AI-generated Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
lhybrideur

Re: AI-generated Art

Post by lhybrideur »

Pentarctagon wrote: October 7th, 2022, 7:17 pm So far at least, copyright can only be assigned to a human being.
Thank you. I think this is the answer to my question.
So we should be able to use AI-generated image in Wesnoth.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

lhybrideur wrote: October 10th, 2022, 11:08 am
Pentarctagon wrote: October 7th, 2022, 7:17 pm So far at least, copyright can only be assigned to a human being.
I'm not sure how one implies the other? The question is more about whether AI-generated art can be considered to be entirely created by the person using the AI vs the artists whose art was used in AI's training data.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
winkr7

Post by winkr7 »

I am not sure where the battle axe went in this one.
It put a guitar in and some garden tools.
I made this one 4:3
two boxes and a battle axe in dusty shed
two boxes and a battle axe in dusty shed
wizard potion shed with staff and hat
wizard potion shed with staff and hat
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Pentarctagon wrote: October 10th, 2022, 3:00 pm
lhybrideur wrote: October 10th, 2022, 11:08 am
I'm not sure how one implies the other? The question is more about whether AI-generated art can be considered to be entirely created by the person using the AI vs the artists whose art was used in AI's training data.
From what I understand from you sentence, this would me that either I get the copyright or that the art cannot be copyrighted. Does this not make the art usable for Wesnoth?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The open question is whether it's copyright infringement or not.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

lhybrideur wrote: October 11th, 2022, 11:15 am From what I understand from you sentence, this would me that either I get the copyright or that the art cannot be copyrighted. Does this not make the art usable for Wesnoth?
There can be more than one copyright in a work, and you need permission for all of them. Music is a well-established example, there's a copyright on the lyrics and a separate copyright on the recording; to copy the recording requires a license for the lyrics' copyright too. More controversially, a photograph of a painting might have a copyright for the photographer as well as one for the painter; that means you may need a license from the photographer even if the painting is so old that the copyright for the painting itself has expired.

Obligatory disclaimer: this isn't legal advice, and the money it would cost to get legal advice would probably be better spent on commissioning a human artist.
egallager

Post by egallager »

octalot wrote: October 11th, 2022, 10:52 pm More controversially, a photograph of a painting might have a copyright for the photographer as well as one for the painter; that means you may need a license from the photographer even if the painting is so old that the copyright for the painting itself has expired.
There's a SCOTUS case of the reverse case (paintings of a photograph) that's currently under consideration: https://www.npr.org/2022/10/12/1128530841/supreme-court-warhol-prince
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

There is an interesting article about the topic on technologyreview.com:

https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/0 ... -about-it/

The paintings and works of Greg Rutkowski had been used to train ai for text to image. These pictures are copyright protected and the creator hasn't been informed about that. So this is the "grey-zone" we are talking about and imho if that isn't a copyright infringement I don't know what it is?

You never know which painting and work an ai used to produce its final product.

I still remember the case of Clearview AI, which used pictures of people they found in social media and used them to train an ai for face recognition, without the permission of the social media or even the people which faces had been used.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
fernicar

Post by fernicar »

Should Wesnoth take a stance in this matter, how much time should we expect to pass? 1 year, 10 years? 40...
Here he lies where he longed to play Wesnoth with AI assets.
pd. notice that the negative prompt did exclude any one, even I can't sue myself, it is as fair as youtube content id model of every copyrighted material.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

egallager wrote: October 13th, 2022, 2:26 am
octalot wrote: October 11th, 2022, 10:52 pm More controversially, a photograph of a painting might have a copyright for the photographer as well as one for the painter; that means you may need a license from the photographer even if the painting is so old that the copyright for the painting itself has expired.
There's a SCOTUS case of the reverse case (paintings of a photograph) that's currently under consideration: https://www.npr.org/2022/10/12/1128530841/supreme-court-warhol-prince
For this sort of case, something I would wonder is how much creativity is involved and whether that could play a role. A lot of AI generated output would certainly be considered transformative if a person had done the work, but since the only thing a human using this software really does for AI generated art is enter text into a prompt, would that affect whether it's considered a creative, transformative work?
winkr7

Post by winkr7 »

Hello all.
Did some AI portraits, spending a full credit on some of them for more resolution.
If the portraits say B and C I just changed the random seed.
yours
winkr7
fantasy wizard with spell book C
fantasy wizard with spell book C
fantasy wizard with spell book B
fantasy wizard with spell book B
fantasy wizard with spell book
fantasy wizard with spell book
fantasy wizard with hat and staff
fantasy wizard with hat and staff
fantasywizardwithhatandstaff.webp (10.72 KiB) Viewed 25535 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

skeptical_troll wrote: October 9th, 2022, 3:19 pm As far as I understand, there's a fundamental difference with google search which is that the images generated are new, since these neural-network based algorithms are capable of some level of abstraction (the abstract 'concepts' form what doofus calls encoding). It is closer to 'taking inspiration' than to 'copying' and even 'assembling'. [...]
One way to check could be to run a google image search with these AI-generated images, to make sure it isn't close to something existing, but I suppose that's never a 100% guarantee.
That does address my concern - but I consider what the AI is doing, based on my best understanding, to be "assembling". It's not cut-n-paste, it's much more sophisticated than that, and it is likely a very useful tool in some circumstances (especially when it gets better at hands/physics/etc. and can actually be trusted as reference). But as an "I made an art" utility, it is no different from google image search. Doesn't matter if the image doesn't look like a cheaply altered copy of anything else.

As far as legal use goes, only time will tell. (And as far as SCOTUS rulings, I don't have high hopes for anything sane or ethical.) For now, speaking as Art Director with my current understanding of the subject, we will not be accepting AI-generated art anywhere. I'm not saying that can't change, and if you were in total control of the training images, it would be a different story. But that's where things stand for now.

(BTW, if you want quick landscapes, taking a public domain image or your own personal photos and running them through some digital filters has long been an option.)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
name

Post by name »

doofus-01 wrote: October 16th, 2022, 2:26 am For now, speaking as Art Director with my current understanding of the subject, we will not be accepting AI-generated art anywhere. I'm not saying that can't change, and if you were in total control of the training images, it would be a different story.
Hmm, what about generated art trained exclusively from mainline commissioned artwork which shares the same permissive license?
winkr7

Post by winkr7 »

Hello;

I hope that at some point they will be okay to use, but that is beyond my pay grade.
Here are some more examples--lots of problems with getting the fingers right.
yours
winkr7

fantasy orc wizard with shield
fantasy orc wizard with shield
wizard playing chess
wizard playing chess
skeleton wizard with spell book
skeleton wizard with spell book
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

doofus-01 wrote: October 16th, 2022, 2:26 am we will not be accepting AI-generated art anywhere.
the wesnoth-game-killer-person's words
My art thread
If you like my art, try The Great Steppe Era!
Also try my Rage (16+) drakes slasher campaign!
Join the Wesnoth Modders Guild community!