The Unstoppable Legion - the end is nigh - NOW WITH THE BIG BIG PLOT TWIST

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Chris NS

The Unstoppable Legion - the end is nigh - NOW WITH THE BIG BIG PLOT TWIST

Post by Chris NS »

Okay folks, you've persuaded me to come out of retirement and try to finish the campaign that so many of you have been crying out for.

I'm currently playing through the campaign to reach the last scenario out of the ones written. I have made the odd tweak where something was obviously wrong and/or a scenario is IMO too hard under current AI rules, but only if the fix was easy. After that, my intention is to focus on getting to the end of the campaign. There are four scenarios to go (six counting one final split), including two mega-scenarios on the scale of the showdown with the Black Emerald.

After that, I will have another look at re-balancing and graphics. However, I no longer have the spare time I used to, so if anybody would like to step forward and commandeer any part of this I will be receptive to offers.

And to repeat what I said on the other thread, I am very grateful for everyone on the vghetto port project for getting me back on board, both those who did the porting work but also everybody who remembered the old version from years ago and wants it back.

Hopefully this will be the thread that finally sees the conclusion of this epic.
Last edited by Chris NS on February 24th, 2022, 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris NS

Re: The Unstoppable Legion - the end is nigh

Post by Chris NS »

Anyway, first thing's first: admins, what's the best way to go about uploading updates as I'm not currently down as author?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

If you're able to contact the person who uploaded it, you can ask them to share the _server.pbl file.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Chris NS wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 3:41 pm Anyway, first thing's first: admins, what's the best way to go about uploading updates as I'm not currently down as author?
As per the instructions of the port project, all project ported add-ons share the same passphrase
Spoiler:
You have to delete the current one and upload your one. So, that's about it really.

As for the TUL, I wish to update the unit graphics and bring them up to date since every custom unit seems outdated.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 4:26 pm
As for the TUL, I wish to update the unit graphics and bring them up to date since every custom unit seems outdated.
You're welcome. I did a combination of units borrowed from other campaigns and the odd Frankensteined unit. I am aware that this is outdated but off-hand I'm not sure how to go about updating them (other than using more up to date source images if that was an option).

I'll leave it up to you how you want to contribute units. I could give you the code or you could just give me the units to add myself, or you might have another idea. But thank you very much for the offer.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

I am aware that this is outdated but off-hand I'm not sure how to go about updating them (other than using more up to date source images if that was an option).

I'll leave it up to you how you want to contribute units. I could give you the code or you could just give me the units to add myself, or you might have another idea. But thank you very much for the offer.
Does TUL have a git repo? Can commit updates via PRs (pull requests) that way.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

I started this again and finally noticed one RIPLIB thing..
the level 0 unit "Dark Cultist" has a 34 HP values...whereas the level 1 advancement Dark Hunter has 21 HP...
Seems a bit weird. Shouldn't the Dark Cultist have an HP value in range with the other level zeroes (~16HP - 22HP)?
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Good spot. I will put this on the do to list for fixes, but that won't be a straightforward one as it has balancing implications throughout the campaign.

I am imminently deploying an update with some minor (and easy) corrections - the next time I do a play-through I will do it to some new HP values and see how it pans out.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Chris NS wrote: February 4th, 2022, 9:01 am Good spot. I will put this on the do to list for fixes, but that won't be a straightforward one as it has balancing implications throughout the campaign.

I am imminently deploying an update with some minor (and easy) corrections - the next time I do a play-through I will do it to some new HP values and see how it pans out.
I have played through most scenarios and here's what I noticed.
1. Dark Invader line needs some stat adjustments. (the level 2 mostly)
3. Dark cultist HP value is set too high/should be below or 18 HP
4. In The Dwarf and the Lich, if one save loads on encountering Mal Magheera (did I spell it right?), one Wraith, a Draug and a banebow mysteriously disappear.
5. In Phantom Guard, phantom/illusions with strong trait actually do damage. :lol:
6. Faerie Fire attack icon is exhibited as a chill wave. Should be the faerie fire one.
UL-An Unlikely Hero replay 20220204-102557.gz
(32.52 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
UL-More than a Match replay 20220204-233225.gz
(28.53 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
UL-A Test of Valour replay 20220204-235032.gz
(40.38 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
UL-The Front Line replay 20220205-004404.gz
(69.36 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
UL-The Dwarf and the Lich replay 20220205-005844.gz
(47.17 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Replays Part 2
UL-Race Against Time replay 20220205-014802.gz
(38.86 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
UL-The Mines of Alsok replay 20220205-020530.gz
(66.58 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
UL-Prejudice and Pride replay 20220205-022642.gz
(65.11 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
UL-A Painful Betrayal replay 20220205-041116.gz
(51.57 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
UL-The Last Stand replay 20220205-043558.gz
(63.53 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Replays Part 3:
UL-Ancient Friends replay 20220205-013454.gz
(40.5 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
UL-The Silent Siege replay 20220205-050847.gz
(49.45 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
UL-The Phantom Guard replay 20220205-052843.gz
(65.28 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
UL-The Wrath of the Stone.gz
(34.84 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
I thought Wrath of the Stone was the final one but I see some more files which means more to play :D

So, I guess finding updated graphics for most of the units is required. In the 1.12 upload of TUL, I noticed Cresian League units replacing Holibar line. EoMa has a Cavalry Archer-line which can be used for the Bow Rider-line. ZeroVirus updated the chaos units (also has a ranged unit line if you're willing to add that in as Dark Gunner-line).
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

What stands between TUL and 1.16?

I mean, this is apparently only on 1.14, even though TUL had been ported as far as 1.16.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Konrad2 wrote: February 5th, 2022, 10:01 pm What stands between TUL and 1.16?

I mean, this is apparently only on 1.14, even though TUL had been ported as far as 1.16.
It's on 1.16 :lol:
ported by vghetto during the project
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: February 5th, 2022, 10:49 pm
Konrad2 wrote: February 5th, 2022, 10:01 pm What stands between TUL and 1.16?

It's on 1.16 :lol:
ported by vghetto during the project
But the latest version of the campaign (version 0.9.2) is only on 1.14.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Ah. yes, that was me, today.

I only found out today that Wesnoth on Ubuntu is still on 1.14 even though 1.16 is the latest release. I did an update today, but it's a very minor update correcting a few bits of text and rebalancing some scenarios that are now too hard under the latest AI.

Anyone who can't wait for this on 1.16 is welcome to port it, but there won't be any new scenarios until the next release.