Wesnoth 1.0.3 ?

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

alberic89
Translator

Wesnoth 1.0.3 ?

Post by alberic89 »

Hello,
For why we have only windows package of wesnoth 1.0.3, and no source code ?
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnot ... oth-1.0.3/
« Hacker vaillant, rien d’impossible ! »
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Wesnoth 1.0.3 ?

Post by Pentarctagon »

Given that's now 16 years ago, I doubt anyone remembers the answer to that. The full history with tags is available via the public git repo however.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Pentarctagon wrote: October 29th, 2022, 2:44 pm Given that's now 16 years ago, I doubt anyone remembers the answer to that. The full history with tags is available via the public git repo however.
There isn't actually a tag for version 1.0.3, though.

There was a mailing list thread in June 2006 about the Wesnoth 1.0.3 release. It's kind of hard to follow, but it appears that this is what happened:
  • Some people wanted version 1.0.3 to be released
  • The development team was busy working on version 1.1 (soon to be version 1.2) and didn't want to make another 1.0.x release
  • Someone else ended up making the release who wasn't usually involved in making releases (this probably explains why they forgot to do some things like update the version number, create a tag, provide downloads other than the Windows package, etc.)
alberic89
Translator

Post by alberic89 »

Thank you for all your answers.
I'm recompiling old versions of the game and I came across this weirdness, without being able to understand it.
By the way, while compiling version 1.2.8, I came across a bug without the compiler or the internet offering me a solution. Not knowing anything about C++, I ask you:
Spoiler:
The configure file ran without any problem, and make shows me this error (drowned in mountains of various warnings).
g++ is already the newest version (4:10.2.1-1)
cmake is already the newest version (3.18.4-2+rpt1+rpi1+deb11u1).
egallager

Post by egallager »

alberic89 wrote: October 30th, 2022, 8:16 am Thank you for all your answers.
I'm recompiling old versions of the game and I came across this weirdness, without being able to understand it.
By the way, while compiling version 1.2.8, I came across a bug without the compiler or the internet offering me a solution. Not knowing anything about C++, I ask you:
Spoiler:
The configure file ran without any problem, and make shows me this error (drowned in mountains of various warnings).
g++ is already the newest version (4:10.2.1-1)
cmake is already the newest version (3.18.4-2+rpt1+rpi1+deb11u1).
I'm guessing that's probably due to the default C++ standard having changed between when 1.2.8 was released and now; try compiling with whatever version of g++ would have been the current version at the time
alberic89
Translator

Post by alberic89 »

Tanks you egallager
I have downloaded the 4.2.2 version of gcc, and I try to compile soon.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

alberic89 wrote: October 30th, 2022, 8:16 am By the way, while compiling version 1.2.8, I came across a bug without the compiler or the internet offering me a solution. Not knowing anything about C++, I ask you:
If you're compiling old versions, it's usually better to use the latest commit on a branch rather than a tagged version (e.g., use branch 1.2 rather than tag 1.2.8). Branches occasionally get bug fixes after the final release was made (sometimes these are things like fixes for modern compilers).

However, that doesn't actually help with the 1.2 branch (and the 1.4 branch) - they have this compilation issue with modern GCC. I used this patch to get it to compile:
wesnoth-1.2.patch
(2.76 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
EDIT: there is a better patch here, I recommend using that one instead.
Last edited by gnombat on November 2nd, 2022, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Would you be able to submit that as a PR on github?
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Pentarctagon wrote: October 30th, 2022, 3:11 pm Would you be able to submit that as a PR on github?
It may not be a good idea, it was kind of a quick hack (just moving things from the .hpp file to the .cpp file until it compiles :lol: ). I'm not 100% sure it won't cause issues (in particular it is likely to be slower than the original). It would be interesting to see if anyone has a cleaner fix for that.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Well, mainly I'm just thinking it's unlikely there will be any other fix that someone comes up with. Plus given the much more limited hardware that version had to work on, any performance slowdown from this is unlikely to matter.
alberic89
Translator

Post by alberic89 »

But since we are using much more powerful hardware than in the past, the slowdown should be largely compensated, right?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Right. Even if this somehow reduced the game's performance by half (highly unlikely), improvements in hardware performance over the last 10+ years would still more than compensate for it.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

It will probably work fine on modern hardware. But there's another possible use case: some users might want to run Wesnoth on an older machine, and they know the machine can't handle Wesnoth 1.16 (or any recent version of Wesnoth), so they might try compiling an old version like 1.2 or 1.4. They probably wouldn't want this patch.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

As long as the commit message is clear about what its purpose is, I'd say that should be fine. Anyone building on vintage hardware can either revert the commit or build from the latest tag for that branch.
alberic89
Translator

Post by alberic89 »

I posted a request for help on a French forum (https://linuxfr.org/forums/programmatio ... nt-1905384), and here is the beginning of the proposed solution:
for the first error

Code: Select all

const type get_type() const { return val_.type_; };
you remove the "const" on the left (the first word of the line) which is useless.
for the second one, you add a

#include <utility>
at the top of the unit_map.hpp file, at the end of the other "#include"
I will test the solution, and if not try the gnombat patch.

One last quick question. I didn't find any instructions to compile from the gitub repository other than with cmake, which is only usable from 1.6.
I tried these commands found on the internet :

autoheader && aclocal && libtoolize --ltdl --copy --force && automake --add-missing --copy && autoconf
and then the standard installation that gets stuck at sudo make install with the error :
Spoiler:
You can see the complete installation at https://asciinema.org/a/533725.