vghetto port project

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

egallager

Re: vghetto port project

Post by egallager »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: November 30th, 2021, 12:11 pm
egallager wrote: November 30th, 2021, 8:20 am
Lord-Knightmare wrote: November 29th, 2021, 10:35 pm Hmm, I ran wmllint on Struggle for Freedom but that didn't really do much :v

I have to do most of it by hand. Now, that I have started checking it, I have realised that it may need more work on the internal side as there's mountains of deprecated code inside it. So, the porting might take a while longer.
Please open bugs against wmllint for the things that it wasn't able to handle that you're having to do by hand!
Hmm, can you confirm two things? Like I have to do {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR} and {SPECIAL_NOTES} stuff by hand. Has it always been like that? I am a bit rusty. If so, I will open a FR for wmllint improvement.
Yeah I remember having to remove {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR} by hand; {SPECIAL_NOTES} I might've also had to do by hand, but it might've also gotten fixed at some point? You might want to compare different versions of wmllint to verify that second one...
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

My editor (Kate) will mass replace magenta although 1.14 stuff has so many that it ummmm.. chokes and hangs. Heh. Doing them in batches. Special notes are a nightmare OTOH. : - (
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Atreides wrote: November 30th, 2021, 10:10 pm My editor (Kate) will mass replace magenta although 1.14 stuff has so many that it ummmm.. chokes and hangs. Heh. Doing them in batches. Special notes are a nightmare OTOH. : - (
You can use sed to do those...

To delete magenta line

Code: Select all

sed -i '/{MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR}/d' units/*.cfg
To remove {SPECIAL_NOTES} and the rest of the line

Code: Select all

sed -i 's/\+{SPECIAL_NOTES.*$//g' units/*.cfg
Status update:
I uploaded Prinzessin_Nilwyn to 1.14 and 1.16.
I started working on NX-RPG. I really stepped into that one :lol:
I've decided not to do a 1.16 port of it, I'll leave it for the author.
I'll do the 1.14 version, but I'm doing a straight port from the 1.12 add-ons version, not the latest github version.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I started working on NX-RPG. I really stepped into that one :lol:
I've decided not to do a 1.16 port of it, I'll leave it for the author.
Ouch, the add-on died so fast. Not even abandoned, just died.

Amaranthine_Stone or Brave_Wings then?
One thing I liked about Brave Wings was it being a really good drakes campaign plus some extras.

Also, yeah. Struggle for Freedom will probably end with me porting it while re-writing most of its code to make it update to date as it's broken in several scenarios.

Lastly, thank you for starting the porting projects and giving the veteran umc authors some motivation to port and update some lost add-ons.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 1st, 2021, 12:02 pm Ouch, the add-on died so fast. Not even abandoned, just died.
That's a shame because it looks good. I'm almost done with NX-RPG, it'll be up in a day or two.
Did giving an item to another unit work on 1.12? Anyone remembers?
Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 1st, 2021, 12:02 pm Amaranthine_Stone or Brave_Wings then?
One thing I liked about Brave Wings was it being a really good drakes campaign plus some extras.
I'll do those after NX. Thank you.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

NX-RPG (1.12) ported and uploaded to 1.14.

I'll do Amaranthine_Stone next followed by Brave_Wings.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

vghetto wrote: November 28th, 2021, 11:35 pm
Elvish_Hunter wrote: November 28th, 2021, 10:47 pm Did you make any changes to the campaign, or it's just a compatibility update?
No, Children of dragons didn't require much work, wmllint took care of FLAG_VARIANT6, ABILITY_LEADERSHIP...
I removed MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR and replaced a couple of "true" with "yes" in terrain/terrain.cfg.
I added CAMPAIGN_DIFFICULTY instead of difficult_description. and for the moveto in scenario 9 I moved the ranged x,y from the filter into the sub filter_location.
That was it.
I still haven't tested it for runtime wml/lua errors.
I see. Can you please send me the updated campaign as a forum PM attachment? I'm going to play it, check if there are any runtime errors and add you to the credits :)
Lord-Knightmare wrote: November 29th, 2021, 10:35 pm Hmm, I ran wmllint on Struggle for Freedom but that didn't really do much :v

I have to do most of it by hand. Now, that I have started checking it, I have realised that it may need more work on the internal side as there's mountains of deprecated code inside it. So, the porting might take a while longer.
You know, I just remembered that at some point I tried to update SfF for 1.14, but there was a scenario so broken that I paused the project and then forgot about it :oops: (quite ironically, I think it was the one called Realm of Knightmare :lol: ). If you want, I can have a look and see if there's something I can send you.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: November 30th, 2021, 12:11 pm Hmm, can you confirm two things? Like I have to do {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR} and {SPECIAL_NOTES} stuff by hand. Has it always been like that? I am a bit rusty. If so, I will open a FR for wmllint improvement.
Missing macros are what wmlscope --unresolved is for, and it should report {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR}. As for the special notes, the abilities-notes check was removed because it doesn't serve any purpose any longer, with the new special notes system (notes embedded directly into the ability); given how heavy this change was, a completely automated change isn't possible. However, I can have wmllint print a warning whenever a {SPECIAL_NOTES} call is found: would that be enough?
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
egallager

Post by egallager »

Elvish_Hunter wrote: December 1st, 2021, 10:01 pm
Lord-Knightmare wrote: November 30th, 2021, 12:11 pm Hmm, can you confirm two things? Like I have to do {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR} and {SPECIAL_NOTES} stuff by hand. Has it always been like that? I am a bit rusty. If so, I will open a FR for wmllint improvement.
Missing macros are what wmlscope --unresolved is for, and it should report {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR}.
wmlscope can report it, but it doesn't do any autoupdating of files for us, so it'd still be nice if wmllint could still remove it for us anyways.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

You know, I just remembered that at some point I tried to update SfF for 1.14, but there was a scenario so broken that I paused the project and then forgot about it :oops: (quite ironically, I think it was the one called Realm of Knightmare :lol: ). If you want, I can have a look and see if there's something I can send you.
Ironic. I got most of the things patched, but it's buggy in some places. Would be patching those as well.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Amaranthine_Stone + music ported and uploaded to 1.14.
Coming up is Brave_Wings.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

egallager wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 5:25 am wmlscope can report it, but it doesn't do any autoupdating of files for us, so it'd still be nice if wmllint could still remove it for us anyways.
As you wish :) I just pushed this improvement to master (912625b) and 1.16 (35676b0).
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
egallager

Post by egallager »

Elvish_Hunter wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 10:56 am
egallager wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 5:25 am wmlscope can report it, but it doesn't do any autoupdating of files for us, so it'd still be nice if wmllint could still remove it for us anyways.
As you wish :) I just pushed this improvement to master (912625b) and 1.16 (35676b0).
Thanks!
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Elvish_Hunter wrote: December 1st, 2021, 10:01 pm I see. Can you please send me the updated campaign as a forum PM attachment? I'm going to play it, check if there are any runtime errors and add you to the credits :)
Sorry for the delay. I made another run at the port and changed more stuff.
I still haven't ran the damn thing :lol: Hopefully I didn't screw it up.
I'll send you the diff patch in a PM.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Brave_Wings Ported and uploaded to 1.14 and 1.16.
Once again, I didn't test it on 1.16. I really need to stop doing that :|

Anything specific on what to do next?

Edit:
Dwarven_Fortress ported to 1.14 and 1.16. It was a single scenario.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

vghetto wrote: December 4th, 2021, 7:27 am Once again, I didn't test it on 1.16. I really need to stop doing that :|
(While I have a developer-colored name, this is only a personal opinion.)

I'm wondering if a better workflow would be:
  • Port to 1.16 but upload to the testing add-on server
  • Wait for feedback with someone playing through the full campaign
  • Upload to 1.16
I don't want to discourage porting, but I also feel things should only be uploaded to the stable add-ons server if they've already been tested. I offer to write a Wiki page with instructions about how to make 1.16 connect to various add-ons servers.