Flatpak problem

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Flatpak problem

Post by Atreides »

I have 1.16 installed via flatpak as the stable branch. When 1.16.1 came out I did a flatpak update as root and it installed and updated a few things including 3 Mb of update from 1.16 to 1.16.1.

However when I ran the new program it was still 1.16.0. What happened?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Flatpak problem

Post by Pentarctagon »

I'm not sure what would be causing that to happen. When I do a flatpak update locally I get:

Code: Select all

flatpak update
Looking for updates…

ID                            Branch          Op          Remote                  Download
 1. [✓] org.wesnoth.Wesnoth           stable          u           flathub                  3.6 MB / 474.0 MB
 2. [✓] org.wesnoth.Wesnoth           master          u           wesnoth-origin          11.9 MB / 475.4 MB

Updates complete.
Then launching gives:

Code: Select all

flatpak run org.wesnoth.Wesnoth
Battle for Wesnoth v1.16.1 x86_64
Started on Thu Nov 11 12:31:01 2021

Data directory:               /app/share/wesnoth
User configuration directory: /home/USER/.var/app/org.wesnoth.Wesnoth/config/wesnoth
User data directory:          /home/USER/.var/app/org.wesnoth.Wesnoth/data/wesnoth/1.16
Cache directory:              /home/USER/.var/app/org.wesnoth.Wesnoth/cache/wesnoth

Setting mode to 2560x1415
Checking lua scripts... ok
And it shows 1.16.1 in the bottom left corner. You're getting the flatpak from Flathub and not another source, right?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

That is identical to what I see. Down to the 3.6 MB download total!

Yet when I type in the exact same command to run from a terminal I get 1.16.0 still.

I even uninstalled and reinstalled.

Funny thing is that when I type flatpak list it actually lists it as 1.16.1! Yet it is not.

Yes, flathub except for the master branch which I also have installed from the other remote. The 1.17 I have does have the new 16.1 fixes such as the sidebar popups working again.

Well, I guess this is unsolvable. I'll just wait for 16.2 and hope that works.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Mystery solved.

I discovered by chance that flatpak has a bad flaw. As root when you type flatpak list it lists only system installed flatpaks. I happened to enter the command as my user and found that a user install of 1.16.0 from org.wesnoth.Wesnoth-origins was installed! I remember now that I'd tried to install 1.16 via the web earlier but it had seemed to fail so I forgot all about it and of course due to the flatpak defect I couldn't know.

1.16.1 was installed all this time as a system install but the user install presumably received priority when I ran it. Out of curiosity I'm going to try and track down WHERE the user files were hiding (I am well familiar with where the system files reside).