Dream in the Sand - Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GreenScarab

Dream in the Sand - Campaign

Post by GreenScarab »

dits-preview.png
dits-preview.png (295.05 KiB) Viewed 229 times
___

STORY

514 YW

Six years before Konrad journey into wild northlands and retaking throne of Wesnoth.

The diary of a young Dwarf called Modome takes us to the far south where through the sixteen years last long war that tooks many lives of innocent folk.

You will witness adventure that took place on this Waste Lands and see what evil can lurk there.

___

WHAT IS IN THIS BAG?

- 7/8 BATTLE scenarios and 7 STORY only

- THREE DIFFICULTY levels

- DIFFERENT objectives

- ...and etc

___

CAMPAIGN WAS FULLY TESTED
___

Get ready for a nice brawl! Campaign is overall EXPERT level, however I think that average player will do preety well on EASY.

NIGHTMARE level is only for really experienced players.

For fans of eastern culture, in the campaign you can find some small references to fairy tales from Arabian Tales. Such little "tastes" and easter eggs for fans ;)
Last edited by GreenScarab on March 9th, 2024, 2:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.
AUTHOR OF:
DREAM IN THE SAND | BORN TO LIVE | HORN OF FAITH | RUSTLING IN THE WIND

The campaigns are available for download on the 1.18 Wesnoth add-ons server.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Dream in the Sand - Campaign

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hi,

I am playing through your campaign right now, and I have to say...this is really well designed.
The story is deep, the Arabian Nights references are spot on, the scenarios are interesting and variated.
I haven't enjoyed a campaign like this in eons.

So, thank you.

NOTE: I just got to Scenario 8 (the underground caves one) today .
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Do you have an replay for S1 on hard, where the play evacuated all 4 miners in time without losing so many units that they get run over in the next turns?
It's possible, but it depends somewhat on luck.

EDIT:
It's possible to beat the first scenario when playing on hard, but just barely, and very dependend on luck.
That's not great. But what's worse, is that the first scenario is way more difficult than all the other scenarios.
TIme spent on S1: >3h. Time spent on the rest of the campaign: <2h.

EDIT 2:
That is not to say that the campaign is bad. It's great and interesting! I'll take some time to write down all the typos I can find.
The first scenario just needs less waves and/or more time at the end on hard.
The prison break scenario might need another allied unit too, tbh.
Attachments
DitS-Day of the Brave replay 20220927-201805.gz
(23.36 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
DitS-At the Last Moment replay 20220927-203010.gz
(21.53 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
DitS-The Last Wish replay 20220927-205810.gz
(33.21 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
DitS-How it all Began replay 20220927-195456.gz
(50.46 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Hi guys,
Lord-Knightmare wrote: September 27th, 2022, 4:56 am I am playing through your campaign right now, and I have to say...this is really well designed.
The story is deep, the Arabian Nights references are spot on, the scenarios are interesting and variated.
I haven't enjoyed a campaign like this in eons.

So, thank you.
You're welcome.

Konrad2 wrote: September 27th, 2022, 3:14 pm It's possible to beat the first scenario when playing on hard, but just barely, and very dependend on luck.
That's not great. But what's worse, is that the first scenario is way more difficult than all the other scenarios.
It may sound weird, but I had a similar feeling when I played Nightmare about the first scenario, but since I was planning this campaign to be expert, I left it. But you're right Hard is almost impossible and I'll try to adjust it better in the new version (first scenario).

Konrad2 wrote: September 27th, 2022, 3:14 pm TIme spent on S1: >3h. Time spent on the rest of the campaign: <2h.
I'm sorry it took you so long because of my failure to balance the scenario. The first scenario was simply to make you aware of the horror of the war that took place there and the heroic defense of the main characters and the hope that is associated with the arrival of one of the Masters. Anyway I tried to convey in the campaign the evil of conflict that is able to change peaople for better or worse.

Konrad2 wrote: September 27th, 2022, 3:14 pm The prison break scenario might need another allied unit too, tbh.
I will look at it and think of something.

Thank you for the replays, they will be useful.

Konrad2 wrote: September 27th, 2022, 3:14 pm That is not to say that the campaign is bad. It's great and interesting! I'll take some time to write down all the typos I can find.
The first scenario just needs less waves and/or more time at the end on hard.
Thank you for the nice words, as I said will look more on hard and again thank you for taking the time to look for typos.
Last edited by GreenScarab on September 30th, 2022, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AUTHOR OF:

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Golden Lamp
From Diary of
-> From the Diary of

Heroes of Sand Wars
-> Heroes of the Sand Wars

Our strenght is pouring out
-> Our strenght is running out

and steel-clad forces are already at limit here.
-> and our steel-clad forces are already at their limit.

fast as wind
-> fast as the wind

enemy regroup
-> enemy regroups

remember that place
-> remember this palce

these stones and mounts I have already seen.
-> I have seen these stones and mountains before.

And in that
-> And at that

some sticking out of the sand object.
-> some object sticking out of the sand.
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

The patch 1.0.1 - 1.0.2

This two updates brings some corrections, full changelog in spoilers below.

Patch 1.0.1

Spoiler:

Patch 1.0.2

Spoiler:
There could be also other minor improvements in both versions.
AUTHOR OF:

GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

So.... Hello again Wesnoth world!

Some time ago I have released the newest version of the Dream in the Sand!!!

1.0.3v

1.0.3.png

This update is pretty big, so let's begin.

Spoiler:

Lastly, just have Fun!!!
AUTHOR OF:

GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Hello there !!!

1.0.4.jpg

I just released version 1.0.4 of the campaign, this applies to new portraits and little tweaks to older ones.

The campaign already contains ten exclusive portraits (made by me)!

Some examples how it looks like:
Spoiler:
AUTHOR OF:

doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

You've clearly put a lot of thought and effort into this, it's absolutely on my "reading list".

This being a volunteer operation, things can go unnoticed, so if there is some mechanic or lack or assets that is causing trouble, please open an issue in https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues - feature requests are fine, doesn't need to be bug report.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

doofus-01 wrote: October 16th, 2022, 3:01 am You've clearly put a lot of thought and effort into this, it's absolutely on my "reading list".
Thank you for such motivating words!

doofus-01 wrote: October 16th, 2022, 3:01 am This being a volunteer operation, things can go unnoticed, so if there is some mechanic or lack or assets that is causing trouble, please open an issue in https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues - feature requests are fine, doesn't need to be bug report.
Thanks for the link, If I will notice something or be able to help with the game for sure I will.
Last edited by GreenScarab on October 31st, 2022, 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
AUTHOR OF:

Polarfox

Post by Polarfox »

Dear author of Dream in the Sand,
I love the story am following the plot but I am totally stuck in the scenario Day of the brave. I have searched the entire area multiple times and I am unable to find a way to escape regardless. I would really appreciate some hint or else I will be forced to abandon the quest and that would be such a pity.
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

Polarfox wrote: October 23rd, 2022, 9:04 pm Dear author of Dream in the Sand,
I love the story am following the plot but I am totally stuck in the scenario Day of the brave. I have searched the entire area multiple times and I am unable to find a way to escape regardless. I would really appreciate some hint or else I will be forced to abandon the quest and that would be such a pity.
Hello Polarfox!

I'm happy you like the story.

I will gladly give you the tips you need regarding the Day of the Brave scenario.

Details in the spoiler.

Spoiler:
AUTHOR OF:

doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I'd tried this campaign, and for some reason the graphics keep blacking out, I couldn't get through the prologue. I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the scenario file, and other people seem to be able to play it fine, so it could just be a problem on my end. But if I'm having issues, maybe others are too, and it does seem to be specific to this campaign, whatever is going on.

I did see that there was an ellipse error for some character, probably from the {IS_HERO} macro on a leader.
error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-hero-leader-bottom.png'
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Polarfox

Post by Polarfox »

Thank you!
I passed that square so many times without actually standing on it. I suspected that the area was of special interest deep in the mountains.

Now I will continue to explore.

Best regards,
GreenScarab

Post by GreenScarab »

doofus-01 wrote: October 24th, 2022, 3:45 am I'd tried this campaign, and for some reason the graphics keep blacking out, I couldn't get through the prologue. I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the scenario file, and other people seem to be able to play it fine, so it could just be a problem on my end. But if I'm having issues, maybe others are too, and it does seem to be specific to this campaign, whatever is going on.

Which version of Wesnoth are you playing on? This will be helpfull, I'll try to reproduce the bug and fix it.
doofus-01 wrote: October 24th, 2022, 3:45 am I did see that there was an ellipse error for some character, probably from the {IS_HERO} macro on a leader.
error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-hero-leader-bottom.png'

I'm not sure, but the character of Ursud, side 1 in the prologue has {IS_HERO}, however he is added to the scenario by a Leader, position, with a golden crown.

Spoiler:

Now, when I looked through the file, I realized that I forgot to add canrecruit=no, maybe this confuse Wesnoth, which try to make Ursud the Leader with golden crown and Hero with silver one at the same time.

Spoiler:
But I am not sure, I need to reproduce this bug to know more

EDIT - I check the Wesnoth 1.16.6 and 1.17.9, campaign loads fine there (However it was created and tested for 1.16.x, so there can be some problems in 1.17, so I recommend to play it on 1.16)

I can also just add Ursud into the map of the Prologue Scenario by adding it by tag [unit], I think this could resolve this problem.

However without reproducing this bug, I can't confirm this changes to be the right choice

Spoiler:
Polarfox wrote: October 24th, 2022, 6:43 am Thank you!
I passed that square so many times without actually standing on it. I suspected that the area was of special interest deep in the mountains.

Now I will continue to explore.

Best regards,
I am glad I was able to help
AUTHOR OF: