Big map of Irdya: GSE edition

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mechanical

Big map of Irdya: GSE edition

Post by Mechanical »

The main goal of the GSE has always been to expand the world of Wesnoth. I'm looking at this era as a mod for the region of Irdia east of the kingdom of Wesnoth. I used to be busy creating factions. Now 6 factions are done, and I started designing the lore. I started with the map, as it helps visualize the place of the steppe factions in the Wesnoth universe.

Some people have tried to create a big map of Irdia before. I don't like their approach. Unknown lands were filled with random terrain and random races from default (or some addons). These races did not have a connected history, culture, state. There was a feeling that the only civilization was Wesnoth in the west, and the rest of the lands were inhabited by small "wild" tribes (and somewhere there must be the advanced dunefolk).

I offer a completely different perspective. In my version, the eastern lands of Irdia are inhabited by new peoples who have an ancient history, state, religion, and culture. They are connected with each other by a complex system of political relations and often arrange bloody wars. The East of Irdia, in my understanding, is the territory of dark fantasy in "Asian" colors. The cultures I have presented are quite different from classic fantasy based on Western Europe.

In fact, I have a lot of lore about the history, culture, and society of the eastern factions. But little has been translated into English so far. I will try to briefly tell you the history of the region and each state. Think of it as your main points. (In the future, all these theses will be detailed in my articles on the wiki and in the game).

General cosmology:
History of the region:

Now briefly about each power. In fact, none of them is a monolith and does not control their vast territories in the sense of modern countries. But to talk about the intricacies of the structure of each power would be too long (and would be beyond the scope of the post). Think of the borders as the expanse of influence of each faction.

The Bull Tumen (reddish brown):
The Ogre Kingdom (white):
The Serpent Khaganate (orange):
The Northern Knyaz Triumvirate (blue):
The Dead Field Coven (purple):
The Tartarus Mandate (green):
I will still improve the map, my plans are to create detailed maps of each country and work out the terrain even more. For example, I have a more detailed sketch of the Ogre Kingdom map:

I hope that my vision of the east of Irdia will interest you. I am always open for discussions, suggestions and development!
My art thread
If you like my art, try The Great Steppe Era!
Also try my Rage (16+) drakes slasher campaign!
Join the Wesnoth Modders Guild community!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Big map of Irdya: GSE edition

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

WOAH. This is amazing!

So much lore built from a single add-on, and has a detailed map of the Northern Great Continent which hasn't properly been done in many years.

Keep up the awesome work, guys :D
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Mechanical

Re: Big map of Irdya: GSE edition

Post by Mechanical »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: March 27th, 2022, 6:45 pm WOAH. This is amazing!

So much lore built from a single add-on, and has a detailed map of the Northern Great Continent which hasn't properly been done in many years.

Keep up the awesome work, guys :D
Thanks! I'm glad that even such a small part of the general steppe lore impressed you.

Of course the work will continue. My main goal is to make the steppe an "unofficial canon". I really want to deeply open the East of the Great Continent. I hope people appreciate my work.
My art thread
If you like my art, try The Great Steppe Era!
Also try my Rage (16+) drakes slasher campaign!
Join the Wesnoth Modders Guild community!