WML Tutorial 2.0?

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
shevegen

WML Tutorial 2.0?

Post by shevegen »

Hey folks,

As I decided to actually seriously start a campaign in December 2021 (so I still have some time left ... I am doing some preparatory moves; I'll eventually publish all my findings on rubygems.org, when it comes to code, but this comes at a later time), I am wondering:

- Is there a TUTORIAL that works in a step-by-step fashion?

What I would need are EXAMPLES, working snippets. I am notoriously lazy but I learn best when there are small examples
that build up incrementally, so I can add on more knowledge. Such a tutorial would be great.

With snippets I mean things that can be isolated and tested in a small way, and from there build - perhaps ideally even do so within wesnoth directly but it is ok to work with text files too - the important part I'd be looking for here is to understand and learn in small steps. When I read a huge, long guide it tends to bore me quickly. I am notoriously multi-tasking so I totally mess my head up ... with short attention span. :D (But I also write down things once I understand it in a succinct way, so it helps me remember and learn. Hard to explain this mental model but perhaps some other folks can relate.)
vghetto

Re: WML Tutorial 2.0?

Post by vghetto »

Maybe not what you're asking for, but these might help. Look for WML_Guide, FrankenWML, Wesnoth_Lua_Pack.
Jarom
Location: Green Isle, Irdya or Poland, Earth - I'm not quite sure

Post by Jarom »

I got inspired by your post and I'm in progress of writing one. Expect first chapters soon. In the meantime, consult WML Guide or try copying from An Orcish Incursion.
winkr7

Post by winkr7 »

I looked at WML for Complete Beginners is that the same as WML Guide?
Is there somewhere else to find WML guide?

Never mind, I found it--it is not a directory it is an add-on.

thanks
Jarom

Post by Jarom »

OK, finished the tutorial that might be better: https://wiki.wesnoth.org/MakingCampaignInWML. Still in review stage, but I'm somewhat satisfied.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Jarom wrote: November 25th, 2021, 5:18 pm OK, finished the tutorial that might be better: https://wiki.wesnoth.org/MakingCampaignInWML. Still in review stage, but I'm somewhat satisfied.
Skimmed through the page and seems to be quite detailed. Good work! I have also pinned this to the modding channel of the discord since we get so many new authors asking there first.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Jarom wrote: November 25th, 2021, 5:18 pm OK, finished the tutorial that might be better: https://wiki.wesnoth.org/MakingCampaignInWML. Still in review stage, but I'm somewhat satisfied.
Well done!
winkr7

Post by winkr7 »

You have made a good start. I would like to comment on some confusing names. If you name stuff with WML in the name the user may think WML is required for WML code. FOO might be a better choices, similarly if you use the name scenario in a name for a scenario file the user may think the string scenario is required for a scenario name. You are not alone in this convention, I don't now how many oop guilds call objects, my_object.

I laude your efforts of course.

yours
winkr7
Jarom

Post by Jarom »

Thanks for the feedback, for me it seems like a very weird issue that wouldn't affect most people, but it is a biased opinion since I'm a longstanding programmer, so we'll see. I can't easily replace WML_Tutorial because it was used a lot there, and I hope those who are slightly disoriented did follow my advice and downloaded some simple add-on for reference.

Well, if it keeps coming up, I guess I'll change it anyway.