Red Winter Reborn (In Development)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sire

Red Winter Reborn (In Development)

Post by Sire »

This is the general feedback thread for my campaign, Red Winter Reborn. You can download the latest version from Battle for Wesnoth's add-on server using the 1.16 branch.
-- As a bonus, the original Red Winter campaign has also been ported to 1.16. While it may be dated now and is still incomplete, it has concepts and story arcs that did not make it to the Reborn version. Feel free to try it if curious, but I do not plan on properly balancing/maintaining the original.

For the latest information on this campaign, such as changelogs, please check the latest posts.

Please note this campaign is under active development. At present, only 2 scenarios are available, with the rest of the scenarios to be released over time.

= = = = = History = = = = =
So, back in 2013 I released my in-progress campaign called Red Winter. It was a Loyalist campaign that featured massive battles, unique objectives, and a focus on story. One of the major gimmicks was that the player could not recruit new units, only recall, and many units started off at Level 2.
-- However, the maps were mostly randomly generated with some modifications added, and the campaign itself was never completed. It fell short on the final scenario, with the previous two leading up to it being playable but not polished.
-- I tinkered with the original version up until 2016, then went on an extended break.

Then, some years later, I decided to remake Red Winter from scratch, making it the Red Winter Reborn project. Maps were made, notes were written, but when it came time to code, enthusiasm waned and only the first scenario was made. RWR sat there in the archives for years once more, until now.

= = = = = Description = = = = =
501 – Years Wesnoth – Season of Winter
The Turmoil of Asheviere…

The isolated populace of the Estmark Mountains are known for their warrior prowess and for their military academy at Estlyn. Asheviere, desiring to use these warriors to strengthen her hold on the throne, sent emissaries in an attempt to gain their aid. The proud people of the Estmarks declined to join Asheviere, and the Dark Queen would soon respond with an answer of her own...

Play as these proud Humans from the Estmarks, resist against Queen Asheviere, and discover the legacy of the Esterian people. All the while, as mortal forces clash in combat, an unseen force seeks release from her prison...

Features:
-- A Planned 7 Scenario Loyalist campaign, with story interludes. (2 Scenarios Ready)
-- Emphasis on Story and Characters, with custom traits to make the characters more unique!
-- Custom music from the UMC Music Books.
-- A focus on higher level units. All of the player's units are level 2 or higher!
-- Limited forces. You cannot recruit new units for this campaign, only recall!
-- 3 Planned Massive Battle Engagements (Scenario One, Four, and Seven)

= = = = = 0.16.1 Changelog (First Public Release) = = = = =
Spoiler:
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
ZIM

Re: Red Winter Reborn (In Development)

Post by ZIM »

Damn, i remember playing this when it first came out back in 2013, and I love it. Glad to see it back, keep up your good work, sir.
SexyPringles

Post by SexyPringles »

Just finished both scenarios on normal difficulty and so far I think it's way better than the original Red Winter, not saying that the original was bad but Reborn is just much more fleshed out. The original still has a place in my heart.

Both scenarios were visually pleasing and I like how you added more enemies with unique and bonus traits with rewards. As for removing Aethac from story line and adding Denvan... I liked Aethac in the original Red Winter BUT I don't mind if he is replaced since Denvan was reaaally useful in Halls of Ruin. Now the story focuses on Mycen and Elyra instead of Aethac and Elyra and I'm interested to see how that will play out since in the original version, if I remember correctly,
Spoiler:
There were few writing errors that caught my eyes. I believe in the maps it should be Forgotten Fortress instead of Forgotton Fortress and in the campaign main menu it probably should be Red Winter Reborn instead of Red Winter_Reborn

I wish you luck on development and I hope this version will get finished someday :D
Hippity Hoppity, this is my property:Tale of Thunedain
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S1
There were not enough units to even try to defend the Woodshire. 6 units for a place the enemy will focus on? Not going to happen.
I'd like to request that my allies cannot move. They ran into the enemy army too often.

S2
tranverse -> traverse
(you made that mistake more than once)

Wrath -> Wraith

(Both scenarios are Nightmares due to how many (high) level units are around. D:)

Statistics
Spoiler:
Attachments
RWR-Halls of Ruin replay 20221121-165048.gz
(149.63 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
RWR-Red Winter replay 20221121-141844.gz
(172.37 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
SexyPringles

Post by SexyPringles »

Scenario 2: Halls of Ruin
I get an error message: Unit type "Wrath" doesn't exist

This error message has only appeared to me in the hardest difficulty
Hippity Hoppity, this is my property:Tale of Thunedain
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

SexyPringles wrote: November 25th, 2022, 7:54 pm Scenario 2: Halls of Ruin
I get an error message: Unit type "Wrath" doesn't exist

This error message has only appeared to me in the hardest difficulty
The enemy leader only gets the unit 'Wrath' (typo from 'Wraith') as a recruitable unit only on the hardest difficulty, that's why.
Sire

Post by Sire »

Thanks for the reports! (I should check my notifications more often, I just got to this now.)

I must admit, I only playtested the campaign on Normal to see if everything works, so Easy and Hard may have some other bugs and balance issues.

As for more in-depth discussion (spoilers ahead)...
Spoiler:
Now, for future development, I still have plans to finish this campaign. Since the last release, I've been occupied with other matters and playing other games instead of Wesnoth. Luckily, I'm at a transition point where hopefully I'll be able to get back on the Wesnoth train, but I'm not sure how much will get done before transitioning out again.
-- It'll be great if I can release scenarios 3 and 4 in December, awesome if I somehow manage 5 & 6, and a miracle if I actually finish all 7 scenarios for Red Winter Reborn 1.0.

Once again, thanks for the reports! I hope you enjoyed the campaign (in its current state)!
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Sire wrote: November 30th, 2022, 9:55 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler: