Variable substitution question

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Variable substitution question

Post by beetlenaut »

If you are going to use this effect, you should note that "toxicate" and "intoxicated" do not mean anything like "poisoned". Intoxicated is a synonym to "drunk". Toxicate is something your liver does, and I assume it is only used by doctors; I'm a native speaker and I've never heard of it, and Chrome's dictionary doesn't recognize it as a real word either.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: Variable substitution question

Post by Atreides »

Oh yeah, the name. In the back of my mind I'd already considered fixing the bad english. My thoughts are that the writer was probably thinking along the lines of poison = toxin. The correct form would then be toxified. Intoxicated of course is utterly misleading (except in the extreme case of alcohol "poisoning") and was going to be altered. Of course one could have some fun with it and modify the ability to not only be a plain poison but an actual case of alcohol poisoning which would entail such things as random movement, maluses to CTH, Defense, etc. The name intoxicated though would not suit that either.

With regard to the lua fragment, I'd actually been forced to modify the status icon as it was giving an error. It was my mistake to use the wrong size since I didn't know exactly what it was. I merely looked for a graphic that sounded right. Now I know why it looks so awful! :)

Anyways, I've got plenty of food for thought as to what I might do with this now. Thanks!