The Bees Journey

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

egallager

Re: The Bees Journey

Post by egallager »

Wesnoth-KameRamen wrote: December 6th, 2022, 4:13 am
Atreides wrote: December 6th, 2022, 3:31 am Hi, I've also played scen 1. Finished it on easy, but I did not use the given strategy so I'll include the replay for reference.

As regards the dialogue there are, as you said English is not your native tongue, a few oddities. : ) So far (S1 + 1/2 of S2) there have been no typos or mispellings however. As for the oddities, there are quite a few so I can not really list them. Perhaps they can be left as is since none actually affect gameplay or maybe some native speaker could go through the files, fix them and submit them to you for your approval. I think I saw that there are 20 scens? Could be quite a task.

As for what I think (so far) I have to say I quite like it. The scenarios seem well designed and quite original. Technically no flaws found aside from a unit or two that has silent attacks (hornets?). The art is nice, kind of reminds me of cartoons with bees I saw as a kid. Talking bees are not new to me as it happens. : )
Hi, Atreides.
I just watched the replay and was very surprised by a strategy I would never have thought of!

The English text is machine translated from Japanese to English, so I think there are quite a few mistakes. I am particularly concerned about the second half of the scenario because the story is forced.
It would be helpful if you could inform us of any obvious incorrectness in the English text. (Of course, we would be very grateful if you could make a list, but it's quite large...)

Thank you very much!
Hi, I'm wondering if you are keeping this campaign's source in a version control system at all? If it's on GitHub or GitLab or some other similar site, I could give it some proofreading and then submit a pull request with some copyediting.
KameRamen

Post by KameRamen »

egallager wrote: December 7th, 2022, 5:41 am
Wesnoth-KameRamen wrote: December 6th, 2022, 4:13 am
Atreides wrote: December 6th, 2022, 3:31 am Hi, I've also played scen 1. Finished it on easy, but I did not use the given strategy so I'll include the replay for reference.

As regards the dialogue there are, as you said English is not your native tongue, a few oddities. : ) So far (S1 + 1/2 of S2) there have been no typos or mispellings however. As for the oddities, there are quite a few so I can not really list them. Perhaps they can be left as is since none actually affect gameplay or maybe some native speaker could go through the files, fix them and submit them to you for your approval. I think I saw that there are 20 scens? Could be quite a task.

As for what I think (so far) I have to say I quite like it. The scenarios seem well designed and quite original. Technically no flaws found aside from a unit or two that has silent attacks (hornets?). The art is nice, kind of reminds me of cartoons with bees I saw as a kid. Talking bees are not new to me as it happens. : )
Hi, Atreides.
I just watched the replay and was very surprised by a strategy I would never have thought of!

The English text is machine translated from Japanese to English, so I think there are quite a few mistakes. I am particularly concerned about the second half of the scenario because the story is forced.
It would be helpful if you could inform us of any obvious incorrectness in the English text. (Of course, we would be very grateful if you could make a list, but it's quite large...)

Thank you very much!
Hi, I'm wondering if you are keeping this campaign's source in a version control system at all? If it's on GitHub or GitLab or some other similar site, I could give it some proofreading and then submit a pull request with some copyediting.
Hello, egallager :D
We are not currently using GitHub/GitLab and are considering it.

I just created an account a while ago, but I don't know how to use it, so I'm looking into it now.
Thanks for the advice!
Kame means turtle in Japanese. I chose this name because I love turtles and ramen.
Author of The Bees Journey and A Starry Forest
person_dont_anything

Post by person_dont_anything »

新天地までプレイしました。エルフに会うとき主人公か先生でないとフラグが発生せず、勝利条件がわからないまま20ターン終わってしまいます。
初回はそれに気づかず敗北してしまいました。リプレイはありませんが、再現したものを送付します。

I have played through to New Heaven and Earth. If you are not the hero or teacher when you meet the elves, the flag does not occur and 20 turns end without knowing the victory conditions.
The first time I didn't realise this and lost the game. No replay is available, but a reproduction will be sent to you.
Attachments
TBJ-新天地 リプレイ 20221211-001235.gz
(37.82 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
KameRamen

Post by KameRamen »

person_dont_anything wrote: December 10th, 2022, 3:19 pm 新天地までプレイしました。エルフに会うとき主人公か先生でないとフラグが発生せず、勝利条件がわからないまま20ターン終わってしまいます。
初回はそれに気づかず敗北してしまいました。リプレイはありませんが、再現したものを送付します。

I have played through to New Heaven and Earth. If you are not the hero or teacher when you meet the elves, the flag does not occur and 20 turns end without knowing the victory conditions.
The first time I didn't realise this and lost the game. No replay is available, but a reproduction will be sent to you.
こんにちは。
プレイとフィードバックありがとうございます :D
リプレイも拝見させていただきました。

新天地を改良したv1.0.6を公開しました。具体的には
・勝利条件を「Mary か Noaille が誰かに助けを求める」に修正
・2ターン目に攻略のヒントを追加(Mary のセリフ追加とエルフの城への画面スクロール)
などを行いました。

またフィードバックをいただければ幸いです。

Hello.
Thanks for the play and feedback :D
I have seen your replay.

We have released v1.0.6, which is an improved version of A New Land. Specifically.
Fixed the win condition to "Mary or Noaille asks someone for help".
Added a hint to the second turn (Mary's dialogue and scrolling to the elven castle).

We would appreciate your feedback again.
Kame means turtle in Japanese. I chose this name because I love turtles and ramen.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Hello again. I had a bread with honey on it so it reminded me to keep playing the bees here. : )

I finished S2 (easy to kill the 2 leaders). Levelled up a Bee Priest, very nice unit.

S3 looked terribly hard. Naturally I took advantage of being the "laughing third". Still I won only because I went and suicidally attacked the Lich with my leader and other high levs. The die rolls favoured me and I won one round before I would have lost at least one of my leaders. I probably could have been slower and waited more but I always panic in these timed situations (so basically in all campaigns, hehe). The mermen were winning big time.

One thing that didn't seem right was at the end:
Spoiler:
S4 I saved at start. It looks impossible to make it to the flag in 15 turns. I'll try it when I feel ready to lose.
KameRamen

Post by KameRamen »

Atreides wrote: December 18th, 2022, 9:06 pm Hello again. I had a bread with honey on it so it reminded me to keep playing the bees here. : )

I finished S2 (easy to kill the 2 leaders). Levelled up a Bee Priest, very nice unit.

S3 looked terribly hard. Naturally I took advantage of being the "laughing third". Still I won only because I went and suicidally attacked the Lich with my leader and other high levs. The die rolls favoured me and I won one round before I would have lost at least one of my leaders. I probably could have been slower and waited more but I always panic in these timed situations (so basically in all campaigns, hehe). The mermen were winning big time.

One thing that didn't seem right was at the end:
Spoiler:
S4 I saved at start. It looks impossible to make it to the flag in 15 turns. I'll try it when I feel ready to lose.
Hi, Atreides.
Thanks for playing with this again!

The undead join the ranks because KameRamen was shocked by Invasion from the Unknown.
The dialogue when Mal Kaldyn joins the group may have been difficult to understand because it was cut down considerably at the time of publication.
(This is the S3 backup before the dialogue were cut.)
Spoiler:
For now, I'll revert to this and upload it as v1.1.1. If you have any good ideas, please let me know.
I would appreciate it if you could give me some more feedback :D
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S0
Unable to see -> Unable to understand

S1
phenomenon. and a -> phenomenon, a

and had hundreds of years of eternal time. -> and had experienced hundreds of years of eternal peace.
KameRamen

Post by KameRamen »

Konrad2 wrote: January 1st, 2023, 12:50 am S0

S1

and had hundreds of years of eternal time. -> and had experienced hundreds of years of eternal peace.
Hello konrad2.
Thank you for your suggestion. I'm using machine translation for the English text, so any advice from a native English speaker would be very helpful!
I will try to correct it :D
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Wesnoth-KameRamen wrote: January 1st, 2023, 4:38 am

S1

Hello konrad2.
Thank you for your suggestion. I'm using machine translation for the English text, so any advice from a native English speaker would be very helpful!
I am curious as to what you use to translate. I use DEEPL as an assistant for my English to German translations. I am a fluent German speaker but I find that much game vocabulary is tricky for me. DEEPL does an amazing job, I rarely have to correct it. How well it works for Japanese to English I can't say though.

No I have not been paid by them to write this. : ) I'm just a fan. That reminds me, I should play some more Bees, I'm also a fan of them.
KameRamen

Post by KameRamen »

Atreides wrote: January 1st, 2023, 9:54 pm
Wesnoth-KameRamen wrote: January 1st, 2023, 4:38 am

S1

Hello konrad2.
I am curious as to what you use to translate. I use DEEPL as an assistant for my English to German translations. I am a fluent German speaker but I find that much game vocabulary is tricky for me. DEEPL does an amazing job, I rarely have to correct it. How well it works for Japanese to English I can't say though.

No I have not been paid by them to write this. : ) I'm just a fan. That reminds me, I should play some more Bees, I'm also a fan of them.
Hello Atreides.
Nice to see you again. Thanks for your advice.

I used to use "Mirai Translate" for translation, but recently I use DEEPL. Japanese is a very troublesome language, and a single word can have multiple meanings. So translation is quite difficult from Japanese to English.
I will gradually migrate to DEEPL.

Your icon is a ninja cat. Cute!
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Another scenario done. Got Mal to the ship! I managed to sneak him between the two warring sides. He seems to have good movement for an undead...

Made a King Bee, neat.

Ran into some missing portraits because of the updates moving the directory I guess. Not a big deal, I'm sure it is fine when starting a fresh game with the latest version.

Next the spiders... yikes. Big suckers, Shelob's a plenty... I think I may need to be patient and wait for the full recalls and the ant allies to help squash them. Hope 17 turns is enough.
Attachments
TBJ-In a Port Aufzeichnung abspielen 20230101-234915.gz
See Mal run. Run Mal run!
(28.42 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

...I just noticed that Clovis cannot be hit? Why?

In a Port -> At a/the Port
Take Mal Kaldyn on a ship -> Move Mal Kaldyn to the ship

Arrival to the Lagos Island -> Arrival at Lagos Island
What's wrong with you? -> Why are you here?

Mary's in a Trap
Spoiler:

Overcoming the Sorrow
Spoiler:

The Winter
Spoiler:

The Dragon and Ninjas -> The Dragon and the Ninjas
Spoiler:

A New Land
continent, But an unexpected fate awaited them -> continent, but a surprise awaited them
lashed the party -> hit the party
they gone, people -> they gone, my people

Elven Council
it was interesting -> It was interesting
to find my missing friend -> to find your missing friends
Condition? -> Conditions?

Run the woods
Jesus -> there is no Jesus in wesnoth

The Truth
But It's a -> But it's
with them about -> with you about
bees.And -> bees. And
The only thing I know. That means the -> The only I know is that the hornets attacked
can not -> cannot
insects.I -> insects. I

Report to the Council
Spoiler:

Decision
they don't investigate -> they won't investigate
I go back to my normal job -> I'll have to leave for my job

Why did Elriyens soldiers stay with me? (Recall list)

Replays
Spoiler:
KameRamen

Post by KameRamen »

Atreides wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 5:06 am Another scenario done. Got Mal to the ship! I managed to sneak him between the two warring sides. He seems to have good movement for an undead...

Made a King Bee, neat.

Ran into some missing portraits because of the updates moving the directory I guess. Not a big deal, I'm sure it is fine when starting a fresh game with the latest version.

Next the spiders... yikes. Big suckers, Shelob's a plenty... I think I may need to be patient and wait for the full recalls and the ant allies to help squash them. Hope 17 turns is enough.
Hello, Atreides.
It seems that you have advanced the scenario a lot. Thank you very much.

v1.1.x- resulted in major directory change due to mess on our side. Sorry about that :oops:
The next scenario is also the shuraku.
Last edited by KameRamen on March 2nd, 2024, 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KameRamen

Post by KameRamen »

Konrad2 wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 8:37 am ...I just noticed that Clovis cannot be hit? Why?
Hello, Konrad2.
First of all, thank you for the suggested corrections to the English text. I quite appreciate it, to be honest. I would like to upload the revised version after checking it here.

...I just noticed that Clovis cannot be hit? Why?
-I guess I forgot to fix the invulnerable=yes when in S10 (I did that to avoid being hit by a gryphon without my knowledge and game over). I'll try to fix it.

(Question. Why can Mary not ever return home? I mean, yeah, she can't return yet. But why does she not look for other allies, which will help her retake the kingdom?)
-The setting is that Mary and her friends could not return to their hometown at that point because the hornets were closing in behind them. Also, the island of the bees is an isolated island (?) in the sea. It was a miracle that they met Mal and Dragochan.
The story seems forced from this area, so I am looking for suggestions.

(Question #2. How did these news reach her?)
-There was a story about a barely surviving bee that emitted a messenger pheromone and Mary sensed it, but I deleted it. I will consider whether to add it again.

What's 'Mito Komon'?
-Mito Komon is a Japanese folktale. An old man who is a deputy shogun travels around the country and punishes the bad guys. I wish he would become as popular as the samurai or the ninja.

Why did Elriyens soldiers stay with me? (Recall list)
-Well, there was no particular reason. At first Elriyen's controls were AI and units were not on the summons list, but when we reduced the difficulty of the entire campaign, it became what it is now.

As usual, translation relies on machine translation. I don't know if this is an answer, but thanks anyway ;)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

All the items in the campaign:
It would be useful if the player was told what the item can do, before assigning it to a unit.

(Pending more.)

Replays
Spoiler: