vghetto port project

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: vghetto port project

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Port to 1.16 but upload to the testing add-on server
Wait for feedback with someone playing through the full campaign
I do not like posting "untested" add-ons either to a stable server, but I do not think the playerbase is aware of a test add-on server, and let alone know how to access one. Maybe the programmer-players (players who have a CS background, or the UMC authors) can, but not purely-players.

As for my porting, I did get to work, but I think it needs some bit more polish, so it's causing delays.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 4th, 2021, 1:49 pm
Port to 1.16 but upload to the testing add-on server
Wait for feedback with someone playing through the full campaign
I do not like posting "untested" add-ons either to a stable server, but I do not think the playerbase is aware of a test add-on server, and let alone know how to access one. Maybe the programmer-players (players who have a CS background, or the UMC authors) can, but not purely-players.
I agree - if you uploaded an add-on to a non-standard add-on server you probably wouldn't get much feedback. I don't think very many users would actually go through the process of modifying port numbers, etc. to connect to a different add-on server (or would even know that it exists).

A simpler low-tech solution might be to upload to the regular 1.16 add-on server, but add some hints to the user that the add-on might have bugs:
  1. Mention in the add-on description that the add-on has recently been ported from Wesnoth 1.14 with minimal testing, so there may be bugs (please report any issues to the forum ... etc.)
  2. Put the word "beta" somewhere in the version number
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

octalot wrote: December 4th, 2021, 12:48 pm I don't want to discourage porting, but I also feel things should only be uploaded to the stable add-ons server if they've already been tested. I offer to write a Wiki page with instructions about how to make 1.16 connect to various add-ons servers.
Oh that would be great. I had no clue that there were alternate addon servers.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Sometimes the only way to get feedback is to leave a little bug here or there. :)

Thank you guys for that input.
There were some valid points. I disagree about others.
The fact that it's the add-ons server for the stable version of wesnoth shouldn't imply anything about the state of the UMCs themselves. It simply does not follow.

Now having said that, when I upload the mods to 1.16, I'm fairly confident of these things:
It's playable.
There are no insta-defeats.
You shouldn't get wml/lua error in-game in the top left corner.

Am I sure about that? No, a surprise might prop up #6311. But overall, those meet the main goals set for this project which I have stated in an earlier post.

The reason why I disclose if I haven't tested them is because I'm worried the AI might behave differently in 1.16 and go against of what the UMC intended.
That is it.

Waiting for feedback is sometimes not feasible. You also need to take into account the gameplay quality of the mods in this project. Some of them suck. period. Others were written by kids. There's one in particular that I'm not expecting to get any feedback other to say that it sucks as a game and I suck too for porting it.

I need to reiterate a point which I think is important.

I am not not not the maintainer of the mods in this project. Think of it as an adoption service.
All I'm trying to do is give a solid base for someone else to take over and work from. If they choose to do so.
So getting feedback with respect to gameplay difficulty, map changes, etc. Are very likely to fall on deaf ears.
I'm only interested in runtime error feedback type. I don't expect to get many. In that case when would I upload?

Did I do mistakes with what I have ported so far? Sure, specifically with overlays and ellipses, and I'll fix those eventually.

I have 64 mods yet to port and I've only finished 8.On 1.14, some of my changes require me to run an entire campaign twice. I don't have time to do it all over again for 1.16. It's unfortunate. But that is the case.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Actually it's more of a fostering than adoption. Pets are sometimes cared for by temporary owners before they move on to their "forever homes". : ) Meow.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

@Atreides You're right.

Two more finished:
A_Simple_Campaign (a scenario really)
Aldur_The_Great

Edit: I started working on Wesband. WTF!
@Lord-Knightmare what are trying to do to me? :lol:
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

vghetto wrote: December 4th, 2021, 7:27 am Brave_Wings Ported and uploaded to 1.14 and 1.16.
Once again, I didn't test it on 1.16. I really need to stop doing that :|
Hi

I just finished the campaign Brave Wings, played in BfW 1.16.1, normal difficult.

The standing animation of the newtype (sorry Amuro :lol: ) drakes don't work; the [standing_animation] tags in the [unit_type] should be replaced by the macro DRAKE_STANDING_ANIMATION; I tested it and works :eng:

In the scenarios 05-air battle and 14-Legend of a Dragon, in the [endlevel] tag for victory, there is linger_mode=no; In any case, and in my opinion, it's better if linger_mode=yes, by the way it's the default mode.

About the balancing; generally I think it's quite good even if perhaps just a little too easy, but in the last scenarios the human player start with an huge amount of gold;
For example, in the scenario 10-Thunderthrow I started with 640 gp, with an allied with other 270 gp and I face two enemies side with 230+220=450 gp; looking at the scenario's code I think the problem is in the gold carried from the previous scenario, where there are 35 villages, and a time limit of 52 turns; I finished in 35 turns, and this means I'm richier than Scrooge McDuck :shock:
A cascade effect on subsequent scenarios follows, because I finished those scenario rather quickly thanks to my overpower.
I would suggest decreasing the percentage of gold that goes from scenario 9-Bandits Connections to scenario 10-Thunderthrow;
I cannot say anything about the balancing of the subsequent scenarios because I do not know how much the cascade effect already described has affected. :hmm:

Thank you for your work.

P.S. The campaign, drawbacks of balancing aside, it's quite interesting; it is really a pity that it is no longer maintained.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Finally got it to load without a lua error!!
This one will take some time to finish :/
Screenshot from 2021-12-06 00-40-05.png

@Argesilao2 thank you for the feedback! I hope someone decides to maintain it since it is fully functional with only minor adjustments needed.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Aldur_The_Great really needs some gold/turns rules. One could just end turn over and over and get rich.

Also, the link to campaign thread is incorrect.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Ported Struggle for Freedom to 1.16. All scenarios should work. I will be doing a follow-patch with updated graphics and some unit type changes.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

@ white_haired_uncle Thank you for the feedback.
I couldn't find the campaign thread for it. What I linked was the closest thing I could find by that author.

@Lord-Knightmare Awesome! Do you want to try something else from the list?

Does anyone have the raw wml output of the 1.10 add-ons server by any chance??

Status update:
Wesband porting is going well. It's the testing phase that I'm not sure how to carry out or how it might pan out. OOS problems?
When I finish it, I won't be uploading it with the shared public password. That doesn't mean I'll be the maintainer, but this one needs someone well versed with coding. So whoever decides to adopt it needs to PM me for the password. They would also need a body of work that shows they are competent enough to handle it.
I might do a github repo for it as well. The port to 1.14 might be done within this week. I'm dreading the 1.16 port. So many lua stuff to fix :augh:
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

It's all right if I'll try to port to 1.16 Fate of a Princess?

If mich worked on it, then that campaign sure deserves to be updated, but I don't want to intrude on someone else's work. :hmm:
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Argesilao2 wrote: December 6th, 2021, 7:26 pm It's all right if I'll try to port to 1.16 Fate of a Princess?

If mich worked on it, then that campaign sure deserves to be updated, but I don't want to intrude on someone else's work. :hmm:
Another one of the authors said he was working on it about 4 months ago:
Simons Mith wrote: July 20th, 2021, 12:33 pm Well, I'm [perhaps briefly] back on the Wesnoth forums after a long hiatus, and while I'm here I was planning to correct any typos and bad English that had accumulated since I last touched this project, and update it to work on the latest Wesnoth version.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

It's alright if you to try to port any of them. I need all the help that I could get.

Alariels_Journey and Amaranthine_Stone still need porting to 1.16 if you're interested.

Alariels_Journey is a true gem. It is Genesis level good. It deserves to be on 1.16.
Let me know if those two interest you and I'll tell you where I screwed up and other things require fixing.

I wasn't aware someone else was doing Fate of a Princess, thanks for the heads up. I'll delay that to the very end in that case. Unless you decide to go ahead and do it anyway.

We still haven't heard anything from whitewolf :/ Still in limbo on those.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

@Lord-Knightmare Awesome! Do you want to try something else from the list?
I am interested in reviving an old project of mine from the 1.10 days. Start of the War. Should be a fast port this time.