WWII: Through the Fire (0.02 test release)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: WWII: First to Fight (SP Campaign in development)

Post by Atreides »

That trench terrain looks good.
Inkerrio

Post by Inkerrio »

Thank you, Atreides!

The addon development goes well. So far I've been able to implement everything as I envision it.
I will draw all required art when I'm done with the WML part.

When it comes to aircraft, it came to my thought that if I make aircraft separate units, they will all basically have the same terrain defenses and movement costs, as it doesn't make sense for any plane to slow down over open water or a hill. This doesn't sound like fun gameplay, so I will most likely go a different route: make a special "spotter" unit and implement different aircraft models as ranged "attacks".
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Instead of "put out production" you could write "taken out of production", it sounds more natural.

Also the UNTLB (untranslateable) can be fixed with the [language] tag in case you didn't know already.

Just a few nitpicks...
Inkerrio

Post by Inkerrio »

Thanks, fixed it!

Unfortunately, I have accidentally deleted my UMC :( The good news, all art was in a different place and I was able to save the most important part, the abilities and events files. While I have to redo some stuff, so it's definitely a setback, it also gave me a chance to rethink the implementation of certain mechanics and gave some new ideas.

One of them being a simple morale system. When a unit is below the certain health threshold, it gets a penalty to damage. After losing even more health, the unit begins to retreat. Basically, being knockbacked with each successful enemy attack.

It's just an idea yet. While the implementation should be fairly simple, as there's already code for knockback, I have some concerns regarding how it will affect the gameplay.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Inkerrio wrote: April 8th, 2022, 5:49 pm Thanks, fixed it!

Unfortunately, I have accidentally deleted my UMC :( The good news, all art was in a different place and I was able to save the most important part, the abilities and events files. While I have to redo some stuff, so it's definitely a setback, it also gave me a chance to rethink the implementation of certain mechanics and gave some new ideas.

One of them being a simple morale system. When a unit is below the certain health threshold, it gets a penalty to damage. After losing even more health, the unit begins to retreat. Basically, being knockbacked with each successful enemy attack.

It's just an idea yet. While the implementation should be fairly simple, as there's already code for knockback, I have some concerns regarding how it will affect the gameplay.
Yikes. But yeah abilities/events tend to be the most involved bits.

I really like that morale idea. While Wesnoth is mostly fantasy and one can assume they're all heroes ;- ) a WW2 sim should really model morale. The knockback idea sounds great. Of course how it plays... well I'd say do it and see how it goes. It can always be adjusted. Or if it really doesn't work (doubtful) it can be replaced.
Inkerrio

Post by Inkerrio »

Atreides wrote: April 8th, 2022, 11:58 pm
Inkerrio wrote: April 8th, 2022, 5:49 pm Thanks, fixed it!

Yikes. But yeah abilities/events tend to be the most involved bits.

I really like that morale idea. While Wesnoth is mostly fantasy and one can assume they're all heroes ;- ) a WW2 sim should really model morale. The knockback idea sounds great. Of course how it plays... well I'd say do it and see how it goes. It can always be adjusted. Or if it really doesn't work (doubtful) it can be replaced.
It seems to work, units retreat at 25% hp. Or more like, teleport 1 hex away. While not supper annoying, it still would be nice to see them "rolling" away instead of blinking. Do you think it would be possible to add hex-to-hex movement animation to the [store] [/unstore] WML?
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Inkerrio wrote: April 10th, 2022, 11:36 am It seems to work, units retreat at 25% hp. Or more like, teleport 1 hex away. While not supper annoying, it still would be nice to see them "rolling" away instead of blinking. Do you think it would be possible to add hex-to-hex movement animation to the [store] [/unstore] WML?
Hmm, I've seen the knockback in action of course but I never really paid attention to the unit being knocked back. The attack tends to be animated in that the knocker moves forward and that seemed pretty satisfying.

As for the WML I have never done or seen anything of that type so I can't help sorry. Perhaps one of the WML wizards will read this and know more.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Inkerrio wrote: April 8th, 2022, 5:49 pm
I like this. Reduced movement would also make sense, though I can see that becoming very annoying for the player.

In similar vein, one thing that has always bugged me about BFW is being able to run huge deficits. IMO, if troops require upkeep and you can't pay them, they should start deserting.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Indeed. I recall in Civilization any units that you don't have enough resources to support under Monarchy/Republic/Communism will get disbanded immediately.

It's quite a generous oversight by BfW. Maybe some sort of explanation could be generated to account for it. Can't think of anything myself though.
Inkerrio

Re: WWII: Through the Fire (SP Campaign in development)

Post by Inkerrio »

A small update on the addon. A lot of work done, the majority of abilitities are in the game and work (mostly) as intended. For now, I'm mostly focused on creating art and sound, then I will make a test mission and upload it.

I also renamed the addon, as I want to reserve the name "First to fight" for the future allied campaign, if it ever comes to this.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Looking good! The title change is fine too. Best to do it before it is uploaded. : )
winkr7

Post by winkr7 »

Hello;

This is a very good idea and I the art is great. However, the war game crowd is also fond of the standard
Nato symbol set. These should be easy to draw and it would be nice to have the option to use them instead.

yours
winkr7
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

winkr7 wrote: November 5th, 2022, 3:17 pm Hello;

This is a very good idea and I the art is great. However, the war game crowd is also fond of the standard
Nato symbol set. These should be easy to draw and it would be nice to have the option to use them instead.

yours
winkr7
Hehe, you are right that they (we) are, although personally I sometimes use silhouettes. You might be surprised at how many wargames offer those 2 options. Tigers on the Prowl, the V4V series are two great examples.

But as a final note I'd like to say that while symbols would be lovely if it delays release of the addon I think it could be added to a later version instead.
Inkerrio

Post by Inkerrio »

Might be possible at some point. The biggest obstable that I see here is to make a custom menu option to switch NATO on and off.

Regarding the addon progress. Finished profile picture artworks for all lvl1 units, which are the only units the test scenario will have, added sounds for all attacks. Left to do artwise: 3 main character portraits, intro art, campaign selection art, German village sprite, WWII-style fortifications as castle hexes, diagonal and curved trenches, some embelishments. Drawing art takes lots and lots of time, but hopefully, many assests will be reusable later.

Code: modified the AI to better follow the day and night cycle, aircraft now retreats at night. The units properly move from hex to hex while retreating, without "teleportation"

Edit: sorry for any grammar mistakes, spent the whole Saturday trying to understand how some stuff in Wesnoth code works, totally exhaused
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Very nice pic. CR42?