The Unstoppable Legion - the end is nigh - NOW WITH THE BIG BIG PLOT TWIST

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Chris NS

Re: The Unstoppable Legion - the end is nigh - NOW WITH THE BIG BIG PLOT TWIST

Post by Chris NS »

Version 0.9.7 is uploaded, with the long-awaited new megascenario "The Battle for Suveran", plus a narrative scenario "False Dawn".

There is still a lot of balancing work to do on the new scenario, but it's now at the point where it is possible to play through it.

To do:

- Would like to look further at balancing on Rats in a Trap and Revenge of the fallen. Some bits are too easy, other bit are too hard.
- For some reason, there are some more up to date unit images in unused folders. Can apply them to the game.
- Lots of rebalancing to do in The Battle for Suveran, particularly the latter half.
- Re-evaluate strength of daemons, who are apparently quite powerful for level 2.

Known issues:

- Need to apply similar unit visibility fix to The Parting of Ways similar to The Elves Redeemed.
- The unit portraits amongst the custom units are wildly inconsistent. Ideally they should all be the same size as the current portraits.
- Daemons materialising within Soulless fort in The Battle for Suveran needs a fix.
- Want to give player the choice to defortify units when needed and not be forced when side switches to the players.
SexyPringles

Post by SexyPringles »

The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
C:\Users\olavi\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.16/data/add-ons/The_Unstoppable_Legion/_main.cfg

Please report this to the author or maintainer of this add-on.

Details:

Macro/file '~add-ons/The_Unstoppable_Legion/maps/The_Battle_for_Suveran.map' is missing
at ~add-ons/The_Unstoppable_Legion/_main.cfg:46
included from ~add-ons/The_Unstoppable_Legion/scenarios/24_The_Battle_for_Suveran.cfg:8
included from ~add-ons/The_Unstoppable_Legion/_main.cfg:51
Some of the possible next scenarios are missing, you might not be able to finish the campaign
These are the errors I get after updating the campaign and I can't load any of the scenarios.
Hippity Hoppity, this is my property:Tale of Thunedain
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Oops. I know exactly what I did wrong there.

Update 0.9.7a uploaded. Try that.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Chris NS wrote: July 4th, 2022, 5:45 pm Oops. I know exactly what I did wrong there.

Update 0.9.7a uploaded. Try that.
Unlike 0.9.7a replaces the new cfg file for the huge battle with the old placeholder. ._.
Actually, it seems like 0.9.7a does not contain the map either...

EDIT:
'quick' guard units have 1 mp instead of 0.

EDIT 2:
I went back to Stranger on the Shore, hoping that this would fix my Karak problem...no such luck. He doesn't appear on turn 19 at all. ._.
And no Karak means that I'm locked out of most of the scenario.
Attachments
UL-The Battle for Suveran.gz
(64.93 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
UL-The Battle for Suveran-Auto-Save19.gz
Still no Karak. :(
(321.26 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
UL-Revenge of the Fallen Turn 20.gz
Defeating the leader of side 4 removes the Death Knight I got from side 3.
(161.73 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
UL-The Battle for Suveran-Auto-Save19.gz
No general Karak?
(314.69 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Damn. No idea where these bugs are coming from.

Unfortunately, I'm away from my main computer and won't be able to diagnose this for the next week. I'll try to work out what's going on when I'm back.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Found a typo in "more than a match"
Deuterus says if where he should be saying is. The sentence has if xxxx yyyy if the second was supposed to be a is. This is after the dark riders appear. Oh I recall now: "If your master if ..."
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I know it's been 3 months...but will this be finally finished?
I actually have "Experience the full TUL just once" on my bucket list.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Don't worry, still working on it. I've had a chocka September but I've now been able to turn attention to it again.

I'm currently doing some changes to chapter 1, but after that I intend to turn focus to the final scenario.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

By the way, I have finally observed this bug other people have reported about units disappearing on reload.

The units are present in the save file, so I don't understand why they don't appear. Posted to the WML workshop to see if anyone knows what's going on.

Hope to have next update out soon, which has a heavy focus on making the swarms of Dark Riders more terrifying.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Version 0.9.9 is out. Thanks for your patience.

Changelog:

Major rebalancing of Chapter 1 (scenarios 1-6), primarily themed around the appearance of dark riders. Previously they were just another level 2 unit to kill - now their appearance is intended to be terrifying and deadly.

Also:

- Revised the AI of allies in scenarios 1-3 to use units more prudently. They are defending themselves, not launching suicidal attacks to help Viktor
- Started giving characters portaits. Viktor, Deuterus, Prince Sven, Rufus, Sir Denevan and General Karak have portaits. Many thanks to Gnat's Franken-Dungeon.
- Ancient Friends now has a wider map, as the squeezed battle along ghte edge of the screen didn't make sense.
- Ancient Friends starts with a concerted attack on the Wose, but something the Wose should beat off reasonably easily.
- Introduced a new (non-playing) character: Sjendor, a messenger for the dwarves who keeps Viktor and Prince Sven what's going back home.
- Plus revisions to the narration, to beef up the dtory a bit, just because.

To do:
- Would like to look further at balancing on Rats in a Trap and Revenge of the fallen. Some bits are too easy, other bit are too hard.
- For some reason, there are some more up to date unit images in unused folders. Can apply them to the game.
- Lots of rebalancing to do in The Battle for Suveran, particularly the latter half.
- Re-evaluate strength of daemons, who are apparently quite powerful for level 2.
- Add Sjendor into later scenes
- And, of course, the last scenario! It's coming soon. I promise.

Known issues:

- Need to apply similar unit visibility fix to The Parting of Ways similar to The Elves Redeemed.
- The unit portraits amongst the custom units are wildly inconsistent. Ideally they should all be the same size as the current portraits.
- Daemons materialising within Soulless fort in The Battle for Suveran needs a fix.
- Want to give player the choice to defortify units when needed and not be forced when side switches to the players.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Version 0.9.10 is out. This is a less radical release than the last one, but still has a few updates.

Changelog:

Minor tidying/rebalacing of Chapter 2 (scenarios 8-13), including:

- Fixing co-ordinated in narrative scenario The Calm Before The Storm (broken when base map Ancient Friends was expanded in previous update).
- Also including Sjendor in that scenario.
- Daemons and Winged Daemons now have stats in line with original Extended Era stats, following ffedback that these units were overpowered for level 2.
- Race Against Time and The Mines of Alsok rebalanced against new Daemon stats. More Daemons now placed in the way of the goals at the end.
- Golran now has a portrait. The lack of a portrait was getting on my nerves TBH.
- Faerie Spirits are now labelled as ethereal. Same effect as undead, but they weren't really undead units, were they?

To do:

Known issues:

Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

And another update. Version 0.9.11. Smaller update than last time, concentrating on Chapter 3.

Minor tidying/rebalacing of Chapter 3 (scenarios 8-13), including:

- Enemy leader in The Silent Siege is now fortified. Previously, he was moving out of the fort and attacking and getting killed too easily.
- Also fixed bug in The Silent Siege that caused the dwarves to start in the wrong place if coming from the Orc scenario.
- Sjendel now appears in The Phantom Guard to give an update on the siege of Karasov.
- Fake Zharagorn now has a portrait.
- A hole is blown in the ground when the Black Emerarld is destroyed, to be consistent with the destruction of the other two artefacts later.
- Three extra faerie spirits are recruited at the start of The Last Stand (actually chapter 2, but it was getting on my nerves).

To do:

Known issues:

- Some enemy units are spawning into walls.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S3
My 'allied' reinforcements at the end of the scenario belong to the enemy side 5. It's probably just a typo, and they should belong to side 6.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Konrad2 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 5:21 pm S3
My 'allied' reinforcements at the end of the scenario belong to the enemy side 5. It's probably just a typo, and they should belong to side 6.
You are absolutely correct. The reason is that the dummy allied side used to be 5, before I re-designated this for the dark riders' own side, and I forgot to update this.

That was a very pedantic point of no consequence. I like that, keep it up. I will correct this in the next update.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S5 Tunnels
certain that fate -> certain that the fate

Once a dwarf is recruited, they immediatly spot me. Across the map. Before I've found the Wounded Dwarf.

S5 Battlefield
The guards arround ally side 7 have been placed 1 hex too far to the north.

Give as a -> Give us a

S6
Some of the 'placed' undead enemy units disappear if you reload a turn.
UL-The Dwarf and the Lich-Auto-Save13.gz
(77.03 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Faerie Fire of Great Druid (Mounted) has the icon of an ice attack.

S6 coast vs tunnel vs battlefield
Both the coast route and the frontline route make it possible to win by turn 13, whereas the tunnel route has me playing until turn 19/20. I don't quite understand why tbh. (I do think that the coast route needs a bigger reward. All the xp I got in the coast S5 is of course gone the next scenario. At first I thought that trivializing S6 is the reward, but I managed to do that with the frontline S5 too.
Spoiler:

S7
but one he -> but once he

The Calm before the Storm (S8)
the price The -> the price. The

S9
The demons do not move unless there is an enemy in range. Is that intentional?

S10
drawves -> dwarves

S11
It's weakened -> It's a weakened

The Phantom Guard
Whose dares -> Who dares
Blak -> Black

When Sjendel appears, he is on side 2 (enemy side), instead of side 1 (my side).

The Wrath of the Stone
Spoiler:

The Parting of Ways
yeild -> yield
Spoiler:
ans fast -> as fast
catch them up -> catch up to them

After I've won, the Grand General first orders the Orcs, and then has orders for the Undead. When adressing the Undead, you make the Orc leader answer. That's probably a mix up. (line 1379)

I'm proud of what I've achieved. What my allies have achieved.
UL-The Parting of Ways-Auto-Save30.gz
(146.65 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
UL-The Parting of Ways Turn 30.gz
(144.88 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
UL-The Parting of Ways replay 20221211-193806.gz
(104.68 KiB) Downloaded 42 times

Rats in a Trap
Reinforcements will arrive ai -> Reinforcements will arrive at
(Yes, that's a comment)
UL-Rats in a Trap replay 20221212-095451.gz
(136.92 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
This needs balancing. I had ~10 turns without any enemies on the map.

Stranger on the Shore
Detuerus -> Deuterus
give him plan -> give him a plan

The General's Tale
Leuitenants who's -> Lieutenants who

Revenge of the Fallen
was different challenge -> was a different challenge
Suerly -> Surely
onec -> once
he proven -> he has proven
that were were -> that we were
thank you now -> thanks to you
result of our army -> rest of our army

Why does my sword mastery AMLA not affect the sword of juma?

The Battle for Suveran
Karak can recall my Naga. Is that intentional? (According to the code, it's not.)
Why does it keep scrolling to 1,1 when it's side 8 turn?
Spoiler:
disappated -> dissipated
Spoiler:

False Dawn
chaostic -> chaotic
extoertionate -> extortionate