[interface] continue key

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

[interface] continue key

Post by Atreides »

The c to continue key is nice but it could be even nicer if a new key was added to allow a "I don't care I'm going to my destination no matter what." mode.

Often I want to send a unit towards the enemy and I really don't care what he runs into. Hitting c repeatedly (3-4 times even) is rather annoying.

Specifically a key that acts like c but if it is used instead of c that unit will no longer halt when spotting an unseen enemy (ally if that's turned on).

(N.B. If I recall the default for this key is actually t not c but I would be amazed if anyone has ever not changed that)

Also I suppose some kind of way of ordering a unit to move without stopping right from the start would be great too. Or better.
Jarom
Location: Green Isle, Irdya or Poland, Earth - I'm not quite sure

Re: [interface] continue key

Post by Jarom »

I support the idea of having a key ('y', maybe? it's execute planned move rn, but it's close to 't') to force unit to move disregarding appearing enemy units. It's not that common in multiplayer and such, but in some campaigns you're just entering a huge battlefield and there's going to be a lot of move breaks disrupting your army movement.

For the record, I haven't changed my 't' keybind, and I often just click on the goal hex until I get there, but I do use keyboard shortcuts when I do something a lot.
Ender24

Post by Ender24 »

I feel like the bigger issue is even I hit T to continue, the unit won't attack upon reaching their destination so I have to set the attack all over again. It's really annoying.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Ender24 wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 7:29 pm I feel like the bigger issue is even I hit T to continue, the unit won't attack upon reaching their destination so I have to set the attack all over again. It's really annoying.
Yup, same here. The problem is worse because T won't reinstate the attack. You have to mouse over again and reconfirm. Very annoying indeed.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Hmm. What if rather than a new key, we can use the c key? So, press it once
normally - behaviour as-is. But if you press it twice or more than twice then
we can enable the functionality above? This might be helpful for people who
can just hit down on a key rather than have to learn multiple different keys.

Even cats could be trained to use such a key!
Morath

Post by Morath »

The problem is the interface is trying to protect players from themselves. Very annoying. If you want to inch forward because you don't know what's ahead you can do it with the mouse. If you want to rush ahead you SHOULD be able to do it with the mouse. No keys needed. Players learn through mistakes. Preventing them from making these mistakes with the "continue moving?" popup makes players dumber and annoys others.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

The way you formulated it makes sense for me. I agree with this suggestion.