party in the southern frontier province of Kerlash. While the region is secure, the Party wishes for more security from the Crown, and thus advocates for more soldiers in the region, in order to enforce strict laws and keep away ruffians. It is skeptical of Konrad’s reforms, and it is the only party openly willing to form a coalition with the National Party, since Kerlash enjoys the security of the Crown and was relatively untouched by the worst of Asheviere’s reign. It was allowed under Asheviere’s reign due to its acceptance of her rule.

The Magi Party are high-minded academics which largely accept Konrad, but think he is too naive and too soft on the issue of Magic. They want to expand their institution, building schools and preaching doctrines. They largely only dominate in the Isle of Alduin and its surroundings, often being viewed as too unconnected with other demographics in other regions.
Attachments
Copy of Wesnoth Map (3).png
Novice campaign creator.
Developer of "Dwarvish Kingdom" for 1.14.x; intermediate Dwarvish campaign. Any and all constructive feedback, is greatly appreciated! If you have played it, please DM me :)
More campaigns to come soon :)
Ashmyr

Re: Parliamentary Election in Wesnoth

Post by Ashmyr »

Any constructive and nice advice on the parties, district and whatnot is greatly welcome. I'll also answer any questions you have.

Also, if you want more maps like this, vote in the poll above!
Novice campaign creator.
Developer of "Dwarvish Kingdom" for 1.14.x; intermediate Dwarvish campaign. Any and all constructive feedback, is greatly appreciated! If you have played it, please DM me :)
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

Wesnoth is not USA, where are your imagination?
My art thread
If you like my art, try The Great Steppe Era!
Also try my Rage (16+) drakes slasher campaign!
Join the Wesnoth Modders Guild community!
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Mechanical wrote: January 8th, 2023, 9:16 pm Wesnoth is not USA, where are your imagination?
?

Elections happen in countries other than the USA. This election is based off of the Westminister Model, as seen as in the United Kingdom and Canada. Plenty of countries all over the world have had elections. Just because Wesnoth isn't a real-life country doesn't mean it couldn't hypothetically have elections.
Novice campaign creator.
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

Okay dude i wanna see your vision of orcs nation and elections then
Keep up good work :D
My art thread
If you like my art, try The Great Steppe Era!
Also try my Rage (16+) drakes slasher campaign!
Join the Wesnoth Modders Guild community!
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Mechanical wrote: January 8th, 2023, 9:32 pm Okay dude i wanna see your vision of orcs nation and elections then
Keep up good work :D
Okay, I could try that. :)
Novice campaign creator.
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Ashmyr wrote: January 8th, 2023, 2:20 am I had the idea of creating a Parliamentary Election in Wesnoth, as I was curious what it would be like.

The year is 519 YW. In the aftermath of the Wesnothian Civil War, fought bitterly in the two preceding years, Asheviere’s reign of terror over Wesnoth ended. The brutal tactics she used to suppress those who opposed her were exposed, and heightened during the War.

Before the War, for about 20 years, Asheveire exercised control over the country, using her party as a puppet to give her a blank check and solidify and legitimize her rule. Despite the Wesnothian Parliament having limited power, she believed the more support she could get from institutions, the more her rule would be legitimized in the eyes of those who opposed her.

However, the Crown Prince Konrad, a nephew of hers, started a war against her, stopping her army's progress, uncovering ancient artifacts, and ousting her. Li’sar, Asheviere’s own daughter, switched sides during the Civil War, defecting to the rebel cause. She proved to be a vital aid to the Rebels. Li’sar and Konrad married after ousting Asheviere, and, after they had defeated the last vestiges of Asheviere’s loyalists, they aimed to establish peace and prosperity.

In the aftermath of this War, Konrad and Li’sar have led many efforts at reforming the institutions used by Asheviere. This includes limiting the scope of their own power, and giving the Wesnothian Parliament more power. They made the bold choice to hold free and fair elections, opening up the Parliament for free elections for the first time in two decades.

Shortly after this, Konrad and Li’sar founded their own party, the Reform Party. They advocate for reforms to stop government corruption, grant greater rights, and they wish to make sure to never allow a ruler like Ashievere in power again. They have experienced a surge in popularity due to winning the Civil War, and have won over many constituencies and demographics.

The National Party, a puppet party that Asheviere used for so long, is in ruins. While she was in charge, she assured it always had a supermajority and was always loyal to her. Now, it is tearing at the seams. It has won over rural constituencies which were already loyal to the Queen, or the areas that she defeated rebels the harshest in. Due to fear mongering and propaganda, the attitudes promoted by the Queen still linger in many areas. Despite it clinging on, its messaging is incoherent, with leaders advocating for everything from open rebellion to cautious cooperation with Konrad. It has lost many seats due to Konrad’s popularity and regionalist movements.

The People’s Party is a set of grassroots movements advocating for greater restriction of, or the abolition of, the monarchy. Although there are restrictions on enfranchisement, it aims to get enough public support to pressure those who can vote to vote their members in. They are most popular in areas which resisted the Crown several times. While they have nowhere near a majority, and are slandered as radicals, their popularity has grown faster than most have predicted.

The Elense Party advocates for greater autonomy of, or independence for, the city of Elensefar and its surroundings. They believe, due to Elensefar’s ethnic, political, and cultural differences, it should gain more independence. The party has experienced a surge in popularity, due to Asheviere trying to sack the city during her reign. Its leader is Gwydion, the son of Lord Maddock, who has been lionized by the city for his tough, but ultimately unsuccessful, defense of the city against the Crown. It accepts many of Konrad’s reforms.

The Non-Human Unity Party is a series of racial and ethnic minorities, usually from autonomous areas, advocating for greater rights and autonomy. Some of the party wishes to abolish the Monarchy, being close to the People’s Party ideology-wise, while others are more similar to the Elense Party.

The Kerlash Party is a party in the southern frontier province of Kerlash. While the region is secure, the Party wishes for more security from the Crown, and thus advocates for more soldiers in the region, in order to enforce strict laws and keep away ruffians. It is skeptical of Konrad’s reforms, and it is the only party openly willing to form a coalition with the National Party, since Kerlash enjoys the security of the Crown and was relatively untouched by the worst of Asheviere’s reign. It was allowed under Asheviere’s reign due to its acceptance of her rule.

The Magi Party are high-minded academics which largely accept Konrad, but think he is too naive and too soft on the issue of Magic. They want to expand their institution, building schools and preaching doctrines. They largely only dominate in the Isle of Alduin and its surroundings, often being viewed as too unconnected with other demographics in other regions.
Fantastic work. I wish I had such way of thinking. I wanted to establish a complete lore for each of my campaign (politic, external relations, languages...,) but that was had
Adeptus

Post by Adeptus »

Maybe call "parties" - "factions", it sound more "medieval".