Rage (16+ drakes slasher campaign for 1.16)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ForestDragon

Rage (16+ drakes slasher campaign for 1.16)

Post by ForestDragon »

Mechanical and I made a new campaign: Rage. It's a BRUTAL RPG slasher with BLOOD about dunefolk and drakes, a tale of revenge. If you want some proper carnage this campaign will be perfect for you!

You can get the campaign on the 1.16 server. Not recommended for those under 16 years old, or for the faint of heart.

image for the campaign by Kordov:
drake3.png
ThroneGame

Re: Rage (16+ drakes slasher campaign for 1.16)

Post by ThroneGame »

Finished the campaign in 2 hours or less, although couldn't get my hands on writing a review.
The campaign gives a very pleasant experience of decimating dozens of enemies with a small group of Drakes. It also tries to give the Dunefolk an image of merciless steppe marauders and sly merchants which I believe as opposed to their scientific and technological achievements.
As I said, the campaign is short, but it's good in a way that OP abilities don't get tiresome and boring.
Overall, very cool! :D
I was glad to work on such thing!
Co-developer of the Great Steppe Era (GSE): viewtopic.php?t=53932
My deviantart account: https://www.deviantart.com/coredove
Ptitboul

Post by Ptitboul »

I agree that it is a nice and short campaign.
Spoiler:
My campaign, Bloodlust, is is need of feedback!
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

So I just played through the campaign. It's good! You definitely get the feeling that you're a bloodthirsty drake bent on revenge and nothing will stand in your way! That being said, there are definitely things I would point out for feedback-sake.

Things I like:
The rolling objectives (though it would be nice to be able to see what objectives you've completed.)
As mentioned above, it's easy to feel the rage of the character and feel powerful.
I think the maps are beautiful (though terrain was almost never thought about after the first scenario.)
I like that it's short and easy to play through ( I like long campaigns too, but it's nice to have a swift one.)

First of all for things to talk about critique-wise, the dialog/storytelling could use a few tweaks, actually a good bit.
Things like:
"What can say those who have encountered the Dunefolk personally?"
"The leader refused to lower the price" (this one is a nitpick of using the term leader.)
"They took everything. Even the eggs. The nests were burned down. They left us to die."
Also, is that how drake chieftains are chosen? Are they called chieftains?
"My heart is filled with hatred" (another nitpick on specific word choice)
"My blades want to cut the throats of the sand-roaming b*" (again, word choice nitpick)
"we're going on our last campaign" (this might be the only contraction in the campaign, but it falls on a powerful sentence.)
"smoked faces"?
"we've lost!" (This is said right after you win the scenario, by your ally)
things like "wow" and "thanks."
And the consistent use of the word "deserters" which I'm assuming you're referring to those of the desert, but it very much reads as "those who flee from an army or battle" and it's confusing because it's an army of deserters...
I thought that it was a lie that the Dunefolk lived in a city? But now we're attacking said lied about city...

Then there are some technical things:
Might want to put an epilepsy warning in there.
Do we not need a reason for there to be Saurians mixed in? Is this considered completely normal with every flight?
Maybe rename the "Dunefolk Killed" counter, since it also applies to villages destroyed?
The Dunefolk in the gorge really just stand there and wait to die? They don't run, they don't try to talk to them, they don't rush out to fight you? At least they would keep in character of the other leaderless Dunefolk if they ran?
I didn't really understand who would get the upgrade at first, though it became clear almost immediately after choosing.
Is there any thematic reason that caravans have skirmisher?
The outposts don't all burn visibly.
I noticed that when the caravans are coming, at points they just stopped moving/attacking. I guess because I was too strong?
Did I fail the objective of killing 20 purple when I killed their leader before 20 units had even spawned?
Might want to skip the end of scenario bonus page thing, since it's like "You get ZERO gold" and you're like...ohh...
Also, why does the gorge scenario randomly end when you've killed some of one of the caravans?
There's no dialog from the wizard dude when he dies, which seems odd.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Released a quick patch that added an epilepsy warning (like mirion suggested), plus an option to disable the flashing lights in the scenario altogether
Rippper

Post by Rippper »

This campaign is awesome. I've played through a bunch of them over the years, including the epic RPG ones (loved those, too) but who knew slaughtering dune folk could be so entertaining :lol: Played the last scenario multiple times, it was too much fun to do area damage and pick off every last one of 'em. Thanks for making this super entertaining slasher campaign...more please!!
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Rippper wrote: August 5th, 2022, 12:42 am This campaign is awesome. I've played through a bunch of them over the years, including the epic RPG ones (loved those, too) but who knew slaughtering dune folk could be so entertaining :lol: Played the last scenario multiple times, it was too much fun to do area damage and pick off every last one of 'em.
Glad you liked it :)
Rippper wrote: August 5th, 2022, 12:42 am Thanks for making this super entertaining slasher campaign...more please!!
At the moment both me and mechanical are on a break from wesnoth, but we might eventually consider making a sequel.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

There is sadly a somewhat fatal bug in the upgrade system.
Unlocking Dexterity I after the Endurance V upgrade seem to disable Endurance V, which is, well, bad. It's the 'heal 20% of the killed unit' ability. :/
RAGE-Frontier-Auto-Save2.gz
(76.62 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
... it's even worse, Dexterity I seems to straight up disable Endurance V, doesn't matter in which order I get them. ._.
RAGE-Canyon of Death-Auto-Save23.gz
(74.82 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Also, Canyon of death doesn't seem to generate a scenario start file?

More endurance stuff:
The steadfast doubles up to 70%, IF the base resistance is not 50% or higher.
RAGE-Frontier-Auto-Save5.gz
(90.46 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
S2
The ally in S2 is really bad at prioritizing recruiting.

It seems insanely difficult to keep that mage alive, especially since the bonus is just an upgrade, which I'll get either way by killing 5 more dunefolk. That's like getting 20 gold for investing 10 turns in an optional objective.
Sometimes it's very easy because the mage keeps safe, sometimes he dies on like turn 4.

Epilogue
it's early to join -> it's too early for me to join

It was a blast. Only real suggestion would be to disable the animating of units getting hit by the area dmg, or have them animated at the same time instead of one after the other. It prolongs each fight by quite a bit.
Attachments
RAGE-Canyon of Death replay 20240209-160936.gz
(39.57 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
RAGE-Frontier replay 20240209-181341.gz
(53.14 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
RAGE-Rage replay 20240209-182307.gz
(43.49 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
RAGE-Massacre replay 20240209-182910.gz
(43.14 KiB) Downloaded 7 times