South Guard 8a - Return to Kerlath help

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Canageek

South Guard 8a - Return to Kerlath help

Post by Canageek »

I'm unclear what I'm supposed to do here; The dialogue tells me not to slaughter the elves, but there are too many of them to move past, and too many choke points. I have tried sneaking past them to the east, but they still come and get you there. *Am* I supposed to just kill them all?

I tried looking for help online, but every review just talks about bandits and the map being exceptionally easy; I guess the revisions are why I don't recall having any trouble with this campaign when I played it in 2007.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: South Guard 8a - Return to Kerlath help

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Canageek wrote: March 24th, 2022, 8:06 pm I'm unclear what I'm supposed to do here; The dialogue tells me not to slaughter the elves, but there are too many of them to move past, and too many choke points. I have tried sneaking past them to the east, but they still come and get you there. *Am* I supposed to just kill them all?

I tried looking for help online, but every review just talks about bandits and the map being exceptionally easy; I guess the revisions are why I don't recall having any trouble with this campaign when I played it in 2007.
Summary: Stall elves at your fortified fortress, move the Shyde to the Great Tree as specified.

You should try reading the dialogue of the scenario which tells you what to do.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Canageek

Post by Canageek »

I think you are talking about the wrong scenario? There is no one called Shyde in this scenario, Deoran is the commander you have to move north.

The only instructions aside from the mission objective are from Ethiliel "fight past our foes, but fight to subdue, not to kill. [...] I would not have our people needlessly slaughtered as well" but the only way I can see to win this scenario is to just slaughter all the elves.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Canageek wrote: March 25th, 2022, 7:36 pm I think you are talking about the wrong scenario? There is no one called Shyde in this scenario, Deoran is the commander you have to move north.

The only instructions aside from the mission objective are from Ethiliel "fight past our foes, but fight to subdue, not to kill. [...] I would not have our people needlessly slaughtered as well" but the only way I can see to win this scenario is to just slaughter all the elves.
Ah, age must be getting to me.
Anyways for this one. You have to rush past elves to the human fort (3,7). I suggest recalling a shaman veteran (Druid) and some Swordsman and Pikemen and then rushing North to the fort. It's doable. Also, in this scenario, killing enemy units is taken as "knocking them unconscious" for lore purposes so it's all good.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Canageek

Post by Canageek »

Thanks, that was unclear as in at least one other campaigns there is bonuses for not killing units of a specific faction, if I recall correctly. (It has been a lot of years; I'm coming back to Wesnoth after last playing in 2007, so I could be mixing it up with another game). Also I just did a mission in Liberty where you have to sneak past enemies without fighting them, so I thought it might be a situation like that.