vghetto port project

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vghetto

Re: vghetto port project

Post by vghetto »

Elvish_Hunter wrote: November 28th, 2021, 10:47 pm Did you make any changes to the campaign, or it's just a compatibility update?
No, Children of dragons didn't require much work, wmllint took care of FLAG_VARIANT6, ABILITY_LEADERSHIP...
I removed MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR and replaced a couple of "true" with "yes" in terrain/terrain.cfg.
I added CAMPAIGN_DIFFICULTY instead of difficult_description. and for the moveto in scenario 9 I moved the ranged x,y from the filter into the sub filter_location.
That was it.
I still haven't tested it for runtime wml/lua errors.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

The_Unstoppable_Legion ported and uploaded to 1.14, 1.16.
I didn't test it on 1.16, I just made sure it ran.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Dammit!!!
The 1.12 add-on server got turned off and I lost the raw wml output :( :( :(
Does anyone have a copy of it?

I need it to recreate the _server.pbl files.
I used this command to get it. This is wesnoth_addon_manager for the 1.12 version.
wesnoth_addon_manager --list -w -V
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

vghetto wrote: November 29th, 2021, 6:30 pm Dammit!!!
The 1.12 add-on server got turned off and I lost the raw wml output :( :( :(
Does anyone have a copy of it?

I need it to recreate the _server.pbl files.
I used this command to get it. This is wesnoth_addon_manager for the 1.12 version.
wesnoth_addon_manager --list -w -V
This is the raw WML returned by the 1.12 add-on server (downloaded about 36 hours ago). It might not be exactly the same as what the wesnoth_addon_manager tool displays but I think it's basically the same information?
Attachments
1.12.wml.gz
(191.93 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Interesting. Didn't know you could get the original pbl files! I've been going to the addons webpage and looking at the icon and copy pasting the description. The version #'s I get from the info.cfg

Sad to hear the addon 1.12 is gone. I just used it two days ago to grab some amazing ones I had stupidly overlooked before. (Art of War, Feudal Era, Extended Armies Era) I guess it's the webpage for downloads now.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

gnombat wrote: November 29th, 2021, 8:50 pm This is the raw WML returned by the 1.12 add-on server (downloaded about 36 hours ago). It might not be exactly the same as what the wesnoth_addon_manager tool displays but I think it's basically the same information?
Thank you so much! It will do.

@Atreides you've been doing it the hard way :)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hmm, I ran wmllint on Struggle for Freedom but that didn't really do much :v

I have to do most of it by hand. Now, that I have started checking it, I have realised that it may need more work on the internal side as there's mountains of deprecated code inside it. So, the porting might take a while longer.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

@Lord-Knightmare Let me know if you decide to ditch it. I'll pick it up.

I'm currently porting The_Three_Elves. Not much work, might be up on the addon server by tomorrow.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Someone else uploaded The_Three_Elves to 1.16. That wasn't me or my version.
Ok, removed from the list and moving on to something else. Any recommendations?
egallager

Post by egallager »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: November 29th, 2021, 10:35 pm Hmm, I ran wmllint on Struggle for Freedom but that didn't really do much :v

I have to do most of it by hand. Now, that I have started checking it, I have realised that it may need more work on the internal side as there's mountains of deprecated code inside it. So, the porting might take a while longer.
Please open bugs against wmllint for the things that it wasn't able to handle that you're having to do by hand!
Ptitboul

Post by Ptitboul »

Dear all, thank you for this initiative!
How do you implement the porting for 1.14/1.16? Do you maintain backward compatibility?

For example, in the campaign I am creating, I prefer to have only one WML/lua/... code, which is able to work on 1.12/1.14/1.16. The reasoning behind this choice is that if it works for many existing versions, it is likely to work with minimal modifications on future versions, and therefore porting to 1.18 may not be needed.
My campaign, Bloodlust, is is need of feedback!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

egallager wrote: November 30th, 2021, 8:20 am
Lord-Knightmare wrote: November 29th, 2021, 10:35 pm Hmm, I ran wmllint on Struggle for Freedom but that didn't really do much :v

Please open bugs against wmllint for the things that it wasn't able to handle that you're having to do by hand!
Hmm, can you confirm two things? Like I have to do {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR} and {SPECIAL_NOTES} stuff by hand. Has it always been like that? I am a bit rusty. If so, I will open a FR for wmllint improvement.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Ptitboul wrote: November 30th, 2021, 9:31 am
How do you implement the porting for 1.14/1.16? Do you maintain backward compatibility?
Since this is a porting project, it's more or less 2 sprints.
  • Port campaign from 1.12 to 1.14, keep a copy for 1.14
  • Patch any bugs if appearing during fast test run for 1.14.
  • Port campaign from 1.14 to 1.16.
  • Patch any bugs if appearing during fast test run for 1.16.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

vghetto wrote: November 30th, 2021, 3:32 am Someone else uploaded The_Three_Elves to 1.16. That wasn't me or my version.
Ok, removed from the list and moving on to something else. Any recommendations?
NX-RPG/Shadows of Deception please! the Vultraz wouldn't mind, I guess...
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

This is my checklist of sorts:
For 1.14/1.16
Replace true/false with yes/no
Remove {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR}
Remove {SOUND:POISON}
Remove {SOUND:SLOW}
Remove ellipse=
Replace [option]message= with [option]label=
Replace {FOREACH} with [for]

Replace campaign difficulty, generally with this template:
{CAMPAIGN_DIFFICULTY EASY "~RC(magenta>red)" (_"") (_"Easy")}
{CAMPAIGN_DIFFICULTY NORMAL "~RC(magenta>red)" (_"") (_"Normal")} {DEFAULT_DIFFICULTY}
{CAMPAIGN_DIFFICULTY HARD "~RC(magenta>red)" (_"") (_"Hard")}

Add {AMLA_DEFAULT} where needed
Add #textdomain- where needed
Replace file injections like {~/add-ons/.../deaths.cfg} within a scenario with a macro. Unless that path isn't already included in _main.cfg.
Use #undef where needed
clear variables heal_amout/harm_amount where needed
Remove/replace deprecated AI aspects.
I'm supposed to replace overlay= with apply_to=overlay, but I tend to ignore those.

For 1.16
Remove extra_defines=
Change map Uf to Tf with sed, then try to hunt down Uf in the cfg.
Remove {SPECIAL_NOTE}
Add special_note= where needed.

I tend to not mess with deprecated lua stuff unless something appears on the screen while not in debug mode.

There are other things that I do, but I can't remember on top of my head, usually bug fixing when I see them or if they pop up during gameplay.

Btw, I rarely enable :debug mode when I'm testing, I rely more on my little cheat mod to get through the testing (and sometimes awfully bad campaigns :))

I avoid messing with broken custom terrain unless I know how to fix it. Unfortunately, most of the time I don't.
Terrains and image manipulations are about the only thing that I haven't fully understood.

@Ptitboul: Backward compatible with 1.12? Generally no, that's not a priority for me in this project.

If you do a diff of what I have uploaded so far between 1.14 and 1.16, you'll notice that even there they will differ. Specifically with Uf/Tf and the removal of SPECIAL_NOTE.

@Lord-Knightmare Thanks for the recommendation. I think it was the original maintainer of the three elves that did the upload. The timing for his upload was a coincidence. Anyway, I'm finishing up Prinzessin_Nilwyn and I'll look into NX-RPG/Shadows of Deception after that.