Career paths for Zlex and Tallin?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revolting_peasant

Career paths for Zlex and Tallin?

Post by revolting_peasant »

I'm just starting Northern Rebirth (on the easiest difficulty for now). My Zlex is just about to level up from Spearman, and I was wondering: Which would be a good choice for him? I'm guessing Javelineer would be a poor choice despite the unit's nice balance, since I don't plan on losing him, and it's a waste not to get a free L3 unit. So... Swordsman or PIkeman?

Same question for Tallin.
Last edited by revolting_peasant on March 29th, 2022, 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
otzenpunk

Re: Carrer paths for Zlex and Tallin?

Post by otzenpunk »

I'd definitely go with Swordsman/Royal Guard on both. First strike is nice, but on level 3 he's seldomly going to be attacked by melee and pierce weapons are nearly useless in the undead scenarios. Also Royal Guards get an additional movement point, which is pretty rad.

Tallin later on switches to the Sergeant line anyway.

As you said, Javlineer is the worst. Fighting against them is quite annoying, but they tend to die quickly und don't have a level 3.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

revolting_peasant wrote: March 5th, 2022, 2:18 pm I'm just starting Northern Rebirth (on the easiest difficulty for now). My Zlex is just about to level up from Spearman, and I was wondering: Which would be a good choice for him? I'm guessing Javelineer would be a poor choice despite the unit's nice balance, since I don't plan on losing him, and it's a waste not to get a free L3 unit. So... Swordsman or PIkeman?

Same question for Tallin.
My answers:
1. Zlex. Do not even think and just go straight to Swordsman. Really, just do not even bother with any brain power usage. Swordsman FTW.
In-Depth Answer which you may or may not need to know:

2. Tallin.
Same. Swordsman.
In-Depth Answer which you may or may not need to know:

3. Both. NEVER Javelineer.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
revolting_peasant

So, Swordsman it is. Another reason not mentioned by Lord-Knightmare and otzenpunk is better predictability: A 4-hit blade attack is more likely to have damage close to its expected damage relative to a 2-hit blade attack (the Pikeman's). This fact, the resistance and the extra movement point trump the First Strike capability, given that pierce will not be too helpful.
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

There is nothing more satisfying than seeing people give Swordsman-line the praise it rightfully deserves.
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
revolting_peasant

Re: Career paths for Zlex and Tallin?

Perhaps it's although worth mentioning that a Drake Burner you find later should be leveled into a Flame rather than a Fire Drake. Flamethrowing is lame if you're not a marskman and if you have to stay alive (Loyal unit...) and Drakes are kind of fragile and take forever to heal, so the high HP is more of a liability. Give it Leadership and you'll get a lot more bang for your buck.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Flamethrowing is lame if you're not a marskman and if you have to stay alive (Loyal unit...)
Fire Drake/Inferno Drake has higher HP scaling than the Flare/Flameheart counterpart also, if playing biased RNG, the Fire Drake shines out more. for true RNG, any would be okay.

In the end, it depends on the player. If they want a Drake Flare, they take it or consider the Fire Drake path. (Also, would be smashing if Krash was Armageddon Drake)
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

Fire Drake and Drake Flare are both very good units, an argument can be made for both, while Swordsman just outshines Pike.
Though if i remember correctly, Krash has the resilient trait, which is better suited for the Fire Drake line. Just like quick or strong is better on Flare. And if you choose the Fire Drake, you can still just level up another burner into a Flare, that has the traits to match aswell.
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
otzenpunk

Post by otzenpunk »

Krogen wrote: April 21st, 2022, 11:20 pm Fire Drake and Drake Flare are both very good units, an argument can be made for both, […]
Though if i remember correctly, Krash has the resilient trait, which is better suited for the Fire Drake line.
Maybe, but I'd argue, that lvl3 leadership is *very* helpful in Eastern Flank for your masses of lvl1 drakes, and you don't have many opportunities to get level-ups on other units during Stolen Gold. You've got plenty of potential then (in Eastern Flank) to level other burners into fire drakes as well, (after 2 or 3 more flares^^).
revolting_peasant

Krogen wrote: April 21st, 2022, 11:20 pm Fire Drake and Drake Flare are both very good units, an argument can be made for both, while Swordsman just outshines Pike.
For an arbitrary unit, I agree. But for a Loyal unit, which cannot become an Armageddon Drake, and which occasionally is even a recruiter - I disagree. And the extra HP is only good once, i.e. after an initial round or two of taking damage from attackers, it loses a lot of it, and after that you have to "pay" with turns healing and away from the front line. The Loyal Flare and then Flameheart will serve you well continuously.