Favorite wesnoth soundtrack?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

clutteredmind

Favorite wesnoth soundtrack?

Post by clutteredmind »

Poll: What is your favorite mainline wesnoth soundtrack?

Votes so far, I will update this list periodically:
Into the Shadows: 2
Over the Northern Mountains: 1
Legends of the North: 1
Still another Wanderer: 1
Elvish Theme: 1
Last edited by clutteredmind on April 29th, 2022, 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One bright day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight.
Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.
The deaf policeman heard the noise, came and shot the two dead boys.
If you don’t believe this lie is true, ask the blind man, he saw it too.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: Favorite wesnoth soundtrack?

Post by Atreides »

Tough question! I just reviewed them (because I needed the name hehe) and it is Legends of the North for me. It sounds a lot like the main theme of the DOS classic game Age of Rifles by SSI which has some stunningly great music.

P.S. Did you know you could make an actual poll in the forum that will count and display the results? Of course you have to enter every single track name which is quite a number.
clutteredmind

Post by clutteredmind »

Atreides wrote: April 28th, 2022, 8:39 pm it is Legends of the North for me.
I agree, that one is awesome!
Atreides wrote: April 28th, 2022, 8:39 pm P.S. Did you know you could make an actual poll in the forum that will count and display the results? Of course you have to enter every single track name which is quite a number.
Yes I did, but it only allows up to 20 options.
One bright day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight.
Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.
The deaf policeman heard the noise, came and shot the two dead boys.
If you don’t believe this lie is true, ask the blind man, he saw it too.
Sire

Post by Sire »

I personally tend to favor the tracks made by Doug Kaufman (Battle Epic, Elvish Theme, Hero's Rite, Siege of Laurelmor, The City Falls, Weight of Revenge). A part of this is because those tracks fit easily into the UMC I create for Wesnoth, but they are also enjoyable to listen to.

However, if I had to narrow it down, the tracks that defines Wesnoth for me would be Still Another Wanderer, The Knolls of Doldesh (Timothy Pinkham) and Breaking the Chains (Mattias Westlund). These tracks almost immediately remind me of Wesnoth which probably ranks them up higher for the "favorite wesnoth soundtrack."

If I absolutely had to choose one, I guess it would be Still Another Wanderer. Its the one I listen to the most, even when not working on Wesnoth-related projects.
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

clutteredmind wrote: April 28th, 2022, 8:59 pm
Atreides wrote: April 28th, 2022, 8:39 pm P.S. Did you know you could make an actual poll in the forum that will count and display the results? Of course you have to enter every single track name which is quite a number.
Yes I did, but it only allows up to 20 options.
As I was posting I was trying to recall if there was a limit and how much but I didn't. 20 seems like a lot but as I went through the tracks I noticed there were a LOT. : )

Nothing wrong with free form polls anyways!
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

Into the Shadows. It makes me focus.
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Into the Shadows.

I like the eerie atmosphere the track creates and gives the impression that I can get ambushed and wiped in any turn and without expecting it.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Vilebeggar

Post by Vilebeggar »

Elvish theme, because the mid to ending melody is quite sad and it was perfect in the south guard campaign.
Competitive Wesnoth. For the fans by the fans.
DwarvenRogue

Post by DwarvenRogue »

Heroes Rite

This song does an amazing job of setting a specific mood.
We will descend upon the foe, we will overwhelm them, we will leave none alive! Meanwhile our guardsmen will ensure the full defense of our headquarters. We are the Footpads! We are Thursagan's fury!!
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

I'd say Heroes Rite as well, something about that part where it breaks down to just the piano and strings just gets me.
eh, what comes here again?
Kapiork

Post by Kapiork »

Way, waaaay too many great songs to choose "the best one." Not even joking. There's the joy of Over the Northern Mountains, the pure epicness of The City Falls, the tribal savagery and surprising feeling of hope of Northerners (which, fun fact, sounds a lot like "Blackrock and Roll" from Warcraft 3 at 0:40), the weight of total war of Frantic 2, the twisted dance of Dangerous Symphony, the absolute nostalgia fuel of Return to Wesnoth, the chillness of Breaking the Chains that transitions into rising action, the creepyness of Suspense... I could be listing song titles for hours.

But if I absolutely had to choose one of them for one reason or another... I think I'd choose "Legends of the North." Why? Simple - nostalgia. For a reason that not even I am sure about, this song causes me to remember an animated film I used to watch as a child. Is that because I happened to watch it at the same time I was playing Wesnoth while LotN was playing? Who knows, but this little thing might just give it that tiny edge over other songs in my eyes. Or, uh, ears. ;)
Chapter V of "How to suck at life"