[Complete] Fixed Time Tournament

Moderator: Forum Moderators

neki

[Complete] Fixed Time Tournament

Post by neki »

LAST UPDATED ON: 24-12-2021, MAIN UPDATES: And we have a winner: Danniel_BR. Please see closing post on page 4.
TOURNAMENT DRAW: https://youtu.be/S-OLP6lysp4
QUICK INTRO ABOUT THE TOURNAMENT: https://youtu.be/BCcBlZ52uJE

Hello ladies and gentlemen and welcome to my very first tournament draft.

Please let me know if you would be interested in the following tournament idea:

Small and fast tournament of 8 people, while maintaining the classic ladder game format (300 300 300 0 timer). The goal is for the tournament to not take more than 3 weeks in total. So far these are the people that have shown interest. Since when they first showed interest was ages ago, all these players need to reconfirm or withdraw. In case no reconfirmation is received within 2 weeks, players would be withdrawn automatically.

1. neki
2. Danniel_BR
3. Vilebeggar
4. Krogen
5. matto
6. LunaticPrincess
7. clmates
8. Megac1

WAITING LIST (see my post on page 2):

A1. StonyDrew
A2. Tropt
A3.

GAME TITLE:
Every game played as part of the tournament must have the title prefix "Fixed Time Tournament - "

MAP POOL:
Caves of the Basilisk
Elensefar Courtyard
Hamlets
Howling Ghost Badlands
Silverhead Crossing
Sulla's Ruins
Swamp of Dread
The Freelands
Walls of Pyrennis
Weldyn Channel

MAP SETTINGS: Ladder default with TIMER: 300 300 300 0 and Shuffle Sides enabled

MAP PICKS:
1) All maps have to be part of the above MAP POOL
2) First map is decided by tournament organiser, crowd are welcome to make suggestions during streams
3) Each player bans 2 maps before the series starts
4) The loser of each game chooses the next map from the MAP POOL. The choice must not be a map already played or banned as part of the series.

FACTIONS:
1) Players are free to pick their faction or RANDOM
2) To encourage players to pick RANDOM, players that pick RANDOM have the privillege to request map restart at most once per game. Restart request must occur within the first 2 turns, otherwise it is invalid.

TOURNAMENT TREE: https://youtu.be/S-OLP6lysp4
TournamentTree.png
TournamentTree.png (10.26 KiB) Viewed 4857 times
----------------------------------------
WEEK 1 (from 06-12-2021 to 12-12-2021) SCHEDULE:
1.Krogen [2] vs. clmates [0]
2.neki [2] vs. Vilebeggar [1]
3.matto [2] vs. Megac1 [1]
4.Danniel_BR [2] vs. LunaticPrincess [1]

WEEK 2 (from 13-12-2021 to 19-12-2021) SCHEDULE:
Top semifinals.Krogen [1] vs. neki [2]
Bottom semifinals.matto [0] vs. Danniel_BR [2]

WEEK 3 (from 19-12-2021 to 26-12-2021) SCHEDULE:
Gradfinals: neki [1] vs. Danniel_BR [3]
> Tuesday at 10:00 PM UK time
> Wednesday at 10:00 PM UK time
> Thursday at 10:00 PM UK time
> Friday at 10:00 PM UK time
> Sunday 26th at 10:00 PM UK time
FIRST MAP (read all rules in this post): Howling Ghost Badlands
MAP BANS: neki bans Walls of Pyrennis and Swamp of Dread
Comments:
> Round needs to finish within alloted time slots.
> Both players have provided reasonable availability.
> neki most likely cannot make it for the fixed time he set himself (facepalm). Therefore, Danniel_BR has the option to take the auto-win, or try to delay start time to 10 PM UK time. I might be able to make it at 9:30 PM UK time, but cannot make any promises.
> In the unlikely case the series is not finished by Sunday 26th, the players have 2 options, in this order:
- Keep playing on Sunday until the series concludes (both players must agree)
- Danniel_BR wins due to neki being such a difficult and annoying schedule changer

All games will take place at a fixed time interval: 08:30 PM - 10:30 PM UK time.

All players send in advance the days they are available for the above time interval. This availability will be provided by each competitor at registration time for the next 3 weeks.

Every player must be available for at least 4 days per calendar week, otherwise they cannot register.

Based on the initial availability of each player, the schedule will be automatically generated and everybody must follow the schedule. If anybody cannot make it on the match day (everybody said in advance they would be available on match day), they lose the match automatically. Less drastic rules might be in place for potential future editions of this tournament, but for this first edition we focus on the tournament schedule not being affected.

The tournament will be elimination based with each round being best out of 3 games. The final is the only exception, because it will be best out of 5.

There will be more detailed rules regarding the logistics of each game (allowing 1 restart per player in the fisrt 2 turns, etc.), but the above are the rules that would make this tournament draft different from other tournaments out there.

If you are interested in participating, please let me know. Unfortunately, changes to the fixed time aspect of the tournament will not be possible.

Cheers,

neki

P.S.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/QUESTIONS received from players:
1. Question: "hi @nekismo can we play without timer? I have slow connection and surely dc some times ...."
Response: This is really unfortunate and I really hope we can avoid this scenario, as timer is important to gameplay. However, if player A proposes to play without timer due to whatever reason, including the reason above, the following must happen:
> His round oponnent, player B, needs to agree
> In every time slot a game between A and B MUST finish!
> If the game does not finish within the timeslot, victory for that game and timeslot goes to player B
> There can NEVER be a scenario when both player A and player B propose to play without timer, one player has to fill the role of player A (the one that makes the request and loses the game in case of delays) and the other has to play the role of player B (be the one that accepts the request).
> In case there are any abuses of this rule (the players talk before hand so that they are player A and B alternatively, etc.), players might be disqualified and banned for life from future editions of Fixed Time Tournament.
Last edited by neki on December 24th, 2021, 12:18 am, edited 55 times in total.
Scaramush

Re: [Discussion] Fixed Time Tournament

Post by Scaramush »

it reminds me of "fast-tournaments" of russian-speaking community
neki

Post by neki »

I was not aware of that. I thought my idea of a format was new. Do you think you could advertise this in the Russian community as well? But I would need competitors that can speak decent English. Perhaps the time interval I proposed would be good for players from central or eastern parts of Russia...
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

I fear the timeframe you proposed (23:30 UTC) means the dead of the night for Western Russia and the early lights of the dawn for Siberia. For the Far East it would be morning though
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
neki

Post by neki »

Well, unfortunately I cannot make other time interval and I need to be there to enforce the rules and make sure everything goes smoothly. Unless I can get one of you to volunteer to help me enforce the rules. In this case we can shift the time to 21:30-23;30 UTC, which should be decent for most European and Russian players.
Danniel_BR
2019 Fast Tournament Champion

Post by Danniel_BR »

i'm in
neki

Post by neki »

Welcome. Added you to the list of potential players.
Vilebeggar

Post by Vilebeggar »

I would like to join if you accept me (ladder elo 1600). I will be an good filler if you cant find more elite players to join.
Competitive Wesnoth. For the fans by the fans.
neki

Post by neki »

Welcome. It's first come, first saved basis. If later on you wish to grant a personal wish from a late joiner to take your place, that is entirely up to you. Added to the list of potential players.
Boy

Post by Boy »

neki wrote: December 18th, 2020, 5:37 pm ...everybody must follow the schedule.

...fixed time aspect of the tournament...
Ha-ha-ha. Ha. Best wishes to make it true )

Excluding some players, okay.
Tropt

Post by Tropt »

join
neki

Post by neki »

Welcome. Added you to the list of players. If we get two more players by the end of tomorrow, I am thinking of doing a round robin of 6 instead of elimination (everybody would play 5 games in total instead of maximum 3 games at each round).

The most important thing is for people to stick to the fixed time slot and for us to see how fast we can get the tournament rolling.
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Computer_Player »

This is perfect time for me for once. I'm in.

Scratch that, sorry I thought it said AM not PM. So it turns out its early morning for me, which sadly I can't do. A pity. Will be watching with interest anyway.
ForPeace

Post by ForPeace »

Computer_Player wrote: March 17th, 2021, 11:53 pm This is perfect time for me for once. I'm in.

Scratch that, sorry I thought it said AM not PM. So it turns out its early morning for me, which sadly I can't do. A pity. Will be watching with interest anyway.
Not sure you've noticed the previous post here was in 2020
Polish BfW fansite | Polish BfW translation | My Ladder profile

"When I say I've been playing for 10 years people come saying they've played for 15 years and that I know nothing about this game because I didn't use to play when the TRUE pros were playing xD" ~Hejnewar
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

ForPeace wrote: March 21st, 2021, 9:18 am
Computer_Player wrote: March 17th, 2021, 11:53 pm This is perfect time for me for once. I'm in.

Not sure you've noticed the previous post here was in 2020
yes but neki recently linked it in the ladder discord because he'd still like to do this
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236