FrostBlade's Season 1 (10 Scenarios-Addons)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

FrostBlade5

FrostBlade's Season 1 (10 Scenarios-Addons)

Post by FrostBlade5 »

Info:

Here are all my current Maps/Scenarios: (last update 06.04.2023)
[Wesnoth 1.14.17 - 1.16]
Screenshot of Addon List: https://i.postimg.cc/qqQDSTWq/Scenario- ... 0-2021.png
Screenshot of all Maps: https://postimg.cc/yJ421yTN

Note: Most of my Maps/Scenarios are Multiplayer and Singleplayer, co-op and/or pvp.

Every 10 maps i create, will be a season.
Season 1 (2021) addon-list:

1 - Battle of Kingdoms [4 players - co-op or pvp - 1 AI=monsters - size=150x100]
2 - United Journey [2 players - co-op - 3 AI=monsters - size=150x100]
3 - Era of Empires [6 players - co-op or pvp - 1 AI=monsters - size=150x75]
4 - Thick Blood [2 players - co-op - 4 AI=monsters - size=60x50]
5 - Black Magic [6 players - co-op or pvp - 3 AI=monsters - size=61x18]
6 - Rough Desert [2 players - co-op or pvp - 2 AI=monsters - size=200x200]
7 - Dark Waters [2 players - co-op or pvp - 2 AI=monsters - size=150x50]
8 - Shadow of the Abyss [2 players - co-op or pvp - 4 AI=monsters - size=100x50]
9 - Dead Whispers [singleplayer - 4 AI=monsters - size=100x50]
10 - Black Water Swamp [4 players - co-op or pvp - 1 AI=monsters - size=100x50]

Suggestions, Problems, Improvements? Let me know in the Comments below.
I will keep working to improve/fix any of my previous scenarios.

After downloading any of my Addons open Multiplayer start a Local-Game or connect to a Server.
Then you will find the Addon under the Scenarios-List at the very bottom.
You can find all my Content by typing frost into the Addon-Search.

Season 2: viewtopic.php?t=55276
Last edited by FrostBlade5 on April 6th, 2023, 5:25 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Scenario Feedback ?

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Firstly, you should make proper forum thread titles for your scenarios, along with their descriptions and where to download.
Secondly, screenshots of the map/scenario on the forum post should be nice to give people a starting impression to try it.
Thirdly, not everyone is active on forums but opening a noticeable title with SEO would help get feedback a bit sooner. The title "Scenario Feedback" does not tell me which scenario it is or where it is.
For better add-on advertisement, I would suggest utilising the tags= field in the PBL file.

Code: Select all

tags=multiplayer,mp_scenario,coop,cooperative,teamplay,bigmapbattle,skirmish,teams
As for your scenarios, I downloaded them all. Would give feedback posts as a follow up.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Feedback for "4p - Battle of Kingdoms"
  • Player turns might take maybe 15-30 minutes which is not ideal, might need to use a timer of 120 seconds.
  • Some monster leave their good terrain spawn locations and expose themselves in bad terrain. Sea Serpent, Cuttle Fish, Water Serpent, etc.
  • Player 1 seems to be in an unfair location as they get swarmed by Yetis...Yetis!
  • Lack of Monster unit variety. I see just like maybe 6-7 unit types for side 5. Wesnoth has monsters like Wyverns, Fire Guardians, Rats, Bats, Djinn, etc.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
mentos987

Post by mentos987 »

I played out one turn of five of your scenarios and found a reoccurring issue for me, things are too big, you are forced to play with "Skip AI moves" and "Accelerated speed" and even then there is just too much. Many of the map sizes are also huge.

I realize this could be a personal preference issue but I think others will have the same problem.

I think an optimal number of units for the player to control is about 4-16. Less that 4 and you can't make enough tactical decisions, more than 16 and progression is too slow and you stop caring about the units.

P.s I am open for some kind of collaboration if you want, I made a post about starting a new custom campaign but people didn't seem too interested so I have shelved it for now. https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=54897
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

My first thought was that there must be others such as myself who are not really interested in playing individual scenarios (vs campaigns), so you may miss out on feedback due to this reason. I don't care about story, but I suspect those who do would also highly prefer campaigns.

I decided to try one (United Journey). The notes say "After downloading this Addon you will find it under Scenarios". But what if I don't know that I have to first go to Multiplayer and then start a local server? I was expecting a "Scenarios" button on the main menu, like "Campaigns". I figured it out, but how many people will just give up?

I looked at the starting gold and the map layout/size, and it's too big for me. Maybe this is a multiplayer thing?

I agree with Lord-Knightmare's comments, you should probably have one thread per download, and a link to the thread should be included.
FrostBlade5

Post by FrostBlade5 »

Thank you all [Lord-Knightmare, mentos987,white_haired_uncle, for your Feedback!
I read everything you commented and will change my future Scenarios to resolve the problems you listed.
I might also edit the previous Scenarios again but it will take time.

I know the Maps are huge, as you gussed this is a personal prefference.
I have also noticed the turns are taking WAY... to long, i think Wesnoth limits the AI since i have a High-End-PC and i checked my System... only 1 Core was at 25% - 50% usage while other cores where almost at 0% usage and other hardware components where barely used.

So this is sad because in theorie if Wesnoth could handle this more efficent, huge maps would not be a problem.
I dont really like extremly smal maps but i will make sure the future content i create will be less in size.

I totally agree, its more fun playing with a smaler amount of Units. If you have to many they become meaningless and more of a burden.
So i will also make sure future content will include less units/villages/money.
FrostBlade5

Re: FrostBlade's Season 1 Scenarios/Addons (2021)

Post by FrostBlade5 »

Season 1 is now completed.
Season 2 will follow.

Personally i liked Battle of Kingdoms and Era of Empires the most.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Hi, just tried Battle of Kingdoms and it's fun so far. I do like large maps and lots of units (been playing some games on Dominus maps for over a year now - turn 200, units about the same : ) and this one had an interesting difference. Starting with huge gold and keep was new to me. But you need it very soon to deal with a wave of level 3 beasts!

Playing solo vs 3 AI and the beasts. Shuffle on as always which leads me to suggest an important improvement:

put :
allow_player=no
into the beast side or else it gets shuffled and you don't want that. I don't think that side was meant to be played by a human anyways? If it was you can instead:
disallow_shuffle=yes
FrostBlade5

Post by FrostBlade5 »

Atreides wrote: December 27th, 2021, 6:59 pm Hi, just tried Battle of Kingdoms and it's fun so far. I do like large maps and lots of units (been playing some games on Dominus maps for over a year now - turn 200, units about the same : ) and this one had an interesting difference. Starting with huge gold and keep was new to me. But you need it very soon to deal with a wave of level 3 beasts!

Playing solo vs 3 AI and the beasts. Shuffle on as always which leads me to suggest an important improvement:

put :
allow_player=no
into the beast side or else it gets shuffled and you don't want that. I don't think that side was meant to be played by a human anyways? If it was you can instead:
disallow_shuffle=yes
Happy to hear you liked that large scaled scenario, you are correct i did not plan for anyone to control the beast side. Didn't know about the possibility to remove human access to a specific side, tryed it right now and it works, will update the scenario soon. Thank you!
FrostBlade5

Post by FrostBlade5 »

Added a new scenario to season 2, tought ill comment that here to let new players know about all the scenarios/maps i'f added already.
season 2: viewtopic.php?t=55275

FrostBlade5

Re: FrostBlade's Season 1 (10 Scenarios-Addons)

Post by FrostBlade5 »

• Update

Recreated "Black Magic" from scratch as the previous scenario was a disaster, been thinking of editing the map for a while, finally done.
Map size is way smaler now, 61x18 with way less villages which makes every unit more important.
A tight battle where every move counts, enjoy.