War and Home - Campaign for 1.16

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yiledute

Re: War and Home - Campaign for 1.16

Post by Yiledute »

Hi!

I enjoyed your campaign quite a lot. I hadn't played Wesnoth for a long time, and a sudden craving made me come back.

I played it in normal and found it fun and interesting.

Sorry if I didn't completely read the previous comments, but is there any plan to finish the project? For a moment I felt I had reached the end in The last shore, and because I didn't have the opportunity of using the veterans I collected across the scenarios it left me with a terrible lack of catharsis.
hopelight

Post by hopelight »

Duncan_Shriek wrote: August 29th, 2022, 11:54 am The elvish lord and the elvish high lady came out of storage at start with 0 movement points
Thanks for the report, I'll try and see how to fix it.
chee wrote: August 29th, 2022, 9:41 pm Hi, We have prepared po and mo file for Japanese translation based on the POT v.0.5.2.
I will upload it here.
We( "chee/k.k konami,k" & "yabuki" ) would appreciate it if you could add translation credits.
Thanks for the file, will add it when the next release happens (though it's taking some time, got to write on top of the rest now, and life started to rear its ugly head once more).
And yes, obviously this will be added in the credits.

EDIT: For the credits, the first name is "chee/k.k konami,k" and the second is "yabuki" ?
(The first name seems unusual for me as it has slashes and periods, is that actually it or is it instead a "misprint" because of character sets or the like?)
Yiledute wrote: September 8th, 2022, 12:03 am Hi!

I enjoyed your campaign quite a lot. I hadn't played Wesnoth for a long time, and a sudden craving made me come back.

I played it in normal and found it fun and interesting.

Sorry if I didn't completely read the previous comments, but is there any plan to finish the project? For a moment I felt I had reached the end in The last shore, and because I didn't have the opportunity of using the veterans I collected across the scenarios it left me with a terrible lack of catharsis.
Happy you liked it, and as for the "lack of catharsis" in the ending, that's normal, it's not the ending, it's a "holding" scenario until the next update: the next scenario is itself, so when you finish it, if there hasn't been an update, you end up at the beginning of the same scenario, and if there has been one, you reach the new one.
Author of War and Home and Knights of the Silver Spire, 1.16 campaigns.
hopelight

Post by hopelight »

Well, update out now!

Version 0.6.0, adds 6 scenarios (4 battles) and the japanese translation of the previous levels by chee/k.k konami,k and yabuki.
It should also fix the missing moves problem when units "rejoin" the story (beginning of a new arc, etc.), but I don't really have a save where I can check that.

The portrait used for Haldar is a variation of Iris Morelle's erathan portrait.

I'll just hope everything's working.

Here's the info for translation regarding non-obvious stuff:
Translation Changelog
  • "A tale of a rookie wesnothian officer ..." : Modified the number of both playable and expected scenarios (that seemed to be it, the rest is either new scenarios or new units)
Tarcil

Post by Tarcil »

I played further and really liked the new scenarios with Turod, but Jesus, they are way harder than before. The orcs have way to much gold and you have way too few. They tore me apart multiple times. I am not the best BfW player and it is for sure doable, but a little bit more gold would be very nice.
To say the least, the difficulty is way up than the scenarios before.
Creator of "In Defense of Kharos" viewtopic.php?t=56628
yabuki

Post by yabuki »

Hello Folks.

Thank for your new release. I enjoy your Campaign.

I am a contributor of Japanese translation. I am glad you got into our translation.
Japanese translation files should be ja.po.

And I proof playing. I want to ask author. In Chapter 26 Encircled, Orcish Force (side 4) gain 2000 gold when I play Easy difficultly. Is this correct?
Other difficulties gain 200 gold.

Best Regards
yabuki
hopelight wrote: December 10th, 2022, 3:40 am Well, update out now!

Version 0.6.0, adds 6 scenarios (4 battles) and the japanese translation of the previous levels by chee/k.k konami,k and yabuki.
It should also fix the missing moves problem when units "rejoin" the story (beginning of a new arc, etc.), but I don't really have a save where I can check that.

The portrait used for Haldar is a variation of Iris Morelle's erathan portrait.

I'll just hope everything's working.

Here's the info for translation regarding non-obvious stuff:
Translation Changelog
  • "A tale of a rookie wesnothian officer ..." : Modified the number of both playable and expected scenarios (that seemed to be it, the rest is either new scenarios or new units)
hopelight

Post by hopelight »

Tarcil wrote: December 12th, 2022, 11:17 pm I played further and really liked the new scenarios with Turod, but Jesus, they are way harder than before. The orcs have way to much gold and you have way too few. They tore me apart multiple times. I am not the best BfW player and it is for sure doable, but a little bit more gold would be very nice.
I'm not sure which ones these are, could you specify?
Spoiler:
yabuki wrote: December 15th, 2022, 1:48 pm Hello Folks.

Thank for your new release. I enjoy your Campaign.

I am a contributor of Japanese translation. I am glad you got into our translation.
Japanese translation files should be ja.po.

And I proof playing. I want to ask author. In Chapter 26 Encircled, Orcish Force (side 4) gain 2000 gold when I play Easy difficultly. Is this correct?
Other difficulties gain 200 gold.

Best Regards
yabuki
Happy you enjoyed it and thanks for the error-spotting, both regarding filename and gold (being mean to players who want an easier experience was actually not the goal :D )!
New version should be up, fixing these issues.
Let's hope it didn't break anything new...
Tarcil

Post by Tarcil »

hopelight wrote: December 18th, 2022, 11:34 pm
Tarcil wrote: December 12th, 2022, 11:17 pm I played further and really liked the new scenarios with Turod, but Jesus, they are way harder than before. The orcs have way to much gold and you have way too few. They tore me apart multiple times. I am not the best BfW player and it is for sure doable, but a little bit more gold would be very nice.
I'm not sure which ones these are, could you specify?
Spoiler:
No, Turod is a general already in my playthrough. But I started with 190 Gold in "A Lone Village and the enemy spawns a lot of soldiers. Starting with " A Desolated Land" the campaign became much harder than before.
Creator of "In Defense of Kharos" viewtopic.php?t=56628
yabuki

Post by yabuki »

Thank you for updating 0.6.1!

I can see translation french and Japanese (Nihongo)! on addon manager.
chee

Post by chee »

We have updated the Japanese translation for 0.6.x and are sending it to you. Use it instead of the current one.
Please note that only ja.po is sent this time, as ja.mo is not necessary if you have it in "wesnoth-war_and_home" folder.
( You can delete the existing old ja.mo.)

Separately, if you change line 22 of 23_The_Monastery.cfg as follows, this part can also be translated. ( to be changed '_' only)

Code: Select all

current:    {ALTERNATIVE_OBJECTIVE ("Defeat all enemy leaders")}
 changed to: {ALTERNATIVE_OBJECTIVE ( _ "Defeat all enemy leaders")}
( Both fr.po and ja.po can be used without updating. Since "Defeat all enemy leaders" is already used elsewhere. )

Thank you. :)
WaH-translation-ja.po_for0.6.1.zip
Japanese translation file ja.po for WaH v.0.6.1
(61.85 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
-------
chee / k.k
TheNIGROMANT4

Post by TheNIGROMANT4 »

Love it. I find the campaign a bit short (I know it is under development) but I think the story is interesting and would be possible to extract something more from it, like humans helping the elves get their homeland back after figthing an orcish army and their leader.
In general aspects, a pretty cool campaign!
Hiromasa

Post by Hiromasa »

In scenario 19_Not_In_Vain.
Since there is no need to defend the port city area at the moment, you can spend 12 turns without difficulty by defending the forest area to the west of the trolls after defeating them at all costs at the beginning of the game.

The same thing can be said for scenario 03_Port_Assignement. If the defense of a base is not a condition for defeat, even if it looks surrounded and tough, it is a basic strategy recognized by many players to destroy each troll from the nearest place before it is surrounded.

In the case of a besieged defense, wouldn't it be better to consider defeat as the end of the turn if at the end of any of the turns, the turn ends in a situation where the castle has been invaded inside the walls?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Hiromasa

Post by Hiromasa »

In scenario 19_Not_In_Vain.
Since there is no need to defend the port city area at the moment, you can spend 12 turns without difficulty by defending the forest area to the west of the trolls after defeating them at all costs at the beginning of the game.

The same can be said for scenario 03_Port_Assignement, but if the defense of a base is not a condition for defeat even if it appears to be surrounded and tough, destroying each individual from close quarters before it is surrounded is a basic strategy that is recognized by many players.

In the case of a besieged defense, wouldn't it be better to consider defeat as the end of the turn if at the end of any of the turns, the turn ends in a situation where the castle has been invaded inside the walls?
hopelight

Post by hopelight »

Tarcil wrote: December 19th, 2022, 2:17 pm No, Turod is a general already in my playthrough. But I started with 190 Gold in "A Lone Village and the enemy spawns a lot of soldiers. Starting with " A Desolated Land" the campaign became much harder than before.
I see, I'll adjust most of these slightly to give more gold.

However, don't forget that some of these have non-standard objectives/setup that can make it easier (you have some added allies in the village, you only need to beat one lord in the next scenario, etc.).
Hiromasa wrote: January 7th, 2023, 7:44 pm In the case of a besieged defense, wouldn't it be better to consider defeat as the end of the turn if at the end of any of the turns, the turn ends in a situation where the castle has been invaded inside the walls?
I see your point, and you're right, I'll have to see how to fix it, however...
The problem is that an enemy can quite easily get in the walls once (and you kill him directly afterwards, on the start of your turn), so I would need to do something like you suggested about checking at the end of the turn (I'll have to test it).
However, the other problem is that those two scenarios are already on the harder side for this campaign and I, on normal (the difficulty I assume I, and most people, will play at), keeping all the walls is quite difficult/unlikely.
Anyways, it's worth testing, maybe something related to holding the docks instead or the like.
TheNIGROMANT4 wrote: December 21st, 2022, 12:02 pm Love it. I find the campaign a bit short (I know it is under development) but I think the story is interesting and would be possible to extract something more from it, like humans helping the elves get their homeland back after figthing an orcish army and their leader.
In general aspects, a pretty cool campaign!
Now now, that'd be spoilery :D
chee wrote: December 21st, 2022, 7:02 am We have updated the Japanese translation for 0.6.x and are sending it to you. Use it instead of the current one.
Please note that only ja.po is sent this time, as ja.mo is not necessary if you have it in "wesnoth-war_and_home" folder.
Thanks for the translation!
chee wrote: December 21st, 2022, 7:02 am Separately, if you change line 22 of 23_The_Monastery.cfg as follows, this part can also be translated. ( to be changed '_' only)
And thanks for spotting that one, I hadn't seen it, it'll be fixed.
I thought wmllint would note these but it didn't, I'll be more careful about them.
loabi_meeha

Post by loabi_meeha »

Great campaign! I've just finished it, and I can safely say it's one of the better add-ons available. Thank you!
hopelight

Post by hopelight »

Alright, new update out, life is annoying right now (though nothing major), and I've been playing other games, which somewhat explains the slow pace.

The update adds 5 scenarios, but only two of those are battles. It also permits seeing the credits after reaching the temporary "end", as well as fixing some gold setup in scenarios 22-26 (also, the changelogs should now be within the campaign files as well, but that's more of a minor detail).

Please tell me if stuff is broken, I've been sitting on this for far too long (I'm still not entirely happy how the 27th scenario ended up, but it should be good enough and waiting perpetually is annoying for everyone involved).

For the translation:
Spoiler:
Regarding the length of the campaign, there are about 10 battle scenarios left, and considering the pacing, I'd estimate these will make four separate updates, so you can expect it to be done by next year's summer :D (I'm kidding, I intend to go back to a faster pace).

Oh and also:
loabi_meeha wrote: January 15th, 2023, 12:02 pm Great campaign! I've just finished it, and I can safely say it's one of the better add-ons available. Thank you!
Thanks a lot!
Last edited by hopelight on July 20th, 2023, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.