Turn Time limits

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Assassinast

Turn Time limits

Post by Assassinast »

I noticed that the way the action time bonus worked in battle for wesnoth was by adding time to the following turn and not the current turn. I was hoping for a setting that game extra time in the current turn. I think in turn bonuses are very useful for games like wesnoth to help keep the game paced and interesting whether its yours or the enemies turn. For example, if the opponent gets say 5 extra seconds every time they capture, make an attack, or recruit, then i at least will know that my opponent is always doing something, and i will be able to see them making actions frequently on my turn which keeps me interested. I think in multiplayer keeping your opponent's turn interesting without too long of spaces between moments of interest can help keep the game more fun. at the same time if it is my turn, I know i have atleast 5 seconds to take each action, and i have a much better chance of being able to use all of my units because i get time this turn, not next. In addition to keeping turns interesting and giving one a cushion to take all current turn actions, it allows one to keep turns shorter overall. This is because with next turn bonuses it is up to the player to pace their time and some players struggle with this so often we make the next turn action bonus generous because we want everyone to be able to finish their turn. with in turn bonuses you dont have to be as generous because again, they get time for each action in their current turn.
Perhaps it's difficult in with wml to make in turn time bonuses, idk, but i think in turn bonuses serve a very useful niche.