Walkthroughs Main Campaign in the Wiki are outdated

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

RufDerMacht

Walkthroughs Main Campaign in the Wiki are outdated

Post by RufDerMacht »

Pretty much all of the Main Campaign walkthroughs in the wiki - at least the ones I've looked at - are partly considerably out of date. This also applies to many other aspects of the wiki. The obvious reason for this is that nobody feels like keeping them up to date. That's understandable, because it's just annoying to keep track of every little change to the campaigns (and other aspects).

This gives rise to some questions: Can one at some point assume that at least some main campaigns will be finished and then stay that way? Can't you just say that this or that campaign is now finished and that there will be no more changes? Or are there problems that I don't see that make this impossible?

The consequence of this unreliability, as I would like to call it, is poor accessibility of the game, and thus poorer response. Which I think is a shame, because I think the game deserved a better response in the community.

That leads me to one final question: is there a body on the development team where such decisions - this and that aspect of the game is now finalized - can be made?

I find the question very relevant, because it depends on the acceptance of the game by the public. Because hardly anyone wants to submit to a design policy that is perceived as arbitrary.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Walkthroughs Main Campaign in the Wiki are outdated

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Pretty much all of the Main Campaign walkthroughs in the wiki - at least the ones I've looked at - are partly considerably out of date. This also applies to many other aspects of the wiki. The obvious reason for this is that nobody feels like keeping them up to date. That's understandable, because it's just annoying to keep track of every little change to the campaigns (and other aspects).
I agree with you. I did take an effort to write an up-to-date walkthrough for a campaign (WoF) but it's just one in a sea of many.
This gives rise to some questions: Can one at some point assume that at least some main campaigns will be finished and then stay that way? Can't you just say that this or that campaign is now finished and that there will be no more changes? Or are there problems that I don't see that make this impossible?
Hmm, good question...I think it depends on how the campaigns are rated/reviewed. Normally, the ones being reworked or due for a revision are ones which received bad feedback (DM/EI/LoW/NR). However, when those revisions will be done is another issue. Nobody knows.

We're all volunteers. We give our time and efforts to this game out of the love for the game.
That leads me to one final question: is there a body on the development team where such decisions - this and that aspect of the game is now finalized - can be made?
The Project Council's SP content Member and MP Content Members as well as the Project Manager.

Lastly, if you wish to do your version of the walkthroughs, you can make a new page on the wiki and get started. I guess you can start SotA, DW, DiD and UtBS, HttT, and TSG. They won't be changing (I dont think they have elements that need a change).
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
RufDerMacht

Post by RufDerMacht »

Thank you for reply. I see the difficulties. There may be no easy solutions.
mal_shubertal

Post by mal_shubertal »

Hi! I have been away from the game for a while, so I'm planning to play through some of the campaigns that have changed since I last saw them. I was thinking I could help out by updating some of the walkthroughs as I play through the campaigns. But I'm not sure about how to do that in a way that is not too disruptive/disrespectful. For example, if I go through one of these campaigns, and I see that the walkthrough is still pretty accurate for scenario 1 but very inaccurate for scenario 2, my instinct would be to make some edits on the scenario 1 section, and then totally erase and rewrite the scenario 2 section. I know this is all volunteer run, but I just want to know if I need to get some kind of permission or consult with someone before I start erasing big chunks of other people's writing?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

You could check the history and see who edited it last. If they have a forum account or some other way to contact them you could try that, otherwise feel free to go ahead with your updates.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code