The Unstoppable Legion - the end is nigh - NOW WITH THE BIG BIG PLOT TWIST

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: The Unstoppable Legion - the end is nigh - NOW WITH THE BIG BIG PLOT TWIST

Post by Konrad2 »

Revenge_of_the_Fallen -> Revenge of the Fallen
was different challenge -> was a different challenge
Are there are -> Are there
where was indeed -> there was indeed
they doesn't look -> they don't look
given some of -> given you some of

...so, why exactly are you recalling my red mage person on 40,33? The result of that is me killing the leader of side 2 on turn 2.

Would you mind granting me the villages of any leader I've defeated?

Why does Karak demand upkeep from me? And why is he a newly created unit? With new traits?

he proven his -> he has proven his
men that men -> men that way

Any reason why Mulskaro reappears as a Skeleton Rider instead of a Bone Knight?
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Red mage: this is because I copied the recall list from another scenario and forgot to remove the location. (I playtested via The Front Line so didn't see that.)

Giving villages of defeated leaders: I was wondering about that - one could argue that if remains of a defeated side switch over the villages would logically go with them. However, there's balancing implications to consider there. I'm open to be persuaded either way on that.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Those was the -> Those were the
onec -> once
descedents -> descendents
with engaging with the -> with engaging the
that were were -> that we were
thank you now, -> thanks to you, now

(Check the previous post, apparently I added stuff while you wrote your latest post.)

As you can see, I worked very hard to exploit everything possible. And I'm very sad that the units of the last leader did not turn to my side. :( Like, really very very sad...

(Regarding the villages, it's frankly just annoyning that you have to recapture them.)
Attachments
UL-Revenge of the Fallen replay 20220224-110231.gz
(98.01 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

General Karak: on my to do list. Need to make a decision about carrying over XP, but depending on what I have to do it might need to support people who are half-way through a game and don't have a recall variable. But yes, until I implement this properly he should be a loyal unit.

Mulskaro reappearing as Skeleton Rider: good spot. I used Skeleton Rider temporarily because I knew that worked even though I couldn't understand where the unit was (answer: someone's coded the campaign to pull it over from Liberty). I updated the starting unit but forgot to do the same when the unit reappears on your side.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Okay, upload update imminent - in the meantime, however, I've noticed some folders in images that appears to be of updated custom units.

I'm happy to incorporate these into later updates, but first thing's first: does anyone reading this thread claim responsibility for those units?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

but first thing's first: does anyone reading this thread claim responsibility for those units?
As in updating the unit animation code for those units?
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

I was meaning does anybody claim responsibility for putting the units there?

I'm quite happy for someone to program in the animation code if they can't wait though.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

New version alert: welcome to 0.9.6.

There are no new scenarios in this release - the last two will need a lot of undivided attention, which I haven't yet had time to give. So, instead, I've gone through the existing scenarios where I've been meaning to make some changes.

There are two big changes. The first one is that in the scenarios where both Viktor and Prince Sven start on a fort, Prince Sven now keep and mini-forts which should make recruitment more interesting. And the other is that I've done some significant rebalancing of The Wrath of the Stone and The Parting of Ways. Those are still works in progress, so let me know if you have any requests for further balancing.

Full changelog:

- Throughout: In scenarios where both Viktor and Price Sven start on keeps, they now both have their own keeps. This should mae recruitment more interesting
- Also throughout: Prince Sven's available recalls are now controlled by the recall filter tag (which didn't exist at the time this was first implemented).
- Also: finally stopped the Undead music track cutting out for no reason. Hooray!
- Corrected most of text issues found by Konrad2
- The Dwarf and the Lich: Side 4 now always has goblin guards regardless of path to get there. Originally this was kept away for routes was 5a and 5b because for some reason they stopped recruitment, but that is no longer an issue under current AI.
- Ancient friends: increase gold for sides 1 and 4 to have a longer fight. Also added some more forest hills to give dwarrves some better fighting opportunities
- Race Against Time: Fixed AI so that Haathan Avery now fights back.
- The Mines of Alsok: Brought the outlying bridges in a little closer as they now seem impossible to reach.
- The Slient Siege: Added some more dark forces as this was too easy
- Also The Silent Siege: Viktor now gains healing power if he travelled via 5a and still has the unit with the holy amulet, to compensate for the lack of a loyal auto-recalled unit
- The Phantom Guard: Dark Champions illusions guarding cave entrance are now invincible again to all but Eridith (regression bug fix).
- The Wrath of the Stone: Tweaked map to make it easier for human units to get through regions where enemies pour in.
- The Elves Redeemed: Changed starting positions so units are not obscured by dialogue.
- Rats in a Trap: Major rebalancing: now made easier to take all the villages in Thorben, so that you can fight with more units, but vast numbers of enemy units appear in the last few turns. (Want it to be inevitable that substantial losses are taken at the end.)
- Stranger on the shore: Orc side now recruits sea orcs.
- Stranger on the shore: Nagas now desert if you try to fight side 4 with them. They may also desert if too many Nagas are killed.
- Stranger on the Shore onwards: General Karak now starts with 90XP to make levelling up to Grand Marshal achievable. XP is carried into later scenarios even before he joins side 1.
- Revenge of the Fallen: Mulskaro now doesn't change from a Bone Knight to Skeleton Rider when he joins you (bug fix).
- Plus ... reverted to the cavalier unit for the add-on server image.

To do:
- Would like to look further at balancing on Rats in a Trap and Revenge of the fallen. Some bits are too easy, other bit are too hard.
- For some reason, there are some more up to date unit images in unused folders. Can apply them to the game.

Known issues:

- Need to apply similar unit visibility fix to The Parting of Ways similar to The Elves Redeemed.
- The unit portraits amongst the custom units are wildly inconsistent. Ideally they should all be the same size as the current portraits.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

The Battle for Suveran is coming ...
Attachments
Suveran.jpg
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Hmm, your screenshot gave away a hint that the main attack force will be undead. :P
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: April 25th, 2022, 6:09 pm Hmm, your screenshot gave away a hint that the main attack force will be undead. :P
Yes, if you have noticed what I think you've noticed, that would indeed imply an attack by the undead.

Or does it?
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

You didn't think it would be that easy, did you?
Spoiler:
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Chris NS wrote: May 14th, 2022, 4:51 pm You didn't think it would be that easy, did you?
Spoiler:
:shock: :shock: :D :D :D

I am fired up :twisted:

Enemy attacks from 4 directions and limited resources to withstand a siege. Seems like the campaign would end with a bang.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

A lot of balancing needed to achieve this, but, yes, that's the general idea.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Here it is.

Nine sides.

Six objectives.

And over 5,000 lines of WML.

I have yet to playtest this all of the way through so there's probably plenty of bugs in the second half, so I'm not uploading it to the server just yet. And - as anyone who ploughs through this will realise - it takes a long time to play through this megascenario.

But if you can't wait to play this and you're willing to debug your way through anything that isn't yet working, I've attached it here. I presume anyone willing to take on a probably buggy file knows what to do.

For anyone intrepid enough, good luck. And have fun.

EDIT: It would help if I attached the map file.
Attachments
The_Battle_for_Suveran.map
(24.16 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
24_The_Battle_for_Suveran.zip
(33.1 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Last edited by Chris NS on June 16th, 2022, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.