Improved highlighting for next unit to move

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Helmet

Improved highlighting for next unit to move

Post by Helmet »

In a dark cave, when a lot of units are clustered, I have a hard time determining which unit is the next unit to move. Likewise outdoors, when a unit has 6 or more movement and a lot of units are illuminated in the movement field.

The helpful flash of light which identifies the unit is too fleeting for me. I usually have an approximate location ("The light flashed in this area somewhere..."), but no idea which specific unit was identified. I know, it tends to be the guy in the middle of the crowd, but terrain can complicate things. This slows down my gameplay.

Would an awesome, helpful developer do something to make the identified unit more noticeable?

I have some ideas...

What if the outline of the unit's hexagon glowed and pulsed?

Or maybe a discreet white arrow could point at the unit.

Or some other thing.

Thanks.
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: Improved highlighting for next unit to move

Post by Atreides »

I second that! This is a pet peeve of mine also. I have on occasion while playing fast moved what I thought was the current unit and found out that it wasn't. : (

The slight colour difference of the ellipse (if a unit even has one) is almost unnoticable. I have no doubt some people will say they see it clearly but we are not all built alike. Differing monitor settings could also have an effect. Not to mention differing hardware.
egallager

Post by egallager »

Kinda related: issue #6133
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

egallager wrote: November 13th, 2022, 12:49 am Kinda related: issue #6133
I agree; it's kinda related. But creating code for those issues sounds like a huge undertaking.

In the meantime, a simple glowing hexagon which identifies the selected unit would be fantastic.
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Hehe, my eyesight isn't that bad. 8 - O