The Unstoppable Legion - the end is nigh - NOW WITH THE BIG BIG PLOT TWIST

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: The Unstoppable Legion - the end is nigh

Post by Pentarctagon »

Getting Wesnoth on Flatpak or Steam will let you download 1.16.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

I have uploaded version 0.9.3 on to the version 1.14 server. As previously stated, I am planning to finish the scenarios on the native Ubuntu version first and look at porting to 1.16 later. Anybody who wishes to do the porting for me is welcome to do so.

This is another tweak release to address some annoying issues that came up in the playthroughs. For reference the changelog and know issues is reproduced below.

CHANGELOG

0.9.1-2 Port from vghetto port project

0.9.2 Re-uploaded to re-set author to me. Small changes in the process:
- Removed disclaimer in introduction about only six scenarios being available as vgehtto ported everything.
- Some minor rebalancing to take into account current AI making some scenarios too hard:
- Kept Rufus in keep for longer as he is easily surrounded otherwise.
- Small increase in player starting gold for More than a Match.
- Increase Wose starting gold so they can hold out better against enemies
- Slightly higher gold bonus when defeating first leader in Rats in a Trap to hold out against main enemies
- Corrected some story dialogue in Rats in a Trap.

0.9.3 More tweaks in advance of completing campsign.
- Reblanced HPs of Dark Cultist line to that higher level always has more HP. As far as I can tell this doesn't break the balance of the game, but I am monitoring this.
- Fixed illusion units so they don't do 0 damage - seems that the port team misunderstood that. As a result, AI for illusions now makes sense.
- Made Rats in a Trap easier - the better AI makes it very difficult to get this without a massacre of your units.
- Misc typo corrections.

Known issues:

- In The Dwarf and the Lich, the reinforcements triggered if you apporach side 4 acts as a Landmine
- The Demonologist doesn't fight back in Race Against Time. (Also not convinced you can always see materialising demons, will check.)
- In The Parting of Ways and The Elves Redeemed, the units at the beginning of the dialogue are obscured by the unit image.
- Most of the custom units have more up-to-date images in other UMCs.
- The unit portraits amongst the custom units are wildly inconsistent. Ideally they should all be the same size as the current portraits.
- For some reason the Undead music is cutting out part-way through.
- Rats In a Trap becomes trivially easy once you reach the second day - might need to beef up the final wave.
Chris NS

Re: The Unstoppable Legion - the end is nigh - NOW WITH NEW PLOT TWIST

Post by Chris NS »

And now, I have uploaded version 0.9.4. This one features a new playable scenario "Stranger on the Shore" followed by a narrative scenario "The General's Tale". The two between them give a new plot twist, although one or both of the titles may have given the game away.

As always, I'm uploading to 1.14 for the time being - anyone who wishes to port the new scenario to 1.16 in advance of my porting (probably not before April) is welcome to do it.

CHANGELOG

0.9.1-2 Port from vghetto port project

0.9.2 Re-uploaded to re-set author to me. Small changes in the process:
- Removed disclaimer in introduction about only six scenarios being available as vgehtto ported everything.
- Some minor rebalancing to take into account current AI making some scenarios too hard:
- Kept Rufus in keep for longer as he is easily surrounded otherwise.
- Small increase in player starting gold for More than a Match.
- Increase Wose starting gold so they can hold out better against enemies
- Slightly higher gold bonus when defeating first leader in Rats in a Trap to hold out against main enemies
- Corrected some story dialogue in Rats in a Trap.

0.9.3 More tweaks in advance of completing campsign.
- Reblanced HPs of Dark Cultist line to that higher level always has more HP. As far as I can tell this doesn't break the balance of the game, but I am monitoring this.
- Fixed illusion units so they don't do 0 damage - seems that the port team misunderstood that. As a result, AI for illusions now makes sense. Reduced gold on AI sides in these scenarios to rebalance this.
- Made Rats in a Trap easier - the better AI makes it very difficult to get this without a massacre of your units.
- Misc typo corrections.

0.9.4 Completed chapter 4
- New playable scenario "Stranger on the Shore" (this is meant as an easy scenario to recover from the last killer scenario)
- New narrative scenario "The General's Tale"

To do:
- Still need to enforce the penalty on "Stranger on the Shore" if Nagas are expended to liberally
- Also would like a better solution to avert the scenario of the team 1 versus team 4 confrontation involving one of the nagas.
- Implement a power-up to compensate for the lack of a free unit in The Phantom Guard and The Wrath of the Stone if you went via The Forgotten Front.
- Make it easier for non-dwarf units to move in The Wrath of the Stone

Known issues:

- In The Dwarf and the Lich, the reinforcements triggered if you apporach side 4 acts as a Landmine
- The Demonologist doesn't fight back in Race Against Time. (Also not convinced you can always see materialising demons, will check.)
- In The Parting of Ways and The Elves Redeemed, the units at the beginning of the dialogue are obscured by the unit image.
- The unit portraits amongst the custom units are wildly inconsistent. Ideally they should all be the same size as the current portraits.
- Rats In a Trap becomes trivially easy once you reach the second day - might need to beef up the final wave.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Do I understand correctly that this means there will be a chapter 5 with 4 scenarios?

(Also, as much as I'd like to play it, I will be waiting for the 1.16 version. Sorry.)
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Konrad2 wrote: February 13th, 2022, 8:16 am Do I understand correctly that this means there will be a chapter 5 with 4 scenarios?

(Also, as much as I'd like to play it, I will be waiting for the 1.16 version. Sorry.)
Sort of.

The two scenarios just published are the last bit of Chapter 4. Chapter 5 will have four scenarios, of which three are playable and one is narrative. However, two of them are going to be mega-scenarios bit like The Wrath of the Stone (or anything from Under the Burning Suns). Also, there will be one final narrative scenario as an epilogue. But good guess seeing as I'd not given nearly enough information to work that out.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Meanwhile, let's turn my attention back to this ...
Lord-Knightmare wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 7:27 pm
I am aware that this is outdated but off-hand I'm not sure how to go about updating them (other than using more up to date source images if that was an option).

I'll leave it up to you how you want to contribute units. I could give you the code or you could just give me the units to add myself, or you might have another idea. But thank you very much for the offer.
Does TUL have a git repo? Can commit updates via PRs (pull requests) that way.
No, it doesn't have a git repo (I presume that's one of those thingamyjigs to allow multiple users to edit the same product.)

Since it's just two of us working on completely different areas, it might make sense if you updated the units images in 1.16. The image files themselves should be straight-forward - it might get a bit more complicated if you want to introduce animations. But I'm happy for you to edit the unit files for the animations, and I'll work out how to merge the changes later.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Another question, would you mind if I streamed TUL sometime in the future after it has been ported to 1.16?
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Go ahead. Happy for this to be publicised far and wide.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I am waiting for the 1.16 port as well.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Okay. You win. I can't get wmlint to work (I've had it working before but now it the command prompt does nothing). However, I looked through what wmlint is supposed to change and there doesn't seem to be anything critical between 1.14 and 1.16. So I've just gone ahead and uploaded the 1.14 version to 1.16.

I have done a brief test to check the campaign launches but nothing more. Let me know if the new upload behaves itself - if necessary I can change it back.

Enjoy.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Coutillier (challenging)

Capizalize the difficulty levels pls.

Ftr, the description of the campaign differs from the description of the add-on.

AMLA Viktor
Marksmanship doesn't add +1 damage.

S1
tresspass -> trespass

The Great Druids attack animation look nothing like their Elvish Enchantress counterpart.
Also, the picture displayed in combat dialog for their faerie fire looks like an ice bolt.

I think the Dark Fighter line uses outdated sprites.
Same with the Dark Headhunter line.

S3
It would be far better if the unit could leave the holy water to someone else.
The scenario objectives didn't change when Muff Moran died. Possibly because I killed him when he attacked me during his turn?

S4
And it that -> And is that

S5a
If you win this scenario by defeating all enemy leaders, it shows the story text of the merfolk route for the next scenario. (Not that that's likely to happen.)

S5b
were little use -> were of little use
The first allied dwarf that's recruited pretends to be able to see me and calls upon us for help. Maybe because they don't have shround enabled?

S5c
merman -> merfolk
Merfolk mages and the Great Druid don't count as veterans of magical arts? :D

S6
Please make recruiting a priority for my ally. He basically only recruits every 2nd turn because he runs out to fight every other turn before recruiting.
If I reload a turn of this scenario a loooooooot of the initial trolls and orcs disappear from the map.
'Orcs kill Mal-Margheera'? At this point of the scenario the orcs are allied with the undead.

Prince Sven is so far the only unit that has only the loyal trait. (Well...there is also the traitless Viktor.)

Prince Sven is missing the silver crown.

S7
much less -> far less
satifaction -> satisfaction
One of the Dark Riders appears on 29,8 but it should be 29,7.
Most of the Dark Riders disappear if I reload.

S9
Haathan_Avery -> Haathan Avery

S10
move any dwarf -> move any unit
(After all Captain Josephine is also able to cut the ropes.)

S11
We had enough of our own problems. -> We had enough problems of our own.
Shouldn't the second set of objectives be 'Objective II'?

You have this event where you undo non dwarvish recalls by Sven, but I'm pretty sure there is also some way to just not show units he is not allowed to recall. Check Legend of Wesmere.

S12
The elves don't leave move unless an enemy is in range. Is that how it's supposed to be?

S14a
now up to you -> now it's up to you
lead out of -> leading out of

S16
My units claim to be unable to damage the Dark Champions, but they are damaging them just fine.

S17
what that -> what's that
labarynth -> labyrinth
Not, not -> No, not

Please kill off all the irrelevant sides once the portals close behind you. Them being alive just takes up time.

S18
had gone -> was gone
city would have -> city would be

S19a
yeild -> yield
ans fast -> as fast
At the end the Grand General talks to the Death Knight, but the Orcish Warlord answers. (Almost the last line in the scenario.)

Replays:
Spoiler:
Attachments
UL-A Painful Betrayal-Auto-Save5.gz
lazy elves
(70.66 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
UL-Ancient Friends-Auto-Save2.gz
Dark Riders gone
(44.53 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
UL-The Dwarf and the Lich-Auto-Save3.gz
units gone
(57.63 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

UL-The Wrath of the Stone replay 20220218-075742.gz
(116.54 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
UL-The Elves Redeemed replay 20220218-091449.gz
(95.41 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
UL-Rats in a Trap replay 20220218-101112.gz
(102.39 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
UL-Stranger on the Shore replay 20220218-103105.gz
(77.32 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
So, I noticed that in the latest version, the illusion units in Wrath of the Stone deal damage now,, before that they were all 0-3/ 0-2 etc. Was it intended?
Also, the Dark Cultist lines level 2 seems way more annoying with the HP buff. I regret pointing out. :P

In The Elves Redeemed and Rats in a Trap, I think there are bugs with inconsistencies. I butchered the orcs and nearly decimated the side 4 units in the former, but their dead leader came back anyways, feels a bit...of an oversight.

Also, in Rats in a Trap, the pattern is easilt noticeable and can be exploited.

Anyways, looking forward to the final 3...so excited :shock:
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

The illusion units are supposed to deal damage. For some reason, the 1.14 and 1.16 ports were changed to have illusion units not dealing damage. However, the intention was always that the illusion units behave as real units for all except Eiridith. I still need to properly balance the cave scenario, but this is intended to be one of the toughest in the game.

At the moment, the later scenarios only work if they're played as per the intended story. The idea of both The Parting of Ways and The Elves Redeemed is that you're not supposed to stand a chance of defeating the enemy leaders and instead it's all you can do to hold them off. I do want to revisit this, but I'm focusing on completing the scenarios first.

Having playtested Rats in a Trap, I want to alter the balance settings on this. At the moment, by the time you've seized the keep the dark forces are already on you, but it is possible to play on with only time to recall your major units and keep nearly of them. I'd like to make it more that you've got time to take the keep and all the villages in the town and rally your full forces ... and then they REALLY come for you and the last few turns should be an absolute killer. That's quite a major job for later though.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

The Parting of Ways
This doesn't account at all for me beating them back, does it? It feels weird to have to run after wiping out every enemy on the map.
Dialogue missing because enemy leaders dead.

Rats in a Trap
This one as well, right? D:
Lots of dialogue missing when because I killed most of the enemy leaders. ._.

Code: Select all

speaker=Mauhl-Mergren
                    message = _ "I love this bit. Watching mortals trapped, squirming, begging for mercy."
The speaker should be Mal-Akaalan.

their forces again -> their forces at us again

Dueterus -> Deuterus

Stranger on the Shore
Detuerus -> Deuterus
Teamside
masked_man -> Masked Man
The Masked Man needs an AMLA macro.

fights, the better -> fights, the better.
sigh* -> *sigh*
before the his -> before his

The Generals Tale
have waiting -> have been waiting

I'm done now. Have fun taking care of this and the previous post.
Attachments
UL-Stranger on the Shore replay 20220218-200521.gz
(79.97 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
UL-Rats in a Trap replay 20220218-194831.gz
(127.73 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
UL-Stranger on the Shore replay 20220218-200521.gz
(79.97 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
UL-The Parting of Ways replay 20220218-104755.gz
Defeating them all by not playing whatever
(93.81 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
UL-The Parting of Ways replay 20220217-213636.gz
Just playing whatever
(80.96 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
UL-The Parting of Ways Turn 30.gz
No enemies left, lets flee!
(129.31 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Chris NS

Re: The Unstoppable Legion - the end is nigh - NOW WITH THE BIG PLOT TWIST

Post by Chris NS »

Version 0.9.5 of The Unstoppable Legion is uploaded to both 1.14 and 1.16. Again, I have only playtested on 1.14 which is native to Ubuntu. 1.16 should work, but let me know if it doesn't.

Featuring new scenario "Revenge of the Fallen". Eventually there will be two alternative paths depending on which path you took after The King's Council, but for now all go this route. I plan to reach the end before putting in the alternative paths.

PLUS ... After the scenario is completed - the long-promised earth-shattering plot twist that changes everything you know about the story.

I will be busy for the next few weeks so this is probably going to be your last new scenario for a while. But I will be back to finish this.

To do:
- Still need to enforce the penalty on "Stranger on the Shore" if Nagas are expended to liberally
- Also would like a better solution to avert the scenario of the team 1 versus team 4 confrontation involving one of the nagas.
- Implement a power-up to compensate for the lack of a free unit in The Phantom Guard and The Wrath of the Stone if you went via The Forgotten Front.
- Make it easier for non-dwarf units to move in The Wrath of the Stone
- Intend to reblance Rats in a Trap so you might with larger forces against more enemies.

Known issues:

- Plus various comments in the forum thread that I need to get round to looking at.