The Unstoppable Legion - the end is nigh - NOW WITH THE BIG BIG PLOT TWIST

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: The Unstoppable Legion - the end is nigh - NOW WITH THE BIG BIG PLOT TWIST

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

May I have a savefile to test? I checked my saves directory/folder and I cannot find the TUL saves. I dont know where they went. :(
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Go on then. This is the one I've used for playtesting.
Attachments
UL-The Battle for Suveran.gz
(47.05 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

I loaded the scenario file into the scenarios/
added the save file to saves

and then...
I got: "missing map file"

:(
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Doh. Would help if I attached the map file. Edited the post with the scenario, also attaching here.
Attachments
The_Battle_for_Suveran.map
(24.16 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

For anyone playing through this, I'm going to list any known issues I'm coming across that break the scenario and how to fix them.

Anyone who is playing the game and wants to edit the save file to avert returning to the beginning - good luck.

1) Lines 3192 and 3321. That should read "id=Deuterus". Deuterus is supposed to be provoking the Dark Riders etc. to go for him, but instead they're going for poor old General Karak who wouldn't stand chance.

Update: Okay, after objective 2 it starts getting flaky, and after objective 4 it's too bug-ridden to be playable. Time for another round of updates and re-balancing, and I'll get something revised back to you.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Okay, let's try again. This is supposed to fix the bugs I observed as well as rebalance some bits that didn't feel right.

Again, not tested yet. It will take some time to play through to the later parts of this mega-scenario. Should this work, it will be uploaded proper, along with the next narrative scenario ...
Spoiler:
Attachments
24_The_Battle_for_Suveran.zip
(34.7 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

I found my save in my documents folder. No clue how it got there so continued from Revenge of the Fallen
Revenge of the Fallen
  • It was okay, but it was very frustrating and annoying to be given control of 100+ units
As for The battle of Suveran, I dont think it can be won. Look at my save. I tried my best. dwarves have 4-5 MP and dark slayers have 3x as much. So couldn't even shield that weak council member and lost. The demon wave took out a number of my defenders before defecting Zharagorn but yeah...didn't really leave me much to defend the final wave with.
Attachments
UL-Revenge of the Fallen replay 20220624-094558.gz
(118.15 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
UL-The Battle for Suveran Turn 38.gz
(401.33 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Follow up..the scenario bugged out when I killed the orc leader.... :(
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Okay, let's start with the crucial question: did you play with the first attachment or the second? Also, which level? (I'm testing on medium - usually those who play on hard are fine with the extra difficulty but maybe this is too much.)

The key to surviving the dark riders/slayers is supposed to be that when Deuterus provokes Zharagorn, the goto tags on all of these units is reset to go to him. However, you need to leave a clear path to Deuterus, otherwise, they'll fight through whatever's in the way. Even so, I did take down the number of dark riders etc in the second version as it was getting too much.

First I've heard of an outright bug when killing the orc leader though. What happened there?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Okay, let's start with the crucial question: did you play with the first attachment or the second? Also, which level? (I'm testing on medium - usually those who play on hard are fine with the extra difficulty but maybe this is too much.)
I used the second one, and I played on Medium. Should be stated on the save file.
However, you need to leave a clear path to Deuterus, otherwise, they'll fight through whatever's in the way. Even so, I did take down the number of dark riders etc in the second version as it was getting too much.
When they got provoked, they were already inside the interior of Suveran, that is near the King and his fragile council members. For three of the Dark Slayers, they had to go through the Mage council member to get to Deuterus, so that happened. I guess I made a mistake of recalling 3 Naga Warriors at the start...thinking they would be useful but it was a mistake.
First I've heard of an outright bug when killing the orc leader though. What happened there?
I suppose it's because of:

Code: Select all

[kill]
    speaker=
[/kill]
I don't think speaker= attribute is recognised by the [kill][/kill] and this translates to just [kill][/kill], which is "Kill every single unit on the Map". Thus, instant defeat.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Hmm ... when the Dark Slayers are provoked, the head northwards and just attack whoever's next to them at the end of their turn. I guess if you are unlucky you could end up with several ending on the wrong spot at the wrong moment.

I'll put this on my To Do list for balancing.

The code is a stranger thing though. I can't find that in my WML. Which line did you see that on?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Chris NS wrote: June 25th, 2022, 10:31 am The code is a stranger thing though. I can't find that in my WML. Which line did you see that on?
He is probably refering to this:

Code: Select all

[kill]
	   speaker=Gurg-Varg-Hallask
[/kill]
Line 3817
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Hmm, funny, that worked for me, even if it wasn't technically correct.

Anyway, I've applied that fix.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

my 2000th forum post!
The Battle for Suveran
Feedback
  • Design of Scenario was quite nice. Epic-scale indeed. Does a hundred-fold better than what NR tried to do. :lol:
  • Bug: Skeleton Rider and Bone Knight units have 0% defence and {UNREACHABLE} in mountains, but they spawn there are stuck.
  • Demon level 2 has 66 HP. This is way too high. On the level 3 to level 4 pool.
  • The third point made the Kill the Cadaver phase very unpleasant and frustrating. I think I debugged out of frustration.
  • Dark Slayer spam was bearable.
  • Giving me loyal units from side 2 didn't really work since when they switched sides to me, they were at death's door, far away from my army and unable to move away (ZoC-locked)
  • After General Karak moves to the capital centre, the King stopped recruiting entirely. Is this a bug?
  • Those demon ninja spawns were the absolute pain.
Anyways, looking forward to False Dawn
Attachments
UL-The Battle for Suveran Turn 70.gz
(540.29 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
UL-The Battle for Suveran replay 20220628-055812.gz
(483.66 KiB) Downloaded 45 times