vghetto port project

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gnombat

Re: vghetto port project

Post by gnombat »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: December 28th, 2021, 7:06 pm What's the point of this? The BOM exists for a reason, and the add-on should run equally well with or without it.
The BOM in UTF-8 is usually considered harmful.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I'm not going to comment on that opinion, but there are good reasons to use it, especially if you're working on Windows.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

I think the reason the BOM was included is because wmllint currently complains about it. Me, I'm an ancient DOS user, I barely know what the BOM is LOL. Or UTF... 8- D
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

And from what Elvish_Hunter said on GitHub, it seems wmllint complains about it because Wesnoth complains about it, so I think the right answer is to just… not.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Thank you for the feedback! much appreciated.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: December 28th, 2021, 7:06 pm What's the point of this? The BOM exists for a reason, and the add-on should run equally well with or without it.
Because they crash wmllint/wmlindent. Run the tools on Ghostly Calls or the original Merry Christmas (or the other one by the same author) or Zombies Introduction. They will crash.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: December 28th, 2021, 7:06 pm This is wrong!!! Under no circumstances should you be running wmllint-1.4 on an add-on written for Wesnoth 1.12 – it's only intended for add-ons written for Wesnoth 1.2 (ie, 10 versions earlier).
No, it's doing some file paths replacements that the more modern version does not. Specifically in changing the names of older soundtracks.
There are some changes that both miss like wolf-hit.wav.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: December 28th, 2021, 7:06 pm The [target] syntax is supposed to still be valid indefinitely, although there may have been a bug in 1.14 (fixed in 1.16) that prevented it from working? That aside, there's also three other tags that would need a similar treatment… if I recall correctly, [target_location], protect_unit], and [protect_location].
Yeah, not a big deal.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: December 28th, 2021, 7:06 pm This seems pointless, since the WML parser treats true/yes and false/no as synonyms. In fact, in the GUI2 WML, true and false are consistently used instead of yes and no (I have no idea why this is, only that it is the case).
No, it's not pointless. I first became aware of the true/false problem when I worked on Cities of the Frontiers way back then.
The [if] variable conditionals were not working right because of it.
This is the rule of thumb that I follow now. Use yes/no in WML and true/false in Lua. That makes the code less error prone.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: December 28th, 2021, 7:06 pm I don't really understand what this even means…?
This has to do with when a file gets included implicitly in _main.cfg like so {./utils/} and then again in the scenario {./utils/death.cfg}
Other than having it included twice it also starts to throw macro redefinition errors.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: December 28th, 2021, 7:06 pm Why would you even want to do this? And even if you do, automating like that it seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
It shows errors in the console. I'm only doing it for files smaller than 72x72 that are supposed to be 72x72. So not overlay images and such, but regular unit images.

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: December 28th, 2021, 7:06 pm You're missing how to handle a one-off special note. If it's a literal string (ie, {SPECIAL_NOTES}+_"This is a note!"), then you need to add a [special_note] tag in the [unit_type]:

Code: Select all

[special_note]
	note=_"This is a note!"
[/special_note]
If it's a custom note macro that's associated with a movetype (ie, every unit with that movetype has it and no units without that movetype have it), then add the [special_note] tag to the movetype definition in the [units] tag. If it's a custom note macro associated with a custom damage type (eg "electrical"), you need to add it in the [language] tag:

[language]
	special_note_damage_type_electrical=_"This is a note!"
[/language]
That is true if it is a special note that is unit specific and not ability specific. But, that wasn't what I've seen in everything that I have ported so far. In all of my cases, it was related to some custom ability. So to fix it, I would include special_note= to the ability block itself and remove it from the unit definition.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: December 28th, 2021, 7:06 pm This isn't necessarily correct. It preserves the look of the map, but if you instead want to preserve the stats, you should use Tb^Tf, overwriting the pre-existing base.

In a campaign, I think preserving the look is usually correct, but the existence of the other option is why it's not automated in wmllint.
They look like sh*t and I'm not the first one to say that.
I tried giving it a shot in Rise of the Elementalist, but they were there for looks rather than strategy, so I reverted them back.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: December 28th, 2021, 7:06 pm You should always use the version of wmllint that ships with the target version of Wesnoth, so this is correct when porting to 1.14. You should be using the 1.16 version when porting to 1.16.
I'm more focused on porting to 1.14 myself. 1.16 hasn't grown on me yet and I barely use it. It's a memory hog and it freezes my computer.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: December 28th, 2021, 7:06 pm It was never written to handle that, so it's fine. Just don't run it on add-ons newer than 1.2 and you should be fine.
Sure.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

vghetto wrote: December 29th, 2021, 11:14 am Because they crash wmllint/wmlindent. Run the tools on Ghostly Calls or the original Merry Christmas (or the other one by the same author) or Zombies Introduction. They will crash.
Okay, that sounds like a bug in wmllint/wmlindent then.
vghetto wrote: December 29th, 2021, 11:14 am No, it's doing some file paths replacements that the more modern version does not. Specifically in changing the names of older soundtracks.
There are some changes that both miss like wolf-hit.wav.
That's weird… unless the add-on in question was somewhere along the line ported from 1.2, I don't know how it would end up with track names that aren't supposed to exist?
vghetto wrote: December 29th, 2021, 11:14 am
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: December 28th, 2021, 7:06 pm This seems pointless, since the WML parser treats true/yes and false/no as synonyms. In fact, in the GUI2 WML, true and false are consistently used instead of yes and no (I have no idea why this is, only that it is the case).
No, it's not pointless. I first became aware of the true/false problem when I worked on Cities of the Frontiers way back then.
When exactly is "way back then"?
vghetto wrote: December 29th, 2021, 11:14 am
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: December 28th, 2021, 7:06 pm Why would you even want to do this? And even if you do, automating like that it seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
It shows errors in the console. I'm only doing it for files smaller than 72x72 that are supposed to be 72x72. So not overlay images and such, but regular unit images.
Ah, okay, I guess it's safe if it's only making files bigger, although it feels like you could still end up misaligning them.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: December 29th, 2021, 5:28 pm When exactly is "way back then"?
Around January 2020. I don't remember which specific version of wesnoth it was at the time, maybe 1.14.5 the debian repo version or later.

These are from the esci-bugfix branch for Wild_Frontiers which is Cities of the Frontiers unaltered.
https://github.com/virtualghetto/Wild_Frontiers
That's when I first made the changes from true/false to yes/no because something wasn't working right with them.

commit cc35c83e4a4a43c59cf47369b3a19c1530971072
Author: larry_the_cow <larry@gentoo.org>
Date:   Thu Jan 23 17:15:36 2020 +0000

commit c8f66db3471028d4f2cfdbf778ad73c1d6c77d35
Author: larry_the_cow <larry@gentoo.org>
Date:   Wed Jan 22 19:46:43 2020 +0000
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Hmm, that's strange, because the parser definitely treats true/yes and false/no as synonyms… I do see some places in that first commit that use equals and not_equals instead of boolean_equals and boolean_not_equals though, which would convert it to a string and consider "true" and "yes" to be different, but at least one place is correct.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

We really need a wmllint thread :)

I found another "quirk" of the lint picking machine:

It changes all instances of Rami to Dune Rider. Including custom name lists...

So it took a demon name Ramiel in a race name list and turned it into Dune Riderel. Hehehe.

Amusing as it is it is also a tad annoying since when you run it you get a half page of demon names listed and you are forced to use dry run to avoid changing it again. There is no wmllint magic word that will turn this off, I went through the whole list of options. So it would be quite good to change this or add a way to disable it.
egallager

Post by egallager »

Atreides wrote: December 30th, 2021, 6:25 pm We really need a wmllint thread :)

I found another "quirk" of the lint picking machine:

It changes all instances of Rami to Dune Rider. Including custom name lists...

So it took a demon name Ramiel in a race name list and turned it into Dune Riderel. Hehehe.

Amusing as it is it is also a tad annoying since when you run it you get a half page of demon names listed and you are forced to use dry run to avoid changing it again. There is no wmllint magic word that will turn this off, I went through the whole list of options. So it would be quite good to change this or add a way to disable it.
Heh, reminds me of knyght getting his name updated to Tahsin Jahin Dune Paragon...
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Atreides wrote: December 30th, 2021, 6:25 pm Amusing as it is it is also a tad annoying since when you run it you get a half page of demon names listed and you are forced to use dry run to avoid changing it again. There is no wmllint magic word that will turn this off, I went through the whole list of options. So it would be quite good to change this or add a way to disable it.
Actually, there's a magic comment for this. Put # wmllint: noconvert in the lines where you want to disable conversions.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Elvish_Hunter wrote: December 30th, 2021, 7:24 pm
Atreides wrote: December 30th, 2021, 6:25 pm Amusing as it is it is also a tad annoying since when you run it you get a half page of demon names listed and you are forced to use dry run to avoid changing it again. There is no wmllint magic word that will turn this off, I went through the whole list of options. So it would be quite good to change this or add a way to disable it.
Actually, there's a magic comment for this. Put # wmllint: noconvert in the lines where you want to disable conversions.
Fantastic! Thank you. I hadn't tried that since the help text implied it was for something else only.
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

Just ported to 1.16 the campaign Liberating Alduin.

Tested in normal difficulty, the campaign is complete and should be fully operational, even if it would need several adjustments.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Argesilao2 wrote: December 30th, 2021, 10:26 pm Just ported to 1.16 the campaign Liberating Alduin.

Tested in normal difficulty, the campaign is complete and should be fully operational, even if it would need several adjustments.
Thank you so much. I updated the main list.
I'm still stuck working on Wesband. A big update is coming soon(tm) which allows it to work with third party units/eras and add-ons. That means those units would have an inventory and can pick up and drop stuff. Well at least in theory. Also the inventory is sorted!! Wooo!

Edit:
The Altaz Mariners and Den of Thieves were quietly released recently.
I need to update my TAM patch and Marauding Thieves before I get back to this project.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

I'm gonna start the update process. I'll be focusing on the 1.14 uploads first.

Is anyone working on anything relating to this project right now?
I'm going to be porting Northern_Forces to 1.14/1.16.