1.17 Dunefolk (at least for now)

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
egallager

Re: 1.17 Dunefolk (at least for now)

Post by egallager »

ThroneGame wrote: November 12th, 2022, 6:43 pm Good, I decided to prove you wrong on the first one! :lol:
Hi, just wondering if I could get a separate version of this portrait with sleeves added for some UMC? I have a Dune Falconer I'm putting into a cold environment and just want to make sure she's warm enough.
ThroneGame

Post by ThroneGame »

egallager wrote: December 7th, 2022, 5:37 am
ThroneGame wrote: November 12th, 2022, 6:43 pm Good, I decided to prove you wrong on the first one! :lol:
Hi, just wondering if I could get a separate version of this portrait with sleeves added for some UMC? I have a Dune Falconer I'm putting into a cold environment and just want to make sure she's warm enough.
Yeah, I might do that variant. Though first I am going to do a bunch of portraits for GSE (Great Steppe Era) so it can take some time before I touch on this.
Co-developer of the Great Steppe Era (GSE): viewtopic.php?t=53932
My deviantart account: https://www.deviantart.com/coredove
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

There's a lot of discussion about the Dunefolk Rover from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wesno ... rover.webp in the Discord "off-topic" channel today. Just posting my own comments, I assume other people will repost their own too.

The belt looks a bit odd - it gets broader on one side near the buckle, can't decide if it's meant to have been crafted that way, or whether the stitching on the rear side has broken and the bottom is hanging out.

The armor over the chainmail is all one color, but different parts seem to be different materials. The shoulders' sticky-out parts suggest metal (if they're leather segments then the cuts should go all the way across), the straps suggest leather, and my eyes want to read the chestplate as wood. The quiver on his back is also the same color, but the rigidity suggests wood or metal.

I read the chainmail as fur. Thanks to Kordov 1/2 for explaining that the rings aren't in a chainmail pattern - it looks like rings stitched together randomly without the structure of how chainmail is made.

I can't figure out the green parts of the grey folds at the bottom of the picture (upper thighs). They seem too bright and differently colored to be caused by the light, yet the way that they're only in the folds suggests that they're not colors on the material itself.
ThroneGame wrote: November 12th, 2022, 6:43 pm (alternative falconer)
Does she have her eyes closed, with hawk-eyes painted on her eyelids? It looks good to me reading it as makeup, but it looks too intense a color for real eyes.
ThroneGame

Post by ThroneGame »

octalot wrote: January 16th, 2023, 6:03 pm There's a lot of discussion about the Dunefolk Rover from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wesno ... rover.webp in the Discord "off-topic" channel today. Just posting my own comments, I assume other people will repost their own too.

The belt looks a bit odd - it gets broader on one side near the buckle, can't decide if it's meant to have been crafted that way, or whether the stitching on the rear side has broken and the bottom is hanging out.

The armor over the chainmail is all one color, but different parts seem to be different materials. The shoulders' sticky-out parts suggest metal (if they're leather segments then the cuts should go all the way across), the straps suggest leather, and my eyes want to read the chestplate as wood. The quiver on his back is also the same color, but the rigidity suggests wood or metal.

I read the chainmail as fur. Thanks to Kordov 1/2 for explaining that the rings aren't in a chainmail pattern - it looks like rings stitched together randomly without the structure of how chainmail is made.

I can't figure out the green parts of the grey folds at the bottom of the picture (upper thighs). They seem too bright and differently colored to be caused by the light, yet the way that they're only in the folds suggests that they're not colors on the material itself.
ThroneGame wrote: November 12th, 2022, 6:43 pm (alternative falconer)
Does she have her eyes closed, with hawk-eyes painted on her eyelids? It looks good to me reading it as makeup, but it looks too intense a color for real eyes.
It's supposed to be her natural eyes but I can see it a bit unrealistic. More of a stylistic choice of mine, might fit more some campaign character if she is supposed to have some unusual facial feature.
Co-developer of the Great Steppe Era (GSE): viewtopic.php?t=53932
My deviantart account: https://www.deviantart.com/coredove
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

octalot wrote: January 16th, 2023, 6:03 pm Does she have her eyes closed, with hawk-eyes painted on her eyelids? It looks good to me reading it as makeup, but it looks too intense a color for real eyes.
She drinks the blood of Saurians XD. Kidding. I agree with this point though, and the thought of them being makeup-falcon eyes is cool (though still would need work before I believed it to be true.)
octalot wrote: January 16th, 2023, 6:03 pm The armor over the chainmail is all one color, but different parts seem to be different materials. The shoulders' sticky-out parts suggest metal (if they're leather segments then the cuts should go all the way across), the straps suggest leather, and my eyes want to read the chestplate as wood. The quiver on his back is also the same color, but the rigidity suggests wood or metal.
Leather can take on many different characteristics. It can be hardened leather which is used for many saddles and armor pieces, even some quivers. Then soft leather which is used as armor as well, belts, etc... They would be visibly different though. I don't have a great understanding of leather, but I believe that hard leather is typically darker in color and more smooth looking (most of the time), while soft leather is much paler and often can have an almost fuzziness to it. So while everything you mentioned can be done making leather, they would appear differently and most-likely have some form of metal/threading connecting the different pieces.

octalot wrote: January 16th, 2023, 6:03 pm I read the chainmail as fur. Thanks to Kordov 1/2 for explaining that the rings aren't in a chainmail pattern - it looks like rings stitched together randomly without the structure of how chainmail is made.
This falls into the coloring pattern that didn't make sense in the last portrait. Purple is a bit easier to understand for a fabric, but just picking a color at random leaves a lot of room for misreading and misinterpretation. Blues are almost impossible to create in the wild, often only made from woad plants as well as shells found in the ocean. You could, I suppose attribute the blue to scorpions, but as they aren't blue in their portraits, this would be a bad choice. Purple metal is simply not a thing that anyone would read without direction, or at least a metalic style. There's no glint, no lens flares. So it does come across as a large furry shawl.

In addition to these points there's the helmet. The nose guard which sits above the forehead in particular. And then the band which keeps the helmet suspended haphazardly over the head. In addition, This man would likely die from heat of the desert. Typical desert attire (even in battle) suggests large flowy garments (typically of dark colors) which allows the wearer to maintain their temperature as the air travels between the different incubated zones of the garments. having that helmet directly on the head...well, I've seen movies where Europeans die from their heads melting due to this.

This is of course all without even mentioning the cheekbones protruding beyond any healthy human levels. The purple bow and uh, pickaxe?. The fact that the skin color matches that of the metal of the helmet ( a different metal than is used for the chainmail, obviously), and the wood of the handle of the weapon (which doesn't match the wood of the shield?) (Maybe the shaft of the weapon is made of metal? That's a poor choice without any leather, I know he has gloves but do you really want to only be able to use your weapon when you have gloves on?) The way that the blue at the bottom of the garment looks like it's been painted over the green. The yellow trim along the cuffs of the sleeve which are the same as the stripes down the center, but set on both ends of the blue as if it's metal? But also the only place that any stitching can be seen. And the fact that there's nothing under the helmet on top of the head which means this man will clearly die either to the heat or the first blow to the head.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
egallager

Post by egallager »

ThroneGame wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:48 pm
egallager wrote: December 7th, 2022, 5:37 am
Yeah, I might do that variant. Though first I am going to do a bunch of portraits for GSE (Great Steppe Era) so it can take some time before I touch on this.
OK, keep me updated on your progress

Edit: nvm; portrait I was asking for is now available here:
egallager wrote: March 1st, 2023, 4:31 pm New version released on the 1.16 add-on server: 0.2.3: https://github.com/cooljeanius/dawn_of_thunder/releases/tag/0.2.3
It contains this new winter falconer portrait from Kordov (ThroneGame):