Unit Sprites are no longer Pixel Art?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gwarh

Unit Sprites are no longer Pixel Art?

Post by Gwarh »

I recently reinstalled BfW to try it out again (been at least 5 years since I last played, maybe longer), this time on my new iPad. And when I zoomed in to my units I notices they weren't exactly Pixel Art sprites anymore but had sort of a "painterly" effect blurring/blending all the pixels together. Is this a new look the game is taking in the newest patch 1.14+ or, has it always been this way and my memory is just faulty?

And regardless of the above is there a way to disable/de-select the painterly effect to achieve a more classic pixel art look for the units in the game? Maybe I need to look for an older version of the game?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Unit Sprites are no longer Pixel Art?

Post by Pentarctagon »

When zooming in Wesnoth uses the xBRZ algorithm to scale the images. How images are scaled when zooming in can be adjusted in the advanced preferences -> Graphics scaling options.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Gwarh

Re: Unit Sprites are no longer Pixel Art?

Post by Gwarh »

Thank you for the prompt reply Pentarctagon

I see my issue was that there is no such setting on the IOS version of the game unfortunately.
When I installed it on my home PC I was able to locate the Graphic's Scaling Options and set it to "Nearest Neighbor and now it's maintaining the Pixel like quality when zoomed in.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7dJxk1GYDbWcot1X9