The Pool of Ek [SP Campaign] v1.15

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

throwtheaccount

Re: The Pool of Ek [SP Campaign] v1.15

Post by throwtheaccount »

For Wesnoth 1.16, I get an error when I try to start the campaign.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Hi, author of the campaign here. The Pool of Ek was written for version 1.15. After version 1.16 came out, The Pool of Ek stopped working because some of the code in The Battle for Wesnoth had changed.

I recently started working on fixing the broken code in my campaign. I'm not sure how long it will take, though. My mishmash of skills tend to focus on writing and art, not code. Hopefully it won't be too difficult, though.
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Helmet wrote: October 30th, 2022, 2:51 pm Hi, author of the campaign here. The Pool of Ek was written for version 1.15. After version 1.16 came out, The Pool of Ek stopped working because some of the code in The Battle for Wesnoth had changed.

I recently started working on fixing the broken code in my campaign. I'm not sure how long it will take, though. My mishmash of skills tend to focus on writing and art, not code. Hopefully it won't be too difficult, though.
Hi there, I have fixed it. I just downloaded it yesterday and had not yet had a chance to try it. It does indeed not load due to a simple error.

Capitalization! Yeah the paths to the maps are wrong. the_pool_of_ek should be The_Pool_of_Ek instead.

Oh and also the rank=1 (and maybe the year?) needs to be removed as it appears before the mainline campaigns which is considered, um, improper. : )

I only ran it a little bit (no time now) but it looks absolutely fantastic. The opening animated screen blew me away. I have not played too many campaigns but I have not seen that before. Wow.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Helmet wrote: October 30th, 2022, 2:51 pm Hi, author of the campaign here. The Pool of Ek was written for version 1.15. After version 1.16 came out, The Pool of Ek stopped working because some of the code in The Battle for Wesnoth had changed.

Hi,

I ported and patched it for 1.16.x. If you want the PBL file, please let me know.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Atreides wrote: October 30th, 2022, 3:51 pmHi there, I have fixed it...
Wow, that's good news. My troubleshooting method was to delete virtually everything and slowly re-add blocks of code, to locate the problems. I had already spent an hour at it. You saved me a ton of time. Thank you.
Atreides wrote: October 30th, 2022, 3:51 pmI only ran it a little bit (no time now) but it looks absolutely fantastic. The opening animated screen blew me away. I have not played too many campaigns but I have not seen that before. Wow.
Thank you!
Lord-Knightmare wrote: October 31st, 2022, 1:03 am Hi,

I ported and patched it for 1.16.x. If you want the PBL file, please let me know.
That was generous. Thank you.

I actually already implemented all of Atreides' notes, though. I also changed the campaign icon to one of my new custom units (via the nifty data URI method I recently learned). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to upload the repaired campaign to the server. I keep getting this error: "The add-on was rejected by the server: Incorrect passphrase."

My passphrase is correct, so I'm perplexed. I already emailed Iris. I'll post in this thread after Iris remedies the problem.
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I actually already implemented all of Atreides' notes, though. I also changed the campaign icon to one of my new custom units (via the nifty data URI method I recently learned). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to upload the repaired campaign to the server. I keep getting this error: "The add-on was rejected by the server: Incorrect passphrase."
That is exactly why I wanted to give you the PBL file of the ported one. Since it's the one with the correct passphrase...
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: October 31st, 2022, 8:02 am That is exactly why I wanted to give you the PBL file of the ported one. Since it's the one with the correct passphrase...
Oh! Then yes, please send it to my email address. Thank you.
Author of:
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Due to popular demand, the campaign with frog people has been uploaded to the 1.16 server and is ready for download.
I repeat: The campaign is ready for download.

Act now! Supplies are limited!
Author of:
odanoburu

Post by odanoburu »

Hi! I'm still having the problem with the lower case paths, I'm on version 1.17.10+dev. Just changing two paths (at 3_fairy_ring.cfg l. 53 and at 4_spore_sickness.cfg l. 53) from the_pool_of_ek to The_Pool_of_Ek fixed the problem.
NMerz

Post by NMerz »

Thank you for making this!
(1) What difficulty level did you play the campaign on? Normal

(2) How difficult did you find the campaign? (1-10) 3 (I'll second the report about scenario 4 being a cakewalk; in addition to ease in knocking out the guardians, the loyal units on the keep kept the drake leader from recruiting until I was close enough to plug up his keep myself.)

(3) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the campaign?
The dialog was decent and very clear. The story as a whole was novel and an excellent change from other campaigns.

(4) What were your major challenges in beating the campaign? I failed to sufficiently respect the nagas' water defense in scenario 1 the first time around; my second try went much better.

(5) How fun do you think the campaign is? (1-10) 9

I played on 1.16 and noticed a couple minor bugs:
Scenario 2: I think Gorer should be changed to Woodland Boar -- the former causes an error
Scenario 3: Moho can't place mushrooms even if he says he can
odanoburu

Post by odanoburu »

NMerz wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 3:42 am Scenario 2: I think Gorer should be changed to Woodland Boar -- the former causes an error
I second this; for the easy level it should be Piglet, not Tusklet (at some point the names of the units were changed, I guess…)
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

odanoburu wrote: January 28th, 2023, 2:48 pm
NMerz wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 3:42 am Scenario 2: I think Gorer should be changed to Woodland Boar -- the former causes an error
I second this; for the easy level it should be Piglet, not Tusklet (at some point the names of the units were changed, I guess…)
Updated! Thanks for the report.
Author of:
WLFobe

Post by WLFobe »

About what year is this campaign taking place?
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

"The Pool of Ek"
BfW version 1.15
5 scenarios, small maps

(1) What difficulty level did you play the campaign on?
easy with some extra aids: no time limit and non fatal wounds
(2) How difficult did you find the campaign? (1-10)
(3) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the campaign?
It was beautiful.
(4) What were your major challenges in beating the campaign?
I didn't lost S1. Absolutely zero chance to win. No way to do anything to that orc in the village. Pill bugs bounced off and were massacred. Are you supposed to use the even wimpier dragonflies? Or... does this require reloading saves until you get all hits and never are hit? I never reload.
(5) How fun do you think the campaign is? (1-10)

I love and adore frogfolk delivery but this one is hard to like.

P.S. I decided to give this a second chance and played S1 again with the walkthrough tips give here on the forum. They did work and could be included in the notes since they are required to win.
Sadly S2 was worse. After 5 turns I was facing a massive army of bandits. So I cheated (my way) by using debug to kill about 6 L1 bandits. After that it was possible to win just as time was running out.
I saved at S3 and will trudge on. The dialogue and art of course are superb. The croc with the fork stuck in it was a hoot!

Oh actually found a bug. In S2 at the start dialogue you can see Vinkus on the map with Ziff's fortress. I assume he's not supposed to be there since I noticed he was in the exact same position as his keep was on the next map.