Default Magical Noob Era, with zombie survival faction and dismount mod!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Magical_Noob

Default Magical Noob Era, with zombie survival faction and dismount mod!

Post by Magical_Noob »

The Era Default Magical Noob is an add-on made to give players more advancement options, with a number of new units added to the default factions. Each new unit is made with a consistent art style to ensure that they blend in with the existing units of the default factions. Additionally, two new factions were added; the Empire (note: the structure of this new faction is quite different from the others) and Zombai (note: zombie AI faction made to be usable by computer player to effectively turn any multiplayer scenario into a zombie survival, scroll down for more info). This add-on also includes a dismount mod, ensure it is enabled to mount and dismount your cavalry units (scroll down to the dismount mod section for more details).

Here is a screenshot of some of the units:
Unit screenshot II.png

New units' advancement tree for all factions

Note I: Although not mentioned on this list, all other default advancements options are still available, e.g. Red mage can still advance to Arch Mage or Silver Mage as normal.
Note II: the arrows below ">" represents advancement into the other unit. "(New)" are units added in this Era.
Note III: The screenshot above only shows some of the units, not all. Are you able to guess which is which? ;)

Multi-Faction
Red Mage > Battle Mage (New) > Elite Battle Mage (New) or Great Battle Mage (New) [Factions: Loyalists, Rebels]
White Mage > War Priest (New) [Factions: Loyalists, Rebels]
Zealot (New, obtained through special recruitment, see update 0.0.5 note) >>Promotes with gold>> War Acolyte (New) [Factions: Loyalists, Rebels,Knalgans]
Mercenary Captain (New) > Condottiere (New) [Factions: Dunefolk, Loyalists, Northerners]
Ogre Mercenary (New) [Factions: Dunefolk, Loyalists, Northerners]
Freelance Scout (New) > Freelance Pathfinder (New) > Freelance Ranger (New) or Freelance Firewarrior (New) or Freelance Lancer (New) [Factions: Loyalists, Rebels]

Loyalists
Swordsman > Elite Guard (New)
General > True Paladin (New)
Saint (New) > Martyr (New)

Rebels
Elvish Shaman > Elvish Shield Warrior(New)
Venerable Shaman (New) > Venerable Warglaive (New) or Venerable Cleric (New) or Venerable Shield Warrior (New)
Wose > Wose Druid (New)
Elvish Lord > Elvish Sober Lord (New)
Elvish Sorceress > Elvish Spellblade (New) or Elvish Magicarcher (New) or Elvish Spellrider (New)

Northerners
Troll Hero > Troll Warlord (New)
Goblin Spearman > Witch Doctor Apprentice (New) > Witch Doctor (New)
Orcish Crossbowman > Field Medic (New)
Orcish Assailant (New) > Orcish Sniper (New)
Troll Destroyer (New)

Dunefolk
Falconer > Falcon Guard (New) or Falcon Healer (New)
Apothecary > Armoured Apothecary (New)
Dune Soldier > Dune Stalwart (New)

Drakes
Saurian Augur > Battle Healer (New)
Drake Thrasher > Vindicator (New)
Winged Wolf (New) > Winged Wolflord (New)

Knalgans
Dwarvish Steelclad >Rune Paladin (New)
Dwarvish Stalwart > Rune Cleric (New)
Valkyrie (New)
Dwarvish Guardsman or Dwarvish Thunderer > Dwarvish Stalwart (New) > Dwarvish Sentinel Thunderguard (New)

Undead
Walking Corpse > Zombie Adept (New) > Zombie Mender (New)
Bone Shooter > Bone Mender (New)
Bone Guard (New)

Empire (New Faction)
Conscript Archer (New) > Veteran Archer (New) or Veteran Arbalester (New) or Veteran Gunner (New)
Conscript Lancer (New, 1st tree) > Veteran Lancer (New) > Elite Lancer (New)
Conscript Lancer (New, 2nd tree) > Petty Officer (New) > Commissioned Field Officer (New) or Commissioned Gunnery Officer (New) or Commissioned Imperial Officer (New) or Commissioned Missionary Officer (New)
Imperial Citizen (New, can only be obtain under special circumstances, similar to Elite Auxilia)
Imperial Reinforcement (New)
Conscript Spearguard (New) > Veteran Bludgeonier (New) or Veteran Spearguard (New) or Veteran Vanguard (New) or Veteran Arbalester (New)
Empire Elite Auxilia (New, can only be obtain under special circumstances, see update 0.0.5 note)
Empire Exalted Chaplain (New, leader option only, cannot be recruited)
Empire Exalted Officer (New, leader option only, cannot be recruited)
Empire Exalted Commander (New, leader option only, cannot be recruited)
Empire Exalted Gunner (New, leader option only, cannot be recruited)
Empire Exalted Guard (New, leader option only, cannot be recruited)
Empire Gunblade (New, leader option only, cannot be recruited)
Empire Iron Chaplain (New)
Empire Iron Guard (New)
Empire Iron Gunner (New)
Empire Iron Lancer (New)
Empire Iron Raider (New)
Empire Iron Scimmy (New)

Zombai (New Faction)
Zombie (New) > Mutant Zombie Devourer (New) or Mutant Zombie (New) > Armed Mutant Zombie (New)
Zombie Flyer (New) > Mutant Zombie Flyer (New)
Zombie Brawler (New) > Mutant Zombie Brawler (New) > Mutant Zombie Brusier (New)
Apex Mutant Abomination (New)
Nom Nom Zombie (New)
Zomzilla (New)
Zombie Lord (New)

New Factions:

Empire overview:
They are relatively cheap, with exceptional attack and resistance for their level, which is level 0… and they also have very low hit points. Not all of the units can advance, only conscript units have the capability to do so. All empire units are available in both genders.

In game description:
The Empire is a faction of Humans with technological prowess unmatched amongst all the human nations, no other can manufacture armours as strong and light as them, and their firearm advancements rivals even that of the dwarfs, or shall I say rifles... Although their standard issue armament is top tier, but their training on the other hand… is somewhat lack luster to say the least… This earned them the nickname The Noob Empire, coincidently the empire itself was founded by a mysterious yet magical noob many centuries ago.

Zombai overview:
The Zombai faction (Zombie AI) was made for AI use to turn any multiplayer scenario into a zombie survive game, although designed for computer use, but human players are free to use it to take on multiple other players if they so wish. As mentioned, this faction can easily take on more than one opponent, thus it is strongly advised to bring a few allies along if you intend to fight it. Do note, this faction will progressively unlock stronger units as more turns went on.

Magical Dismount Mod:
The dismount mod allows all mounted units in the era to have the option to mount/dismount when it has movement points left, by doing so; the unit will lose all movements for the turn. The characteristics of a dismounted unit may differ from their mounted counterparts, example of those differences are as follows:
  • Dismount unit will have less movement point.
  • Pierce resistant has been amended when dismounted for some of the units.
  • Attacks like claw/bite from griffin riders/wolf riders are converted to punches (as the rider doesn’t use any other weapon themselves).
  • Charge attacks on some mounted units becomes first strike when dismounted.
Note: The mod should work on normal default era as well. And most likely work on default units in other eras.

Add-on has been published. Feel free to try it out and provide feedbacks. Thanks.
Last edited by Magical_Noob on July 30th, 2022, 2:24 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Magical_Noob

Re: Default Magical Noob Era

Post by Magical_Noob »

Update 0.0.5

New features:
If you have one of the following unit in your army, you will be able to recruit Zealots after your next recruitment:
Rebels: War Priest, White Mage, Mage of Light, Venerable Cleric
Loyalists: War Priest, White Mage, Mage of Light, Paladin, True Paladin, Saint, Martyr
Dwarfs: Rune Paladin, Rune Cleric
Empire: Empire Exalted Chaplain

'War Priest', can recruit 'Zealots' anywhere on the map next to itself, but have additional costs compared to recruiting from keep.

'Zealot' units are level 0 with no advancement, but can convert defeated enemies into zealots. Players can choose to pay gold to promote them into 'War Acolytes' (level 2s).

Empire faction Auxilia, 'Empire Exalted Chaplain' and 'Empire Exalted Officer' can now convert non Empire units in their army next to them into 'Empire Elite Auxilia' by paying gold, normally this option would not appear as they can only recruit empire units on normal maps without mods, but will be usable in maps like work conquest, etc.

Update 0.0.6

New Unit:
Valkyrie (Dwarf)

Update 0.0.8

New Faction:
Zombai (Zombie AI Faction)
Zombie > Mutant Zombie Devourer or Mutant Zombie > Armed Mutant Zombie
Zombie Flyer > Mutant Zombie Flyer
Zombie Brawler > Mutant Zombie Brawler > Mutant Zombie Brusier
Apex Mutant Abomination
Nom Nom Zombie
Zomzilla
Zombie Lord

Other New Units:
Orcish Assailant (Northerners)
Orcish Sniper (Northerners)
Saint (Loyalists)
Martyr (Loyalists)

Update 0.0.9

New Units:
Empire Gunblade (Empire)
Empire Exalted Commander (Empire)

Update 0.0.11

New Units:
Empire Exalted Guard (Empire)
Empire Exalted Gunner (Empire)

Update 0.0.12

New Units:
Mercenary Captain (Dunefolk, Loyalists, Northerners)
Condottiere (Dunefolk, Loyalists, Northerners)
Ogre Mercenary (Dunefolk, Loyalists, Northerners)
Troll Destroyer (Northerners)
Bone Guard (Undead)

Update 0.0.13

New Units:
Wose Druid (Rebels)
Dune Stalwart (Dunefolk)
Winged Wolf (Drakes)
Winged Wolflord (Drakes)
Elvish Sober Lord (Rebels)
Elvish Spellblade (Rebels)
Elvish Magicarcher (Rebels)
Dwarvish Stalwart Thunderer (Knalgans)
Dwarvish Sentinel Thunderguard (Knalgans)
Freelance Scout (Loyalist, Rebels)
Freelance Pathfinder (Loyalist, Rebels)
Freelance Ranger (Loyalist, Rebels)
Freelance Firewarrior (Loyalist, Rebels)
Freelance Lancer (Loyalist, Rebels)
Elvish Spellrider (Rebels)

Update 0.0.14

New mod:
The Magical Dismount mod has been added. This dismount mod allows all mounted units in the era to have the option to mount/dismount when it has movement points left, by doing so; the unit will lose all movements for the turn. The characteristics of a dismounted unit will differ from their mounted counterparts.
Last edited by Magical_Noob on July 30th, 2022, 2:28 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Magical_Noob

Re: Default Magical Noob Era, with new zombie faction added for survival games!

Post by Magical_Noob »

Please note that updates such as code optimisation, art alteration, unit stats change, etc are regard as minor changes and their details will not be logged, the minor changes added so far are as follows:
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Hi, just tried this and it looks good, works buuut there may be a small problem with the empire faction. They're low hp and 70% resist but that seems to be a tad out of hand. Way too strong. Also when they level they gain a lot of hp and they level fast. The AI side with them just cleaned up.
Magical_Noob

Post by Magical_Noob »

Atreides wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 6:23 pm Hi, just tried this and it looks good, works buuut there may be a small problem with the empire faction. They're low hp and 70% resist but that seems to be a tad out of hand. Way too strong. Also when they level they gain a lot of hp and they level fast. The AI side with them just cleaned up.
Thank you for the feedback Atreides. Yes I do agree it needs to be tweaked a bit. Perhaps I will give them a little bit more base HP and then increase the experience requirement to level, that way they won't be too squishy and will have similar survivability as other faction's basic units, this will reduce the dependence of them having the ability to level up very quickly. Since having a very low experience requirement will lead to easy HP increase as the unit levels very quickly which scales off too well on units with such high resistance %. That said, work on this will probably start after I have completed a mod which I am currently working on.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Tried another game and the Empire totally dominated again.

I had a look at the units in the web database and I see that for example the iron scimmy is a level 0 with +4 regen, 8x3(drains)/6x3 melee/ranged (very strong for a level 1, never mind a L0). All for the cost of 12 and 12 xp. Mostly xp is 2-3 times the cost. My own formula for cost would make this unit about 50 xp and 17 gold! And level 1 of course.

Empire exalted guard is a leader and has similar stats to other L2 leaders but is L0, looks like a small oversight.

I look forward to seeing them overhauled because they are a unusual faction and I am fascinated by those. : )

I've done a bit of that myself. The Gremlins of the Lonely Era are an all teleporting race... balancing them was quite interesting. The Void from The Beyond Southern Hells are 1 hp units with 150 round berserk and 1x1 attacks (either melee or ranged) and I'm still working on them. : )
IPS

Post by IPS »

Atreides, I think the intention of this era is not being a serious project but instead a very passionate one.

It's quite blatant that all new units are much stronger than their defaultish counterparts, by not talking about the Empire faction itself. Still the sprite collection feels quite fresh even if franked lol.

Also I think that Empire faction to be more correct should have the strongest (but in fair ways) early game and being limited by the incapacity of lv3 which could of limit their late / end game potential, limiting them to have disadventage at long turns survivals (still.... they're very susceptible from being abused if using an extra mod like XP MOD is) which only way to fix that is making AMLA XP values absurdly low to avoid the 56 XP exchange of extra strike requiring certain units to AMLA multiple times before considering this upgrade.

It's still interesting to analyze this era because of the excentric well designed sprites this era has to offer xD , but I would rather not even trying to play that in multiplayer with such disbalances.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Magical_Noob

Post by Magical_Noob »

@Atreides
The initial idea for the empire faction was for it to have very weak basic units at the start that can growth gradually (but not through traditional unit advancement), along with low gold cost and level 0 with no upkeep (also to align with the lore); this allows the player to have massive army of them, but few will survive. Of course, due to balancing issue, this might have to change. I will try and tweak it a bit to see what works. So, normal balancing calculations would probably not work well for this faction.

Also, thanks for pointing out empire exalted guard’s level, you are correct, it needs to be amended.

@IPS
Great observation, the reason why I started creating this faction was because I wanted to make the pve scenarios easier to complete while also wanting to implement some unit ideas. That said, even if its geared towards pve, I do want the factions to be somewhat balanced if possible.

I have had similar thought before, my thought was to create an alternate version of XP MOD with limited upgrades per unit. But didn’t have the time in the end to add it in.

Thank you both for your feedbacks 😊

Balancing work will come after I have published my new update, which is a mod for this addon. Will also take a break before I start any work, since the latest mod was a bit draining.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

So the era is meant for survivals? Something like using the Age of Heroes or the Era of Magic (which is internally balanced but overpowered vs default) to make it easier? I've almost given up on survivals as they often seem to be geared to reloaders but using an era to compensate is something I've tried.
Magical_Noob

Post by Magical_Noob »

Atreides wrote: July 28th, 2022, 3:58 pm So the era is meant for survivals? Something like using the Age of Heroes or the Era of Magic (which is internally balanced but overpowered vs default) to make it easier? I've almost given up on survivals as they often seem to be geared to reloaders but using an era to compensate is something I've tried.
Yup, hope you have fun using it. Anyways, I will look to work on tweaking the factions after a break as I have just published the new update as mentioned previously.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Magical_Noob wrote: July 30th, 2022, 2:32 pm
Atreides wrote: July 28th, 2022, 3:58 pm So the era is meant for survivals? Something like using the Age of Heroes or the Era of Magic (which is internally balanced but overpowered vs default) to make it easier? I've almost given up on survivals as they often seem to be geared to reloaders but using an era to compensate is something I've tried.
Yup, hope you have fun using it. Anyways, I will look to work on tweaking the factions after a break as I have just published the new update as mentioned previously.
I am indeed. After posting this I started up that nightmarish Isle of the Mysts survival using the Empire and Lo and behold it is great fun. Thanks! I'd managed a win vs IoM using the EoMa Masters & Slaves (lev 4's) before and now I'll see if I can do it again with the Empire.

It's quite a thrilling game so far. Because the guys are L0 I have to be even more sure to fill any gaps in the walls. At a few desperate moments I had to use conscripts (which I note are pretty weak - but then at 4 gp it makes a good stopgap for 1 turn) but the armoured ones are doing pretty well. One Raider has grown so strong that the AI refuses to melee him and is trying to shoot him down only. Pretty nuts to be able to hold an exposed corner with a berserker! Also interesting is that fresh raiders I made trying to replicate him have failed. I realize they need to be carefully nurtured when young.
Magical_Noob

Post by Magical_Noob »

Atreides wrote: July 30th, 2022, 3:25 pm
I am indeed. After posting this I started up that nightmarish Isle of the Mysts survival using the Empire and Lo and behold it is great fun. Thanks! I'd managed a win vs IoM using the EoMa Masters & Slaves (lev 4's) before and now I'll see if I can do it again with the Empire.

It's quite a thrilling game so far. Because the guys are L0 I have to be even more sure to fill any gaps in the walls. At a few desperate moments I had to use conscripts (which I note are pretty weak - but then at 4 gp it makes a good stopgap for 1 turn) but the armoured ones are doing pretty well. One Raider has grown so strong that the AI refuses to melee him and is trying to shoot him down only. Pretty nuts to be able to hold an exposed corner with a berserker! Also interesting is that fresh raiders I made trying to replicate him have failed. I realize they need to be carefully nurtured when young.
Glad to hear that. I myself like to use the era for world conquest and team survival maps, and yes its definitely important to take extra care to nurture them. A single berserker holding off tons of enemies is surprisingly historically accurate, for example like at the Battle of Stamford Bridge. :D
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Magical_Noob wrote: July 30th, 2022, 11:18 pm
Atreides wrote: July 30th, 2022, 3:25 pm

Glad to hear that. I myself like to use the era for world conquest and team survival maps, and yes its definitely important to take extra care to nurture them. A single berserker holding off tons of enemies is surprisingly historically accurate, for example like at the Battle of Stamford Bridge. :D
Oh geez, now I gotta go look that up. : ) I've heard of the battle but my speciality is WW2 so no details on this one.

I've also been trying out the Zombai! A really interesting new concept to turn any scenario into a survival.

They are really strong though as advertised. I tried them on Twister Desert with me and 4 AI vs them but they rolled over us. (I know AI are poor in survival defense but I didn't feel like playing 5 sides) I tried a few more until I noticed in Merwuerdigliebe that the AI gets an expanded keep. The 8 of us (7 AI) quickly took over their keep and killed the zombies but the Lord was practically unkillable. Well the AI refused to attack him mostly. We had 20-30 troops around him and humans would just have worn him down to win.

Then I tried them as a player and realized that they also get 500 gp at start IGNORING the game setting. That was highly unfortunate to have not known. I kept trying to balance them by starting them with 25 gp... : ( My latest try is a 60x60 4p random map with 500 gp for all sides. Still in progress.

The zombie AI doesn't build brawlers it seems and I looked at the stats for the flyer it has ghost like resistances making it a much better deal than the standard zombie the AI foolishly builds anyways. They both cost 4 yet one flies and has massive resistances?
Magical_Noob

Re: Default Magical Noob Era, with zombie survival faction and dismount mod!

Post by Magical_Noob »

@Atreides I see, I guess I will have to balance them a bit more, perhaps reduce the starting gold and also nerf the lord a bit. How do you feel about their attacks/strike/overall damage? and from your play experience is every 10 turns enough time for you to get your troops prepared for the stronger zombie waves?

As always, thank you for your feedbacks.
Atreides

Re: Default Magical Noob Era, with zombie survival faction and dismount mod!

Post by Atreides »

Magical_Noob wrote: August 5th, 2022, 1:21 pm @Atreides I see, I guess I will have to balance them a bit more, perhaps reduce the starting gold and also nerf the lord a bit. How do you feel about their attacks/strike/overall damage? and from your play experience is every 10 turns enough time for you to get your troops prepared for the stronger zombie waves?

As always, thank you for your feedbacks.
Actually the starting gold is not really a problem. The only thing was that it over rides the players selection. Suggestion: Perhaps disable allowing the player to alter starting gold for the zombai so that no one thinks they have any control over it. I suppose it should also be set at 500 to disclose what it is.

As for their combat I did mention the flyer seems very cheap for its abilities. But it seems just right in terms of attack power.

Haha, so they get more every 10 turns? A 500 gp refill? In the random game I'd started (haven't gotten back around to it yet) I noticed that something was going on. Oh stronger waves... so maybe more than 500 gp refill. Oh my. : )

I'll have to play the saved game more to know how it goes, the 3 player sides have actually pushed the zombai into their corner when I'd saved it but as I said I noticed that there seemed to be masses of fresh zombies coming so I can't say whether we'll advance or have to retreat!

Actually I think I'll load it up now and play on, it was quite entertaining.
Addendum: I gave up on that one, I messed it up and also the dwarves have no way to fight the zombie flyers (only arcane/fire are effective) and that was my random faction.
I started another one though and won it. Allied with 2 AI vs Zombai, 800 gp and +18 income for all 3. Used some custom Age of Heroes factions (thanks to Custom Campaign you can import any faction(s)) which had good zombie fighting ability. Yeah, I stacked that in my favour. Now that I've won I don't mind playing more of a challenge and will try some out.

I did see some Brawlers recruited now. Cool sprite! Looks like they tend to get recruited only in the second wave at turn 10 or something. Also spotted a Devourer. Also some Mutants, but not sure yet what they are.

The dismount mod is now showing up too, will try to try it out soon. I think Wesnoth has a problem displaying more than a fixed number of mods and I seem to be at the limit of one page full... Dismount showed up after I uninstalled another mod.