Citadel of Drand [MP Assault/Siege PvP Campaign]

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Citadel of Drand [MP Assault/Siege PvP Campaign]

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hello!

This is a Player-versus-Player Multiplayer Campaign with the Siege/Assault gameplay mode.
Play as either the Attacker or Defender. Attacking Team(s) have to take out the Defending Team(s) objective while the Defending Team(s) have to resist or try for the Attacking Team(s) objective.
Available in 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 Modes. This means the campaign supports 2,4,6 or 8 players.
After the end of the first scenario, a second follow-up scenario begins on the same map, but the roles are now reversed. That is, attacking team(s) are now defending team(s) and vice versa.
If any side leader is killed, they are taken out of the game board (battle zone) for the first round only. During the second round, they can perish.
For the second round, veterans can be recalled for a more expensive gold cost. (that is, >20G, depends on level)

Most of the rules and mechanics of this game mode have been stated in the objectives UI so there should be no confusion.

This has been tested on both 1.16 and 1.17 version of Battle for Wesnoth and should be working fine.

Stat Boost shops and Battle Items have been planned but not available in v1.0.0 yet. Will be available in version v1.0.2 or later. A lot of other gameplay improvements are considered for future versions as well.

Based on this idea which caught my eye.

Note: Only Default Era and War of Legends have been tested but the add-on has been built specifically for Default Era or any other era coming with the game client.

Note: No modifications have been considered for testing so if any modification breaks it, it's on you.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Re: Citadel of Drand [MP Assault/Siege PvP Campaign]

Post by max_torch »

After one playthrough here are some suggestions.
  • In the "Create Game" Menu's Map Description field, explain what the exact differences are between the available difficulties.
  • Outlaw wave of AI attackers didn't leave the hexes they spawned on.
  • Mark the hexes which serve as tunnel exits. For example, put red labels for all entrances and exits connected to Area A, blue labels for all entrances and exits connected to Area B, or some other solution.
  • Randomize the position where the attacking leaders start, so that the defender must anticipate any direction. The scenario called Troll Hole in TRoW does something like this.
  • Randomize where the defending leaders spawn among the four possible spawn points.
  • Remove shroud but keep fog.
  • Label and make visible to all players the villages that can spawn defenders if a defending unit captures them.
  • Scale the amount of units that guard the conduits based on the number of players. Scale the strength/amount of units that spawn from villages based on the number of players.
  • Explain exactly how income works in Scenario Objectives.
  • Move the text in map labels that say "Turn 1: Nagas, Turn 3: Dunefolk" etc to the Scenario Objectives.
  • Put a hint that says that in the second round, players have the option of recalling units from the first round, just like in a campaign.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

In the "Create Game" Menu's Map Description field, explain what the exact differences are between the available difficulties.
Outlaw wave of AI attackers didn't leave the hexes they spawned on.

Remove shroud but keep fog.
Label and make visible to all players the villages that can spawn defenders if a defending unit captures them.
Scale the amount of units that guard the conduits based on the number of players. Scale the strength/amount of units that spawn from villages based on the number of players.
Explain exactly how income works in Scenario Objectives.

Put a hint that says that in the second round, players have the option of recalling units from the first round, just like in a campaign.
I have released an update with the suggested changes which I found to be quite reasonable to add in.

Code: Select all

version 1.0.2
--> Updated Map at certain sections
    --> Northern cave is more accessible
    --> Western conduit's path is more accessible
--> Defender Conduit now has enhanced sight which reveals starting area of the defender
--> Shroud is disabled for all sides now
--> More instructions given in scenario objectives
    --> Getting a little crowded in there.
--> Add more map labels at certain villages
--> Add more variations to the allies defenders can get
    --> depends on team strength
--> Swap starting positions of players 3 and 5 & 4 and 6
Mark the hexes which serve as tunnel exits. For example, put red labels for all entrances and exits connected to Area A, blue labels for all entrances and exits connected to Area B, or some other solution.
Randomize the position where the attacking leaders start, so that the defender must anticipate any direction. The scenario called Troll Hole in TRoW does something like this.
Randomize where the defending leaders spawn among the four possible spawn points.
Move the text in map labels that say "Turn 1: Nagas, Turn 3: Dunefolk" etc to the Scenario Objectives.
I would probably adding these in the next release (1.0.3) or a release right after it. Still need to add items and shop.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

--> More instructions given in scenario objectives
--> Getting a little crowded in there.
If scenario objectives is crowded we could also use the Map Description in the "Create Game" menu.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

version 1.0.3
--> 1v1 Mode: specific
    --> attacker start position is now randomised
--> all scenarios: added items
    --> both attackers and defenders get items
    --> only 2 items for all defending teams
    --> only 4 items for all attacking teams
    --> item effects last for a scenario
--> enemy wave info moved to right-click menu
That just leaves the shops for v1.0.4 or later.
If scenario objectives is crowded we could also use the Map Description in the "Create Game" menu.
Yes, that's what I ended up doing. Moved a lot of the rules/instructions to the map description.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

I have updated the addon on 1.16, 1.17 and trunk addon servers. This release more or less completes it by adding the last planned feature.

There is one optional feature left to add which is a monster spawning shop (as in investing gold to get some monster units to your AI ally side) but I am rather speculative on whether players want it or not. I guess feedback will tell since I hardly got any.

version 1.0.4
--> added shops for attackers

version 1.0.5
--> add option choice to get generated name for the leader or restore to player name
--> update POT file

version 1.0.6
--> adjust MP settings to allow 4MP leaders to get the quick trait
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

version 1.0.8
--> fix the OOS errors due to the multi-target bidirectional [tunnel]s
    --> I hope I fixed it though. Didn't appear for me when testing this time
--> allowed gold farming from enemy kills
--> update two typos in item dialogs
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Ah, so...It's been discovered that the [tunnels] are causing OOS and a bug fix patch has been prepared.
Thus, my addon wasn't bugged after all :D It was the game engine XD
Once 1.16.4 and 1.17.5 are available, I will update CoD with the bug patched version (restoring tunnels).