The Unstoppable Legion - the end is nigh - NOW WITH THE BIG BIG PLOT TWIST

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Chris NS

Re: The Unstoppable Legion - the end is nigh - NOW WITH THE BIG BIG PLOT TWIST

Post by Chris NS »

Version 0.9.12 is uploading. Continuing my pass through the campaign, this is minor updates to the chapter 4 scenarios where things were particularly pressing and reasonably easy to address. Please keep coming with comments - even if I didn't address them this time, they are on my to do list.

Changelog:

Minor tidying/rebalacing of Chapter 4 (scenarios 14-23), including:

- Tweaked cosmetic layout at the start of The Parting of Ways where speaking units were obsured by their portraits.
- Rats in a Trap has fewer reinforcements in day 2 except for lots of reinforcements on the last few turns. Want to give the effect that - regardless of how well you played in this scenario and the last scenario, your forces will be on the brink of collapse by the end.
- Appearance over end of Stranger on the Shore and start of narrative Scenario the General's Tale now has an appearance of Sjendor, to better narrate the situation back at Karasov.
- General Karak now has the correct portrait image for his appearances from Stranger on the Shore onwards.

To do:
- Would like to look further at balancing on Rats in a Trap and Revenge of the fallen. Still some moments that are too easy and get boring.
- For some reason, there are some more up to date unit images in unused folders. Can apply them to the game.
- Lots of rebalancing to do in The Battle for Suveran, particularly the latter half.
- Add Sjendor into one last scene
- Want to give player the choice to defortify units when needed and not be forced when side switches to the players.
- And, of course, the last scenario! It's coming soon. I promise.

Known issues:

- Need to apply similar unit visibility fix to The Parting of Ways similar to The Elves Redeemed.
- Daemons materialising within Soulless fort in The Battle for Suveran needs a fix.
- Some enemy units are spawning into walls.
plantpaladin

Post by plantpaladin »

Played through it, overall good campaign. Dont have any problem with other maps but last scenario is a BIG SLOG.
Took me several days to get through it before I gave up and used cheats.
Tricky difficulty and AI turns taking way too long even with AI moves disabled and max speed.
Have 8gb ram and 2.16ghz quad core.

Also saw that friendly AI can spawn Bone Riders on mountains.
Also would like to add that the system towards the end of the battle where you cant recruit and instead has to rely on loyal survivors might be cinematic but its not that funny to find out that you cant win if you lost one too many loyalists a day ago.
Are you supposed to fall back to the innter city before or after the water turns to solid ground?
Is there a possibility that the scenario could be split into two like where you have to save Weldyn in The Eastern Invasion?
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Hi,

Currently working on that last scenario now. That was a lot of work balancing and I ended up just pushing it out even though there's work to do.

At some point I will turn attention to how people ARE playing (as opposed to how the scenario intends people to play), but I'm playtesting on tricky and you can make it to the end without.

Next release will have an update to The Battle for Suveran (not a comprehensive update, just a few tweaks plus a bug fix), but that I want to finally get this last scenario done.
Shadow123

Post by Shadow123 »

Liked the campaign overall! Playing Battle of Suveran right now, about halfway through.

Small suggestion -
Spoiler:
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Thought I'd give an update.

I'm currently doing a big rebalance of The Battle for Suveran. As I'm sure you'll appreciate, balancing a scenario of this size is a tough job. I'm, quite happy with the balance up to the appearance of Viktor - after that, it's getting bogged down.

Don't go away, I will have something for you soon - just got to do another tweak and playtest first.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Unstopppable Legion 0.9.13 is out. This is a rebalancing update for The Battle for Suveran, and this was a brute. Still more work to be done with balancing, but I'm now satisfied we've got reasonably balanced gameplay for the first three objectives.

All being well, next update is the last scenario.

Major rebalancing of The Battle for Suveran (scenario 24)

- Fortified units now have +2hp healing ability.
- Fortified units identified by a red shield icon.
- Player now has a whether to switch fortified unit to their side, rather than have it done automatically.
- Player commanding the forces of Zharagorn (side 2 turns 1-19, side 1 after) gets an income bonus. This I've found is the best way to keep a consistent challenge throughout the siege phase of the scenario.
- Undead allies now appear throughout the scenario.
- Plus major changes to balancing to account for all of this.

Also:

- Zharagorn and Mal-Margheera now have portraits
- Add Sjendor appears in False Dawn scene

To do:
- Would like to look further at balancing on Rats in a Trap and Revenge of the fallen. Still some moments that are too easy and get boring.
- For some reason, there are some more up to date unit images in unused folders. Can apply them to the game.
- Battle for Suveran now seems reasonably balances up to and including defeating the orces, but the remaining phases (destroying temple onwards) still need more testing..
- Put fortified shields in other scenarios that have these units.
- And, of course, the last scenario! Next update, I promise.
Shadow123

Post by Shadow123 »

Chris NS wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 5:16 pm Unstopppable Legion 0.9.13 is out. This is a rebalancing update for The Battle for Suveran, and this was a brute. Still more work to be done with balancing, but I'm now satisfied we've got reasonably balanced gameplay for the first three objectives.

All being well, next update is the last scenario.

Major rebalancing of The Battle for Suveran (scenario 24)

- Fortified units now have +2hp healing ability.
- Fortified units identified by a red shield icon.
- Player now has a whether to switch fortified unit to their side, rather than have it done automatically.
- Player commanding the forces of Zharagorn (side 2 turns 1-19, side 1 after) gets an income bonus. This I've found is the best way to keep a consistent challenge throughout the siege phase of the scenario.
- Undead allies now appear throughout the scenario.
- Plus major changes to balancing to account for all of this.

Also:

- Zharagorn and Mal-Margheera now have portraits
- Add Sjendor appears in False Dawn scene

To do:
- Battle for Suveran now seems reasonably balances up to and including defeating the orces, but the remaining phases (destroying temple onwards) still need more testing..
- Put fortified shields in other scenarios that have these units.
So, I don't really know what happens if I update. I finished all the current scenarios and have a save file for the false dawn scenario. If I update the add-on will I need to replay the whole thing to be able to play the last scenario?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

So, I don't really know what happens if I update. I finished all the current scenarios and have a save file for the false dawn scenario. If I update the add-on will I need to replay the whole thing to be able to play the last scenario?
I think not. Usually save file death is caused by scenario ID changes or scenario structure changes which require to be played from start. Given the entries, such a thing has not happened so you can continue from False Dawn.
I have waited a decade. :D
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Don't worry. As far as I can tell, nothing in that update should break any campaigns already in progress.

Don't get too excited though. The False Dawn scenario still ends in a To Be Continued. Once I have the final scenario done, False Dawn should work fine.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Viktor?

Viktor?

Wake up, Viktor ...
Attachments
Open your eyes.jpg
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Wait...is it out...is it finally out? The long awaited final scenario? :O
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Sorry, that's just a teaser.

Last scenario shouldn't be as complex as the one before, but will still take some time. Expect more teasers as I make progress.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

"What is this place? I've seen nothing like it."
Attachments
Objectives.jpg
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

My God ... this place, it's beautiful ...

Where are we?
Attachments
Beautiful.jpg
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Did you miss me?

With my busy summer out of the way, I have resumed work in the very last scenario. This can be broken into four/five connect mini-scenarios. This means I can release partial scenario files as an when a mini-mission is done.

The first one is almost complete, barring one bug I identified. It should be with you tomorrow.