Movement costs added to lava

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Helmet

Movement costs added to lava

Post by Helmet »

I'd like to see movement costs added to lava, rather than it being grouped with the "unwalkable" terrains.

For most units, the movement cost would be 9, making lava essentially unwalkable anyway. Yet it would be awesome if some special units could walk on lava, if only slowly and carefully.

I'm working on a scenario with a lot of lava tiles. I recently added a new fire-themed unit who has unwalkable=3 movement cost, allowing it to walk on lava. Luckily, the scenario is outdoors where there are no cave walls, or the unit could walk through walls.

Perhaps a Dune Burner could walk across lava because of special fireproof boots?

Maybe certain fire-themed monsters could walk across lava also -- for example, a fire ant?

Thanks.
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Movement costs added to lava

Post by Ravana »

Suggested as #4831
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Helmet wrote: December 21st, 2022, 5:44 pm For most units, the movement cost would be 9, making lava essentially unwalkable anyway.
???

No, for most units, lava would be impassable (with infinite movement cost). There's no way an elf could cross lava without self-destructing.
Helmet wrote: December 21st, 2022, 5:44 pm I recently added a new fire-themed unit who has unwalkable=3 movement cost, allowing it to walk on lava. Luckily, the scenario is outdoors where there are no cave walls, or the unit could walk through walls.
???

Um, what? Cave walls are not "unwalkable". They are "impassable", which is a separate terrain archetype from "unwalkable". Giving your unit unwalkable=3 won't allow it to walk through walls. Of course, it would allow them to walk over chasms though.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: December 26th, 2022, 7:52 am...Cave walls are not "unwalkable". They are "impassable", which is a separate terrain archetype from "unwalkable". Giving your unit unwalkable=3 won't allow it to walk through walls. Of course, it would allow them to walk over chasms though.
Oh. I was thinking unwalkable and impassible were the same thing. Thanks for explaining the distinction. That info makes the coding of a future scenario a little bit easier.

Of course, lava having its own movement cost would be much easier. Then I wouldn't have to worry about my hellhound units walking across a chasm.

Hm. I guess I could put a sprite-less 0-movement unit on chasm hexes, a unit without an ellipse or XP bar to reveal its presence, and that would block the hellhounds... :hmm:

No, that would block the bats. Ugh.
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

You can make lava have its own movement cost in your addon. You need to make a custom "lava archetype" terrain, which will show up in the help but never be used on a map, and a custom version of the lava terrain that is an alias of the lava archetype instead of the unwalkable archetype. Then you need to use movetype patching (the [terrain_defaults] tag) to set all units who don't declare a lava move cost to use the same as the unwalkable move cost. And of course you need to always use your custom lava terrain instead of the built-in one.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I could see a few unit types being potentially able to walk on lava. Something like a ranger, but rather than elf + forest some lizardman thingy or something.

It probably won't make it into the mainland campaigns, so just for add-ons.

In the add-on legend of the invincibles, one dwarf hero unit got stuck on a lava spawn tile. I don't remember if he could still move but he took tons of damage. That also taught me to always prefer flying units when possible... :P