very simple changes for elves in a simple campaign

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elven

very simple changes for elves in a simple campaign

Post by Elven »

Hi guys, for some time i am thinking about making a new race - but not exactly a new race. My thinking is about elf campaign, but with little bit different elves. So... same graphics, but few tweaks. What do U think? Do u think modified race of elves like this can be fun to play with? Units can be upgraded of course.

Elvish balanced fighter (level 1)
similar to classic elvish fighter, but balanced in melee/ranged attack. So, weaker in melee, stronger in ranged attack.

Elvish defender (level 1)
graphics like elvish captain. These units are good in defending, with more hitpoints. They are slow, but can be useful in protecting other units. First strike ability.

Elvish medicinewoman (level 1)
based on elvish shaman, these females are both leaders and healers. Yet, they are very expensive.

Elvish witch (level 1)
unit similar to elvish enchantress line, with new abilities. Very fragile, but also cheap.

Elvish nightwalker (level 1)
similar to elvish ranger, but stronger during the night (chaotic). Regenerates, like woses.

Elvish longbowman (level 1)
similar to elvish marksman, but with many different arrows - fire, cold and pierce.

Elvish scout (level 1)
Much more ranged oriented unit.

thanks for your ideas :)
Last edited by Elven on September 12th, 2022, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of Greenie knižnica and Greenie Linux and Wesnoth unofficial LiveCD; Slovak/Czech translator and creator of many campaigns. Everything is here on one place.
Elven

Re: very simple changes for elves in a simple campaign

Post by Elven »

and... anyone who can help me make this a playable faction? so it will be a new faction, that can fight even against classic elves? :)
Creator of Greenie knižnica and Greenie Linux and Wesnoth unofficial LiveCD; Slovak/Czech translator and creator of many campaigns. Everything is here on one place.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Bro, usually era creators usually learn to code and to at least franken codes or modify already existing codes from other eras.

Also, to be honest people is kinda tired of defaultish gameplay and usually try something way more different than defaultlike as in Eras like Ageless Era, Era of Magic or Great Stepe Era.

Still remember to check the guides how to make a faction, then an era and then an add-on. Usually people like to help if autor is actually doing some effort by himself to make real the project.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Elven

Post by Elven »

Thanks. Faction is almost completed and will be different than this. Now i am going to test it a lot. Maybe ine day it will be in ageless era, who knows?

These guys, right now called "southern elves", will be a balanced classic faction, with different strategy than classic elves. Still, it is soon for all the details. However i like using allready existung portraits and models.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Elven wrote: September 10th, 2022, 9:39 am Thanks. Faction is almost completed and will be different than this. Now i am going to test it a lot. Maybe ine day it will be in ageless era, who knows?

These guys, right now called "southern elves", will be a balanced classic faction, with different strategy than classic elves. Still, it is soon for all the details. However i like using allready existung portraits and models.
As far I've realized, it was the case of an Era named Rashy Era, it gained certain popularity and people just liked it, and then it was added a day into Ageless. As well more recently a guy named Ghype created an Era that is named Eternal Era that had 3 factions on its first release, it was fair enough to be considered in Ageless Era.

But main topic is that if faction accomplishes a minumun quality standards (art mostly, originality) its actually quite possible to qualify to be part of the era, but it's usually way harder for single factions as of Deep Elves which requires an huge effort in spriting and art creation.

Also as additional tip, factions tagged AE , are factions that were factions without era but that people just loved enough to consider them as part of Ageless, but actually Ravana is not interested in such single factions unless there is an huge effort in them.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Elven

Post by Elven »

Many many thanks. Well, maybe this will be just a simple addon. For fun/study purposes.

I have to update definitions and i need more testing with more units. Also i can also make a campaign with them.
Elven

Post by Elven »

New units:

- ancient spirit (teleporting melee only fighter. Can be upgraded within witch line)
- balanced skirmisher (can be upgraded within balanced fighter line)
- blessed warrior (something like lord, but with slowing aura)
- greenie archer (cheap level 0 archer, can be upgraded to longbowman I)
Elven

Post by Elven »

Plans for new units:

- guardian (anti magic defender)
- marine (powerful elf who have better defense and movement in water and swamp tiles)
Elven

Post by Elven »

Maybe I can write few words about how to play southern elves:

- grab villages. Scouts are good for it. Find out who are you facing.
- SE have good, but sometimes expensive and fragile units. So time to mix them. Balanced Fighters are a must have units against everyone.
- Witches are very cheap, but do not overuse them. Longbows are deadly, but fragile. Combine both of them with balanced fighters or defenders.
- like regular elves, slow is very important. Medicine woman and blessed warriors can use slow, so... Use it a lot.
- SE have a lot of ranged firepower. So, someone with strong melee attack, or someone with poison is a big problem. NE do not have any good unit against assassins, so you have to kill them with longbowmen or night walkers and then head to the village.
- balanced skirmishers are very strong, so having at least one is crucial.
- it is not easy to get a leadership unit early, so medicine woman II as a leader is a good choice.