The Dark Master Project

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

hermestrismi

Re: The Dark Master Project

Post by hermestrismi »

[section]The Dark Master Project Timeline[/section]
Spoiler:
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

update:
version="0.1.7o"
separating Kehshakaar-Drakes (new faction now) and Triththa-Dwarves from their main races (preparations for 'AHW BookIII')
MarcinB

Post by MarcinB »

Hi

I started playing Your campaigns. I really like Your idea (connected campaigns).

I found few small bugs. In Eternal Kingdom i found buckler. This item gave only 4 hitpoints instead of 8 (as in desciption). Which version is correct?

Instead of playing Eternal Kingdom(I am waiting for Your reply) i switched to Return of the Legions chapter 1.

In second scenario of this campaign i found magical flame bow. This is scenario "Road Back".

This bow has a description : "The flame bow shoots flaming arrows that have as high a chance to hit as any magical missile."

I didn't gain magical property to this weapon. I changed cfg file from
{WEAPON_SPECIAL_MAGICAL}

to
[specials]
{WEAPON_SPECIAL_MAGICAL}
[/specials]
and it worked

I also found a little typo in scenario objectives in "Road Back".

I have " Move Rashdin to the southest camp" instead of "southwest "

I think that the story looks very promising. Have a good day.
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

MarcinB wrote: November 29th, 2022, 8:57 pm Hi

I started playing Your campaigns. I really like Your idea (connected campaigns).

I found few small bugs. In Eternal Kingdom i found buckler. This item gave only 4 hitpoints instead of 8 (as in desciption). Which version is correct?

Instead of playing Eternal Kingdom(I am waiting for Your reply) i switched to Return of the Legions chapter 1.

In second scenario of this campaign i found magical flame bow. This is scenario "Road Back".

This bow has a description : "The flame bow shoots flaming arrows that have as high a chance to hit as any magical missile."

I didn't gain magical property to this weapon. I changed cfg file from
{WEAPON_SPECIAL_MAGICAL}

to
[specials]
{WEAPON_SPECIAL_MAGICAL}
[/specials]
and it worked

I also found a little typo in scenario objectives in "Road Back".

I have " Move Rashdin to the southest camp" instead of "southwest "

I think that the story looks very promising. Have a good day.
Thank you, I had always some typos because I sometimes work under pressure (time and health ) but it isn't an excuse.
The buckler had been fixed to 4hp as it should be (originally it was 8 but I felt that it will make the game unbalanced) as well as the arrow and the description (updat both the dependency and the RotL, please).
If you found any typo or bug (or if you have any positive or negative review), please report
MarcinB

Post by MarcinB »

I am using Wesnoth 1.16.6
Dark Master Project Resources 0.2.0
Return of the Legions 0.4.3c
Etrnal Kingdom 0.7.6

I installed everything few days ago (26.11)

"Thank you, I had always some typos because I sometimes work under pressure (time and health ) but it isn't an excuse."
I hope that You will be able to solve Your problems (especially with health).

"The buckler had been fixed to 4hp as it should be (originally it was 8 but I felt that it will make the game unbalanced)"
I think that buckler will make skeletons weaker (+4 HP and -1 move sounds weak).

Maybe different bonuses to ghost line and skeleton line? something like +4 for ghosts and +8 for skeletons?

"If you found any typo or bug (or if you have any positive or negative review), please report"
I will try :)
ArthurMitchell

Post by ArthurMitchell »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "shield" and "armor" random item drops are available in all Dark Master campaigns.

I think the armor has good item balance, because you can stack multiple 2% physical def buffs on important units and get them to a reasonable 20% def in most campaigns. However I'm not sure how much you want to develop the item aspect, because in a short campaign you barely benefit from 2% increase, while in a long campaign you can have broken units with +50% resists.

I've played around a lot with items in WC multiplayer mode and here are some key points: • items almost never give you a downside, but some units do benefit more, so you need to have different units for different items; • one type of item doesn't stack, so you can't combine the same item over and over again, but you can combine different items; • items are not randomly dropped by all enemies, so you can balance giving the player some help, while keeping the challenge. Of course, WC has a more complicated item system, so these points may not apply to your vision of The Dark Master campaigns.

With all this in mind, I think the shield item is a terrible item and I never pick it (even with fast units), because -1MP is not worth the +8HP bonus. If I had to make a simple redesign, I would make the shield +2HP with no downside, similar to the armor +2% resists. Giving a small bonus never hurts and can only be exploited in longer campaigns (20+ scenarios), so I think it's a good solution.

If you want to go deeper into the item mechanic, there's a lot of things to consider, but keeping it simple with 2 items is totally cool with me too.
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

ArthurMitchell wrote: November 30th, 2022, 12:54 am Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "shield" and "armor" random item drops are available in all Dark Master campaigns.

I think the armor has good item balance, because you can stack multiple 2% physical def buffs on important units and get them to a reasonable 20% def in most campaigns. However I'm not sure how much you want to develop the item aspect, because in a short campaign you barely benefit from 2% increase, while in a long campaign you can have broken units with +50% resists.

I've played around a lot with items in WC multiplayer mode and here are some key points: • items almost never give you a downside, but some units do benefit more, so you need to have different units for different items; • one type of item doesn't stack, so you can't combine the same item over and over again, but you can combine different items; • items are not randomly dropped by all enemies, so you can balance giving the player some help, while keeping the challenge. Of course, WC has a more complicated item system, so these points may not apply to your vision of The Dark Master campaigns.

With all this in mind, I think the shield item is a terrible item and I never pick it (even with fast units), because -1MP is not worth the +8HP bonus. If I had to make a simple redesign, I would make the shield +2HP with no downside, similar to the armor +2% resists. Giving a small bonus never hurts and can only be exploited in longer campaigns (20+ scenarios), so I think it's a good solution.

If you want to go deeper into the item mechanic, there's a lot of things to consider, but keeping it simple with 2 items is totally cool with me too.
This is exactly why I stopped developing thhe items system : balancing .
I only left 5 items that I am pretty sure they will not affect the gameplay although I prepared and collected many special attacks and abilities . The good thing is the majority of campaigns aren't long enough to get an overpowered unit that can reach a 80% resistance for exemple except maybe for the main campaign TDM where you can't win with only a powerful (or even a couple) unit
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Anyway, a new version of TDM P had been uploaded with new factions and more portraits . Enjoy while I am preparing the next campaign : The Second Strife
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

For now, the Dark Master Project is under a great reconstruction under its beta version.
The idea is to assemble all the campaigns related to the east of the Great Continent into one file (but separated campaigns) as many players already suggested. Also, I separated the music file as a dependency which reduces the file size greatly.
So far, version 0.6.0, I assembled the following: part one of the dark Master and its two prequels (Survival and the Northern Expedition), unrest in elfland, an Elvish Scout and the Dark Hordes; part I.
I am programming to add the return of the legion (the triology) and a starting scenario for test and as a point to pass to the full list of campaign.
As usual, I focused on the abandoned campaigns from 1.0 and 1.2 but I used some new umc eventually.
Have fun
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

For now, the Dark Master Project is under a great reconstruction under its beta version.
The idea is to assemble all the campaigns related to the east of the Great Continent into one file (but separated campaigns) as many players already suggested. Also, I separated the music file as a dependency which reduces the file size greatly.
So far, version 0.6.0, I assembled the following: part one of the dark Master and its two prequels (Survival and the Northern Expedition), unrest in elfland, an Elvish Scout and the Dark Hordes; part I.
I am programming to add the return of the legion (the triology) and a starting scenario for test and as a point to pass to the full list of campaign.
As usual, I focused on the abandoned campaigns from 1.0 and 1.2 but I used some new umc eventually.
Have fun
The work is slow bcz of technical issues but I am trying .so, better not begin on it until I finish the rest
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

update beta
version 0.6.2: uploading "the Dark Hordes: Ch01" with modifications .
todo: adjustments of portraits and names (sync. with TDM), global variables to teleport Gwiti army
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Update version beta '0.9.3'
Uploading all the campaigns into one add-on except for the two last parts of The Dark Master.
The new races are:
The Shithens (Humans sub-race): credit: Faehin Era BfW 0.1,
The Deep Elves : credit: the Deep elves add-on and Ageless Era,
The Haag Trolls: credit: Campaign From Rock and Blood BfW 0.16,
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Updated
Version beta: 0.9.5: adding another campaign to the collection: Restoration of Wesnoth (a part of The Dark Master continuity) with 12 scenarios (1 talk only).
Total campaigns: 11.
New race: Dharklings (credit: campaign Restoration of Wesnoth from bfw 1.02. In fact, I m astonished that such beautiful campaign was abandoned. Really??).
Some minor bug fixes and adding new spawning monsters
The campaign cover the time gap between the end of The Dark Hordes and before the second meeting between the two heroes
Straff

Post by Straff »

Wesnoth 1.16
TDMP version="0.9.6"
scenario survive_01

The objectives say: "Move Malri to the southern edge of the map"

But nothing happens when you do that. The victory triggers only when you move Adon inside the wood (in the south-western corner).
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Thank you for the report. I thought I fixed this typo but seems I forget about it. I will fix it next upload.