Dream in the Sand - Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GreenScarab

Re: Dream in the Sand - Campaign

Post by GreenScarab »

Previous update:

Path v1.0.5

CHANGELOG:

Spoiler:

Hello!!!

I am happy to announce the mile version 1.1.0 of the DitS

This version is the result of all my work so far and allows the project to enter a new phase.

Poster-DitS.jpg

This version introduces:
Spoiler:
Last edited by GreenScarab on August 18th, 2023, 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
AUTHOR OF:
DREAM IN THE SAND | BORN TO LIVE | HORN OF FAITH | RUSTLING IN THE WIND

The campaigns are available for download on the 1.18 Wesnoth add-ons server.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Golden lamp
Spoiler:
EDIT:
Spoiler:

How it all began
Spoiler:

I'll try to update this list regularily.
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

That's great that you actually decided to do that! I am looking forward to see more suggestions from you.

I haven't yet put it in the campaign, but in the near time I will try to incorporate all of your corrections in the dialogs, that's huge help and step forward, however lately I am a little ill and need to recover. Anyway thanks, I really appreciate it.
AUTHOR OF:

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

GreenScarab wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 9:24 pm That's great that you actually decided to do that! I am looking forward to see more suggestions from you.

I haven't yet put it in the campaign, but in the near time I will try to incorporate all of your corrections in the dialogs, that's huge help and step forward, however lately I am a little ill and need to recover. Anyway thanks, I really appreciate it.
Don't worry, there is no need to rush. :) As you can see, I haven't made it beyond the 1st battle scenario yet, so it will still be quite some time until I'm finished.
(Of course, I do recommend incorporating the changes over time in your local version, as I'm sure there will be a lot.)

I hope you get better soon. :)

EDIT:
Some things I about S1 I realized while replaying:
Ursud demands upkeep. Why?

You need a certain kind of luck to beat it, because usually, you hold 7 out of 8 villages, even though you can't reach the 4 villages that are outside. But, in some cases, you lose 3 of those villages (at the mining site), if a Rider spawns somewhat close enough. Without those 3 villages providing income and covering upkeep, you have so little income, it barely makes any dent -> far less units to recruit later -> less of a cushion for recruiting/advancing units before your income turns negative.
I'm not convinced that the scenario is beatable when you are unlucky and lose those three villages. (At least I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to. Probably.)

Reinforcements sometimes spawn on a cave wall.

If you survive until your reinforcements survive, the scenario is much more beatable than the last time I've played it..

S1 corrections
To the fight children -> To battle, children
You got an 150 gold from reinforcements. -> You received 150 gold from your reinforcements.
Did you ask why father came to rescue his family -> Are you asking why a father would come to rescue his family

S2 will be next. Yay. Progress. :D
Attachments
DitS-How it all Began replay 20230306-171146.gz
(48.75 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
DitS-How it all Began-Auto-Save30.gz
cave wall
(54.12 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Konrad2 wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 6:45 am I hope you get better soon.
Thank you, I already feel much better.

Konrad2 wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 6:45 am You need a certain kind of luck to beat it, because usually, you hold 7 out of 8 villages, even though you can't reach the 4 villages that are outside. But, in some cases, you lose 3 of those villages (at the mining site), if a Rider spawns somewhat close enough. Without those 3 villages providing income and covering upkeep, you have so little income, it barely makes any dent -> far less units to recruit later -> less of a cushion for recruiting/advancing units before your income turns negative.
I'm not convinced that the scenario is beatable when you are unlucky and lose those three villages. (At least I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to. Probably.)
As for villages, in the next update I plan to add two additional villages in the East Gate map of the How it all Began scenario, and of course adjust the East Gate Destroyed map in the Start of the Adventure scenario similarly, but I need to do a gameplay test before I make this change. I will also try to find another ideas for slight adjustments to the difficulty balance in How it all Began scenario.

screenshot.png

Konrad2 wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 6:45 am Ursud demands upkeep. Why?
It's nothing intentional, really, I just forgot to add upkeep=free for Ursud. Thanks for catching that, it's very easy to overlook.

Konrad2 wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 6:45 am Reinforcements sometimes spawn on a cave wall.
Yes it is a bit strange. When the location a unit is supposed to be placed on is occupied by another unit it is placed next to a field in a set location, in this case on a cave wall, beacuse somewhere this unit needs to be placed. I don't know if it is fixable.

I have already implemented all the text suggestions you wrote into my local version of the campaign and minor other fixes. I am waiting patiently for more. :D
Last edited by GreenScarab on March 12th, 2023, 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
AUTHOR OF:

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

GreenScarab wrote: March 10th, 2023, 10:57 pm Yes it is a bit strange. When the location a unit is supposed to be placed on is occupied by another unit it is placed next to a field in a set location, in this case on a cave wall, beacuse somewhere this unit needs to be placed. I don't know if it is fixable.
As I think I can remember a lot of instances where it's possible, I asked someone, and they quoted this
passable: (Version 1.13.8 and later only) (default=no) If yes, and the specified location is of an impassable terrain for the unit being placed, the new unit will be placed in the nearest hex that is of a passable terrain for it.
https://wiki.wesnoth.org/SingleUnitWML#Creation_Options
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Konrad2 wrote: March 11th, 2023, 1:02 pm As I think I can remember a lot of instances where it's possible, I asked someone, and they quoted this
passable: (Version 1.13.8 and later only) (default=no) If yes, and the specified location is of an impassable terrain for the unit being placed, the new unit will be placed in the nearest hex that is of a passable terrain for it.
https://wiki.wesnoth.org/SingleUnitWML#Creation_Options
Thanks, I just wasn't sure if it was possible, it's great that it actually is. I will fix it in the next update.

Anyway, patch 1.1.1 has been released
It includes:
Spoiler:
Also there was released an patch 1.1.1 for BtL, you can see details in the changelog in the main post.
AUTHOR OF:

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S2
Spoiler:
EDIT:
S3
Spoiler:
S4
Spoiler:
utils file:
Spoiler:
S5 sometime next week.
Attachments
DitS-City that Never Sleep replay 20230319-221208.gz
(19.65 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

1.1.2.jpg

The version 1.1.2 has been released!

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Have fun with the new update!
AUTHOR OF:

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S5
Spoiler:

If you think it's appropriate, I'd be honored if you'd credit me in your campaign. :)
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Konrad2 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 4:08 pm If you think it's appropriate, I'd be honored if you'd credit me in your campaign. :)
Of course, it would be rude of me not to do so after receiving so much help from you.

I intend to add you to the end credits as: Text Proofreader and Gameplay Tester, because you helped me a lot in both. :D

I will introduce you into the end credits in the next update 1.1.3

Konrad2 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 4:08 pm The man should be worthy of calling him the feeder of the family. Your story just shows how weak these daredevils were. -> Honestly, I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Could you perhaps rephrase it, and I'll try to think up how to phrase that better?
The man should be worthy of calling him the feeder of the family. - In this sentence, I wanted to create a sort of dwarven adage: That a real man should be strong enough to be the head of the family (as dwarven women, in my opinion, are strong and also warlike like men, so men and women compete especially in a relationship to become the head of the family. Nemee says it from a male position, but a dwarven woman would say it from female perspective like wife of Ursud which died after the one of the battles.

Your story only shows how weak these daredevils were. - Here I wanted to refer to what Jeffir said earlier about the daredevils already saying so, that they would defeat the Wyvern alone.
AUTHOR OF:

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

GreenScarab wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 10:52 pm Your story only shows how weak these daredevils were. - Here I wanted to refer to what Jeffir said earlier about the daredevils already saying so, that they would defeat the Wyvern alone.
The daredevils being:
Many have said this before, but less than a handful survive to tell a story about it

Right?
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Konrad2 wrote: March 24th, 2023, 8:04 am The daredevils being:
Many have said this before, but less than a handful survive to tell a story about it

Right?
Yes, that's what I had on mind, however I guess this statement is not that clear as I would like it to be.
AUTHOR OF:

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

The man should be worthy of calling him the feeder of the family. Your story just shows how weak these daredevils were.
-> A man should be worthy of being called the provider of the family. Your story just shows how weak these dead daredevils were.

(Ftr, I'm not quite happy with it, but I can't ome up with something better.)

S6
Spoiler:
To be continued
LienRag

Post by LienRag »

Hi.
I'm on the Add-on server right now and I can't find your campaign neither with the "sand" keyword nor the "dream" one ?