vghetto port project

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vghetto

Re: vghetto port project

Post by vghetto »

Argesilao2 wrote: January 20th, 2022, 7:42 am But, but now that I think about it, I can use the short description present in the main.cfg file :hmm:
Ok.

I started working on Dungeon_Creeper_the_Lich (Cugel the Web Phoenix)
This mod looks so familiar. It might already exist under a different name.

Edit: It seems to be a fork of Dungeons of Wesnoth by Heindal.
I'm moving on to Missing_Scepter (TofuOgre)
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

Before starting to work on Red Winter, I noticed that the author, Sire, is still active in the forum; so I sent him a PM asking if he was okay with us updating his campaign.

In his reply he pointed out to me that the campaign is incomplete and that some scenarios are work in progress; he also warned me that he is working on another version of the same campaign.

For the rest, he is not against someone updating the campaign, and he is also not against someone completing it. In any case, the version he is working on, Red Winter Reborn, would be very different from the original one.

Now, I can try to port the campaign to BfW 1.16, but for sure I can't complete it, also because the desire to work on some of my campaigns is finally returning.
By the way, from what I've seen so far of the campaign it's a real pity it's incomplete, but I wouldn't have a clue how to complete it.

I update it or we drop it?
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Argesilao2 wrote: January 21st, 2022, 10:07 pm I update it or we drop it?
I would drop.

The alternative is to port it, but then delete it once Red Winter Reborn comes out.
I leave the decision up to you. I would drop it myself.

Edit: Dropped Missing_Scepter. it's rubbish.
Moving on to Revenge_of_the_Rogue (zeth)

Edit2: hmm, another boring one with a series of defeat leader scenarios. It's clear we're scrapping the bottom of the barrel now.
I'm concluding this project, I don't have plans to port any of the remaining ones.
I finished porting Missing_Scepter but I won't be uploading it. If that campaign interests you, I could PM you what I have.
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

I dropped the Red Winter update.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Argesilao2 wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 7:48 am I dropped the Red Winter update.
Thank you for your contributions in making this project work! 8 campaigns ported if I can count correctly. That's a lot, and I really appreciate that.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

vghetto wrote: January 21st, 2022, 10:56 pm Edit: Dropped Missing_Scepter. it's rubbish.
That one is ... not actually that bad. It starts pretty slow, but it eventually gets better and Warlock Homz grows on you after a while. [1]

I can't really recommend spending a lot of time working on it, but if you've already ported it, it might be worthwhile to upload the thing...

[1] That might be the nostalgia talking after playing it a decade ago.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I'm concluding this project, I don't have plans to port any of the remaining ones.
Nice. We got a lot of UMC on the latest stable now. It was a good activity.

Now, to keep the ports a bit bug free. I see Forgotten Kingdoms came with a lot of bugs which escaped while I ported it. Need to see what's it about.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

gnombat wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 1:17 pm
vghetto wrote: January 21st, 2022, 10:56 pm Edit: Dropped Missing_Scepter. it's rubbish.
That one is ... not actually that bad. It starts pretty slow, but it eventually gets better and Warlock Homz grows on you after a while. [1]

I can't really recommend spending a lot of time working on it, but if you've already ported it, it might be worthwhile to upload the thing...

[1] That might be the nostalgia talking after playing it a decade ago.
Ok, I uploaded it to 1.14 and 1.16.
I did complete all of the porting steps for both version, but haven't tested it beyond the fourth scenario on 1.14.
Please, don't hesitate to report any bugs found.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 1:36 pm I see Forgotten Kingdoms came with a lot of bugs which escaped while I ported it. Need to see what's it about.
Please do. Thank you.
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

vghetto wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 12:08 pm Thank you for your contributions in making this project work! 8 campaigns ported if I can count correctly. That's a lot, and I really appreciate that.
Thanks to you for activating the port project; it would have been a shame to miss several campaigns interesting for various reasons. ;)
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Hello everybody. Long time no see.
Wow. I had no idea that my campaign I last worked on seven years ago is still remembered. I truly appreciate it.
Thank you very much for porting the campaign. I never got round to it years ago and that was the thing that stood in the way of me restarting this, but I've played it again today and it's so good to do this for old time's sake.

I do have the remainder of the story planned in my head. There are five playable scenarios to go. I plan to make another push to get this finished, if I prioritise getting it finished over bug fixing. However, should someone think they can do this faster than me, I'm quite happy to let someone in on the secret of how this ends.

Thanks again for doing this. It means a lot.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Chris NS wrote: January 29th, 2022, 11:58 pm
I do have the remainder of the story planned in my head. There are five playable scenarios to go. I plan to make another push to get this finished,
Hmm, perhaps this project wasn't such a bad idea after all.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Chris NS wrote: January 29th, 2022, 11:58 pm Hello everybody. Long time no see.
Wow. I had no idea that my campaign I last worked on seven years ago is still remembered. I truly appreciate it.
Thank you very much for porting the campaign. I never got round to it years ago and that was the thing that stood in the way of me restarting this, but I've played it again today and it's so good to do this for old time's sake.

I do have the remainder of the story planned in my head. There are five playable scenarios to go. I plan to make another push to get this finished, if I prioritise getting it finished over bug fixing. However, should someone think they can do this faster than me, I'm quite happy to let someone in on the secret of how this ends.

Thanks again for doing this. It means a lot.
Oh, and I forgot to mention, since most of you probably have no idea what I'm on about. My campaign is the Unstoppable Legion.

Enjoying rediscovering this on play-though. Just two scenarios to go before the "Noooooooooooooooooooo" moment.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I have waited ten long years...I need to know how it ends...
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

You've even got me intrigued and I suck majorly (1) at playing campaigns. The title Unstoppable Legion always did catch my eye...

(1) I've actually ported 5 campaigns and I can't even win them at normal...
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

vghetto wrote: January 12th, 2022, 8:46 am Roar of the Woses uploaded to 1.14 and 1.16.
I got lazy, I didn't change the engine=fai to engine=lua. It worked fine as is on 1.14. Please, let me know if it doesn't work on 1.16.
I did have to change the map generation for one of the scenarios from scenario_generation=cave to map_generation=lua. Hopefully I did that part right.
I'm now done with Roar of the Woses.
viewtopic.php?p=671260#p671260