So I decided to play some Wesnoth again, but in punishment for my neglect…

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DDR

So I decided to play some Wesnoth again, but in punishment for my neglect…

Post by DDR »

Return to Wesnoth luck.png
At this point in my first game back, I'm supposed to have dealt more than double the damage I've taken; but I've taken more damage than I've dealt instead. :lol:
iamsteve03

Re: So I decided to play some Wesnoth again, but in punishment for my neglect…

Post by iamsteve03 »

Wesnoth is great, and I really like it, but I feel that the devotion of the fans to the game hampers its development. If you have spent 10 years playing the game, and know the defenses and movements, and resistances of every unit by heart, the challenge is different than for most players. Commercial games look to expand their reach. Wesnoth at this point mostly is for devotees.
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

iamsteve03 wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 6:09 pm Wesnoth is great, and I really like it, but I feel that the devotion of the fans to the game hampers its development. If you have spent 10 years playing the game, and know the defenses and movements, and resistances of every unit by heart, the challenge is different than for most players. Commercial games look to expand their reach. Wesnoth at this point mostly is for devotees.
It doesn't make sense to remove from Wesnoth things that make it to be Wesnoth
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
egallager

Post by egallager »

dwarftough wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 9:27 pm
iamsteve03 wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 6:09 pm Wesnoth is great, and I really like it, but I feel that the devotion of the fans to the game hampers its development. If you have spent 10 years playing the game, and know the defenses and movements, and resistances of every unit by heart, the challenge is different than for most players. Commercial games look to expand their reach. Wesnoth at this point mostly is for devotees.
It doesn't make sense to remove from Wesnoth things that make it to be Wesnoth
I didn't read iamsteve03's comment as calling for the removal of anything, but rather as a request for the addition of features to make the game more accessible to newcomers (or people returning from breaks who have forgotten things).
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

egallager wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 9:39 pm
I didn't read iamsteve03's comment as calling for the removal of anything, but rather as a request for the addition of features to make the game more accessible to newcomers (or people returning from breaks who have forgotten things).
Maybe. He listed some mechanics, and that old players know them by heart, and that Wesnoth is for devotees. So I interpreted that as calling them too hard for novices. Adding some more visibility, some features to make understanding easier? Maybe he meant that, but then it doesn't make saying that "devotion of the fans... hampers its development", I don't think features making things easier to grasp/more demonstrative were heavily criticized.
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II